Register now to get rid of these ads!

packing leaf springs with grease?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by telecustom, Dec 29, 2009.

1. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

Is this the kinda thing to do, or just clean 'em up fresh rust paint and bolt them back in?

2. Andy

Andy

Yes. Remove any ridges from wear and grease them up. Later springs had a channel and a zerk for grease.

3. Fogger

Fogger

I've used poly liner on leaf springs for over 30 years. Don't make noise and give consistent compression and rebound. Also have never worn out the liners and have put them on all my leaf spring vehicles.

4. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

mix some graphite powder in with the grease. THis works great...

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

40's and 50's Chevys are wrapped in lead. that stuff holds the grease. I think grease is good. I think I'd leave it if I had a choice.

6. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

Ok cool I just put another coat of paint on, one more to go. Ill look in to packing tomry when the shops open.

7. Grease also attracks dirt...get dirt in the grease and it'll slowly eat your springs away. If you wanna grease em, you gotta wrap em good as well.

8. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

Well it looks like im staying away from grease because this is a rear model a spring and iv dressed up the ends of each leaf so this will be unwrapped. Im down to poly liner unless the graphite holds back the dirt in the grease. lots of good ones if anyone has a tip feel free. Thanks

9. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I've used anti-seize before - seems to provide good results.