Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paint and Body Guys, Need your Advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AcadianKid, May 8, 2010.

1. AcadianKid

AcadianKid

The paint under the wiper cowl has flaked off.I wanna do a quicky fix of it. My plan is to tape the area off and tape a piece of sandpaper to something that will fit in between the grooves sanding it smooth and then blowing it out. Then taking either some semi gloss black or the car color and shooting thru the grooves. Is there some type of paint nozzle extension to ensure that I won't get any on the cowl itself. (I am assuming I can use a straw attached to the rattle can.)

Or is there just a better way of doing this period??

This is a 62 Acadian (Canadian Nova) and the cowl does not come out or off.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  2. little skeet

little skeet
    from huston

If you put a straw on the rattle can....you will spray a stream of paint. Better mask the area off before you paint it. Also, shoot some primer on it first!

3. ken1939

ken1939

Dont know if its a better or easier idea, but pulling the panel out may be needed.

I know more work.

I dont know if you can get good coverage by shooting through the taped louver area. It may come out stripey.

Unless you try masking off and using an air brush. Would take longer due to the coverage, but its small and could fit inside the louvers.

You can buy canned air if you dont have a compressor.

Then theres the old brush method.

4. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

The guy who painted our Nova used a wand that you use to spray under coat type stuff with. It fit between the slots in the cowl. It looked OK but wasn't the best. I ended up putting a hole in the end of the cowl under the fenders on each side and had him respray it with the long nozzle. This let him traverse back and forth and left a smoother texture. I did this before the car went together so the fenders were not in the way, so you would have to pull the fenders to get to this area. Just remember to mask the slots so nothing comes through. Then plug the hole with a plastic snap in cap like what they use in door jambs.