Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Paint advice?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sugarskull, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Sugarskull

Sugarskull
    from Calgary

Hello boys! Well, it turns out I'm getting a sprayer for my Birthday, so I'm looking to repaint my '51. Yay! However, I'm not really sure where to start.

I would love to hear some advice on prep and what paint to use if you could be so kind. Just assume I know nothing... which would be true. :)

Pics of your vehicles and stories of how you fixed yours up would also be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Sugarskull.

2. what finish is on it now?

3. Sugarskull

Sugarskull
    from Calgary

[​IMG]

In this pic, there was house paint on it at one point, some nail polish, crackle paint... umm, some original paint and some that has been done at shop when she was in an accident- or so I'm guessing.

I have removed the flames and nail polish and house paint since I took this pic and there is just primer stripe down the middle there right now. The visor is completely stripped.

4. Take your time and pay careful attention to PREP WORK and CLEANLINESS. Don't be too hard on yourself if it comes out with a sag or a run. Non-metallics are easier to start with. Shoot a test panel or two to get the feel for the gun first. And don't forget to pay attention to PREP WORK and take the time to be CLEAN.

Good Luck!

5. madgrinder

madgrinder

What's up Sugarskull? You know me :)

Prep work is #1 priority. Get the door edges aligned and block the whole car as a unit. Of all the expensive body gadgets available, most good body guys (gals) find themselves most often with a sanding block in their hand.

I would shoot basecoat/clearcoat in a "second" brand, like Nason (Dupont's "Squier" brand). Base/clear is easier to get a shiny finish because you can block the basecoat before shooting clear, and you can cut and buff clear really easily.

MG aka SJ

6. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Number one is safety
    New respirator. Wear before start mixing the paint
    Ventilation. Etc.
    Most important

Have fun

7. Sugarskull

Sugarskull
    from Calgary

Hey SJ!!

Nice to see some familiar type. :)

Thanks guys, more info the better. PLease feel free to show off your work!!

8. will it be stripped to bare metal? if not after the body work is done sand the surface with 180 grit, seal with epoxy primer, then prime with a "filler" primer, block sand with 400 grit wet sand paper or 600 grit if spraying with base coat/ clear. clean and tape the car and paint

9. Sugarskull

Sugarskull
    from Calgary

Yes, I was thinking of stripping her down to bare metal. I have an angle grinder.

Should I use one of these?
    [​IMG]

or one with sandpaper on it? If so, what grit, 240?

10. i tried one of those pads before worked great but didn't last long. 240 grit will take for ever try 80.

11. Sugarskull

Sugarskull
    from Calgary

Okay, will do. I was using the angle grinder, but thought it was maybe taking off too much, so I switched to 240 by hand and it was taking forever. Thanks for the advice.

12. LowerthanLife

LowerthanLife

i was just stripping layers of paint and pretty thick fillers off a quarterpanel which was repaired in the 80s. i used the 36 grit angle grinder, slowly, till i just barely saw sparks, then i used the 'quickstrip' disk thingy like the one above, and then used the d/a w 40 grit paper. i used this sequence so i wouldent take off any metal! i see these guys grinding down their cars to bare metal all the time and its a little extreme, and unnecessary, and thins the metal too much. keep that in mind.