Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paint/Body Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sting Ray, Apr 8, 2012.

1. I'm at the point to start primering my '57 but need to know if it needs to go back to bare metal first.

The po says it was bead blasted to bare ass and then it was sprayed with Rustoleum, I assumed primer. While at a paint store, for house paint, I see a rattle can of the stuff he used, it's semi-gloss black stove paint!

Can I primer over this? Where I've used plastic filler I sanded to clean metal first and the metal looks good under the paint.

Attached Files:

2. BISHOP

BISHOP

3. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

I would strip it all off. Better safe than sorry.

4. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

It should all come off if you have any hopes of doing anything even semi serious with the car.

5. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Now would be a good time to figger out just what kinda paint job you want on your '57. Real automotive paint doesn't come in a rattle can! Most rattle can finishes are short lived, especially if painted over with a catylized finish. I'd remove all of the rattle can primer, and replace it with a full urethane primer.
    A cheap paint job ain't cheap if you have to repaint it again.:(

" Life ain't no Disney movie "

6. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

^^^ What he said ^^^

7. JxCentralCal

JxCentralCal

That's good it was blasted so you won't have too many layers to take off but like said previously before any new paint goes on I would remove all the rustoleum. Your paintjob will only be as good as its foundation.

8. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Start with BARE METAL. If not, you'll kick yourself when the Rustoleum makes the top coat(s) peel off ! ! !

VR&C.

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Rustoleum is NOT automotive paint.

R-

10. flathead okie

flathead okie

In the early 70's my Dad heavily primered a car with rustoleum because the car was pitted. he painted over it with acrylic enamel and didn't ever have problems with it for the 10 yrs he owned it.
    Have you guys done this and had problems or are saying don't because you really don't know.

11. Squablow

Squablow

Rustoleum has it's place, even in the old car world, but it will make a piss poor basecoat/primer for a paint job. The issue is not the fact that it came out of a spray can (paint is paint) but that Rustoleum was made to be a top coat over rusty metal (I think it was originally used in shipyards) and if I remember correctly, it has oil in it. That's what gives it it's rust covering qualities, but it also makes it incompatible underneath other types of paint.

You might be able to find a primer that will cover it, but if it's really only one layer thick over bare metal, I think it would be well worth the effort to sand it off first. Fish eyes and lifting/mapping are common when those types of paints are topcoated.

12. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

Get it off. Sand or wipe it off with lacquer thinner. It may be gummy to sand all the way, so plan of use thinner at least some.