Register now to get rid of these ads!

PAINT GUYS- wet sanding question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr.Musico, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

How long should you wait before wet sanding a new paint job? car was painted saturday- weather the past few days has been over 100 degrees, how long to wait before wet/color sanding? Thanks

2. squirrel

squirrel

might give us a hint about what type of paint it is?

3. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

i would give it 2 weeks to cut and buff. or cut a first layer to let it breathe then come back a week later and do it all.

i always start with 800 grit and finish with 2000

4. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

If this is a full urethane with the correct amount of hardner in the base and clear coats I'd say you better get busy! If you wait a week in this weather you'll have a hell of a time pullin a shine outa the clear without some serious work. Good well balanced clears continue to harden as they kick & dry, and make for more work if left to kick too long.
    If this is a solvent based finish I wouldn't touch it for a good week or two.

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

5. JoeMan

JoeMan

When I spray a complete and am going for a high end finish, base clear or single stage, I almost always wait at least a week before I sand and buff... Lets things dry and shrink down. Regardless of what grit you start with, when you finish with 2000 grit, most all of 'em buff pretty decent. Especially when you start with wool, them foam compound, then your polish. I have good luck with this anyway.

6. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

yeah it is- urethane bc/cc - just wanted to make sure monday wouldnt be too soon

7. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

72 hours is the magic time. This gives the paint time to cure but it's not too hard to sand. By the time you've sanded the complete car (3 more days) it should be ready to compound and polish. Works for me. ( 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000 and 2500 if a show car) Three coats of clear is a good idea if your colour sanding 7 times!! I cut with 600 to get rid of the orange peel and get it flat. This is what you'll get!!

The Old Tinbasher

Attached Files:

• #47.jpg
      #47.jpg
      File size:
      175.8 KB
      Views:
  8. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

looks great.... on my other cars i had waited like almost a week, but the weather this week being very hot and very dry had me thinking