Register now to get rid of these ads!

paint Idea

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Julio, May 25, 2010.

1. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

this is probably a simple question to some of you paint gurus, but was just wondering, how would flat paint look with metal flake, not just a satin metallic like hot rod flatz but with real flake? pictures would be great, PS. sorry about the newbie questions!

2. willriseley

willriseley
    from Kent, UK

it looks pretty cool, cant find any pics right now but it looks good, Id say shoot your base colour, then your flake to desired depth/amount/coverage then a clear with flat/matt agent added to it

3. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

rad thanks dude, what about a glossy pre flaked paint like eastwoods Tequila lime &gold but flattened, I think that would be cool...

Anymore guys?!?!?

4. howco

howco

How about a flat base coat with the flake in the clear coat???

5. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

hmmmmmmmmmmm..................... im gonna start messing with combinations, but help would be appreciated

6. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

I just picked up the color for my car. Flat copper pearl. I'm dying to see how the pearl looks flattened, I'll post pics when I spray in a couple weeks.

7. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

8. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

9. Special Ed

Special Ed

Metalflake is shiny. That's how it's used. It sparkles. I don't understand the purpose of applying something that is intended to sparkle and shine, then attempting to dull it's appearance...I don't understand what you are trying to do, or what you're looking for. :confused:

10. DAPER DAVE

DAPER DAVE
    from N/A

Their are a few places that sell metal flake paint in a rattle can. I would use the flat paint as a primer or base coat and spray the metal flake over it. Or you could use a clear coat with metalic that would also work. Eather way it something different and would look cool. When I find the website that sells this paint I will post it for you. They also make paint that sprays on to Chrome look good when done right. Their are a few places on my Dodge that I'm going to use this paint on. I hope it turns out okay.

11. DAPER DAVE

DAPER DAVE
    from N/A

The one my friend used was the Duplicolor Flake. Their are also a few other companies that sell it but thats the only one I know at this time.

12. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

It will look like flat paint with colored freckles.

Gloss clear is what makes flake come alive.

Sounds like a waste of materials to me. ...but I have been wrong before.

13. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Hey, satin flakes. Maybe they can come out with flat black flakes.:D

14. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

look at HRF metallics color line and you guys will get the idea, its all about poppin in the sun!

15. DAPER DAVE

DAPER DAVE
    from N/A

I found another paint store that sells metal flake its called ALSACROP. Its a little expensive but there products are good.