Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paint job price quotes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lo-fi, Mar 20, 2012.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Explain what this is, slaping it back on or fixing the dings and polishing it and supplying all the missing clips? If so the guy is giving you a heck of a deal. :)

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That's what I was thinking. And I think you're lucky that anyone will shoot over your bodywork.

mach1oh likes this.
  3. 53210

BANNED
    from canada

Price is very fair,I am a painter at a dealership,and I know for us supplies on a complete would run $1500-$1800 easy.
    The only thing that puzzles me is any good painter would not just "paint"a car,to get the best possible job you need to do ALL the prep work yourself.

4. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

IMO- that's dirt cheap- maybe scary-cheap.
    My car was painted by Mick Jenkens @ So Cal & it was alot more than that & mines a little roadster!
    Hell, my Ricklefs flames were more than that!

5. swimeasy

swimeasy

I do not paint anything but swimming pools, but a 3.5K paint job sounds like a great deal to me. Remenber, this guy is willing to paint over body work that he did'nt do and has to buy materials and have a paint booth and mess with all sorts of chemicals that can't be good for you and he has got to make some money!

6. 48cad

48cad

way to cheap ! If your comfortable with the shops quality, and your comfortable that they can do the job in a timely manner... have em do it.
    That said... I would not expect that shop to be in business long using all PPG materials, sanding and buffing, installing trim and weatherstrip?? Sounds like 8 - 10 k to me.
    I would not expect them to stand behind any future problems as they have no idea what is underneath. Goodluck whatever u choose.

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

Seems way too cheap for a base coat / clear coat. I've heard of many two year paint jobs. Make sure you check their references before committing.

8. hellcat666

hellcat666

sounds like a gift from the shop that wants to put all chrome and weather stripping back on it. just remeber in this business, you get what you pay for!! my shop has customers that had there cars painted at other places and they say oh it cost me 5 grand, but this job you guys did on this car looks better. well the better looking job cost about $15,000 and there job is full of orange peel, dust and lint, and tons of other mistakes here and there. is your ok with a 20 footer paint job then its fine, but dont excpect a 2 foot paint job for a 20 footer price. eaither way good luck and hope your car comes out great!!

9. hellcat666

hellcat666

antother excellent point, we have had these jobs come across my shop here and there and the ones we ended up spraying over we must have told the customer 100 times that if something goes wrong its going to 99% not be our fault.

10. If you can get all that done by a reputable shop for $3.5K I'm bringing my next car to VA for paint.

11. choppedmerc

choppedmerc
    from Spokane

Striped to bare metal, rust repair, painted and reassembled for $1560!! you should almost feel bad. But then again when I was in High School I made that mistake a couple times :(

Lo-fi - like you have said consider there turn around time, and the amount of additional work they need to do to satisfy there standards.

I almost absolutely refuse to spray anything unless I personally strip it to bare metal and work it up. I have strayed from my own advice a couple of times and it totally bit me in the ass and body work was done by a competent individual.

$3500 seams like a decent quote from a shop, keep in mind there overhead costs and work load it might creep up a little higher on you by the end. Its already been said but a good wet sand a buff job could take 30 -40 hours easy. So at a real world shop rates you are getting a bargain :)

12. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

I think it is a good deal. Paint for the car will be 1500( Might be less) and say they put in 40 hours on your car at a rate of 35.00 an hour, thats 1400.00 so we are at 2900.00 not counting missing trim clips and the such. I can very well see adding in a 500.00 CYA buffer just incase.

IMHO, if they have a good rep and you like their work, jump on it!

13. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

This has been a eye opening read for me.
    First of all, it seems to me that the price is vary much depending on where you live.
    And as always, how much money you can/would be able spend on a paint job.

I seen posts on here, saying that 3500 to 10 grand is what is to be expected, for a decent job.
    We must just live in different worlds, because I would never have that kind of cash, to lay out on paint.
    And even if I did, I wouldnt do it, because If I had a 3500to10,000 dollar job, I would be afraid to get it out on the road and drive it, for fear of getting a paint chip or parking lot door ding or something.

My coupe basically dont need any major body work, just paint chips etc etc. And I had two different guys estimate painting mine with me removing and installing the chrome etc.
    Both estimates came around 1500 to 1800 bucks.

Of course I will have it paint myself, because of money issues.
    And also I figure if I am going to strip it down and prep it etc, I mightiest well just shoot it too.

I have done some armature paint jobs and I also dont understand the paint suppys/price quotes, that I have read on here.
    I recently painted a truck and I used base/clear, martin brand stuff from napa,
    And it came out ok and the owner seemed satisfied and I had around 450 to 550 in suppys.

Everybody should and must, do what they can afford and what makes them happy.
    So if you can afford the 3500/10,000 grand paint jobs more power to ya.

But I cant and also wouldnt want to be cruising down the road worrying about a big junebug, bouncing off my car, chipping my paint. lol

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  14. To me it seems cheap. Here in Australia, I was super happy with my inexpensive bare metal paint job for $13K on my hamb unfriendly '71 Falcon . The dude worked on it for 16 weeks full time. It's a great job even 2 inches away! H.R.D.

Before...

[​IMG]

16 weeks later....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

You can't go by price alone. I've seen guys who got ripped off with over 10K paint jobs, and guys who have killer ones that paid 1500. You really need to see the shop's work, and get a full description of what they are going to do.
    Not knowing anything else, I would think that they probably have a great spray booth, and a good painter, and plan on NOT sanding and buffing, as they get good paint right out of the booth. That would be the only way a shop can make any money on your job.
    That said, is is a good price for the work. Paint materials alone probably cost about a grand. I'm sure they will do a final blocking out, which can take anywhere from 5-to-whatever hours. Even at 50 an hour, that can add up.
    If the shop does good work, even without a "good" sanding and buffing, that is a good deal.
    A "good" sand and buff can take 40 hours or more, as has been said, so that can add on 2000+ to a paint job. Even just doing door jams and edges can take longer than the whole car to paint.

16. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

Just had a friend take his car to Macco & he paid $950. He had the bumpers off & said he sanded it, but they went over it. Looks great. Base coat/clear coat. NEXT to no body shop in Wi. will paint an old car.

17. 19Fordy

19Fordy

That's a fair price.

18. larry k

larry k

THE ONLY THING HOLDS TRUE HERE IS ( YOU SHOULD GET, WHAT YOU PAID FOR ? ):confused:

19. Cosidering the cost of materials, I'd say that their on the money. I just had to buy a gallon of PPG base that was $280.00 a gallon a year and a half ago. It's now at $420.00 so do the math and it's a fair price.

20. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

that is really cheap. to do the jambs of a 4 door plus under the hood and trunk. then install trim

21. OneBad56

OneBad56

For a single stage paint, plus the hot rod black with a satin clear, the paint costs were $2100 in total and the labour to paint was $2800 (almost 33 hours - lots of small parts to paint too).

Cost may seem high but I was painting a truck, more to paint than a car.

Bodywork and primer was was already done.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  22. charlieb66

charlieb66

"They primarily specialize in newer insurance jobs as most shops do these days. But there are a lot of older 50's and 60's projects in the shop right that they showed me. "

If this is the case, don't expect to ride anytime soon. Ask for the car owner's name and see how long the cars have been at the shop. Insurance claims are the bread and butter.

23. I have painted for over 30 years and have learned NEVER PAINT ANYTHING THAT SOMEONES DONE THE PREP AND BODY WORK. its your shops reputation on the line. If something goes wrong under the paint you get the blame. been there done that. it ticks me off that people want a cheep price and then pick the job to death when its done.Please dont look for the cheepest price and expect it to be perfect.....IF YOU PAY FOR QUALITY YOU SHOULD GET QUALITY,.iF YOU PAY FOR CHEEP YOU SHOULD GET CHEEP....TOU DON'T GET THE $1.00 BAG FOR THE DIME PRICE.........

24. senior fried

senior fried

This is all I need to say ! worth the drive up .

25. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

That $3500 estimate sounds cheap to me. The key to a good paint job is the pre-paint prep work. I've seen high dollar jobs that after they were in the sun awhile you could see all the sanding marks under the paint. The surface was nice and smooth, but closer inspection revealed the underlying sand marks. PRE-PAINT PREP!!!!

26. ^^^^^^^^What he said.
    $3,500 is cheap.

27. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

In the world of body work and paint, you get what you pay for! $3,500 for under the hood and jams is a real good price.

28. What I tell people who ask for a round about paint price and they gripe, I just say, "Go do one first then come back and tell me what you know now" anything less than 4500 is a good deal if the job is good.

Been in it for 45 yrs and dealt with hundreds of shops, prices are all over but I have seen a $2k job look better than $15k job and that cheapo was done under a tree.

29. Amen Bob. Well said