Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Paint code cross ref "Apache Gold"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Torana68, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Torana68

Torana68
    from Australia

I've been trying to sort this out for a while with no luck. Apache Gold 4298 (PPG 22601 Dupont 69789) I need the code for this colour in either Sikkens or AkzoNobel as thats all my local paint place has and the computer says "no". This is an International Harvester Truck colour from 1964.

2. You're going to have trouble with any old colours. Modern toners are not the same as the ones back in the day so any formulas are out the window, in other words, they can't punch the code into the computer and spit out a formula.

Do you have a sample? Best thing if you have is to take it so the can scan it and see what the computer comes up with. Or, try to match to a modern colour and tweak from there, depending how crucial it is.

I do get why you are asking this.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  3. Torana68

Torana68
    from Australia

yep but if we gel close I can adjust, but at the moment I'm stuck, the dash piece I have is too faded to try and scan. I might have to try and find a PPG place interstate and see if I can get a tin freighted but that might get costy.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Torana68 likes this.

5. Torana68 likes this.
  6. Torana68

Torana68
    from Australia

PPG used to be everywhere...........

7. Torana68

Torana68
    from Australia

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  8. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Try paintref.com has all the different makes and cross references for the different paint companies.

Torana68 likes this.
  9. Torana68

Torana68
    from Australia

Thanks Ill go look now.

10. Torana68

Torana68
    from Australia

ok now I need the formula for PPG 22601, if it exists, PPG's computer down here said "no". Dupont 96789 would do as well.

11. Those old paint codes are pretty much useless. As mentioned the toners no longer exist to mix most of them. If it's not in PPG's computer then there is no formula. It also means that there is little chance Dupont (Axalta now) can mix it either. Your only hope will probably be to get some mixed by TCP Global through their Auto Color Library and have it shipped and then try and match from there. They have done all the work to cross over old toners to new so can match pretty much anything but it won't be cheap. A quart will range from $109 US to $180 US depending on the type of paint for that colour. Click the search button then click the Type C on the next page and it will allow you to figure out cost variations for paint type.

https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/pages/1965-International.html#modal-close

Good luck.