Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Packard V8 engine to early Ford transmission adapter??

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by PackardV8, May 13, 2014.

1. PackardV8

PackardV8

I know they existed at one time, but I've never seen one. Anyone got one, know of one, ever seen one?

jack vines

2. 41PICUP

41PICUP

You might try Wilcap, their in So. California.

3. PackardV8

PackardV8

Nothing at Wilcap. Anyone have a lead?

jack vines

4. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I'm confident that Bendstens adapters out of MN would have what your looking for. If not they would gladly fab something up for you.

5. mt94ss

mt94ss

6. George

George

d
    Did you call? Or just looked on line?

7. A Packard V8 to a Ford trans sounds like a dandy way to break a bunch of Ford transmissions. With so many better options out there, why even consider it?

The Packard V8 with a factory manual trans used a Borg-Warner trans that is externally identical to the 55-56 Ford V8 manual trans - but it's even possible to break that Ford trans behind the Packard, because I looked at this years ago and found guys would use the Ford when they couldn't find the Packard and then break that too. Apparently the Packard issue had tougher gears in it.

8. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

This is from a 1965 Almquist catalog. Have seen one in person and pretty sure it was thick steel, 1/2"-5/8"? Early Ford transmissions were weak but they adapted everything else to them and once you have that adapter your options are nearly endless.

DSCN7518.JPG DSCN7523.JPG

9. Ole don

Ole don

I agree with post seven. The young guys today may not know that back in the day, we could go to any junk yard and take our pick of floor shift Ford trannys for three to five dollars. That is the only reason they were adapted to many high torque engines like the Packard.

10. daily_driver

daily_driver

Ive actually looked into this for the 352 motors and the main problem isn't finding an adapter, it's finding the Packard bellhousing, clutch and pressure plate. There were very few made with sticks, all automatics. What year packard motor are you trying to adapt? What year ford transmission?-dd

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. daily_driver

daily_driver

Does anyone happen to know who has the Almquist patterns, if they still exist?-dd

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Try Mark Shepard, 860-884-6833. he has quite a few adapters. nick.

13. PackardV8

PackardV8

Hi, Guys,

Thanks for the feedback and I should have given more detail about WIGO.

Yes, I know the early Ford tranny is too weak for the Packard V8, but this is for a Bonneville roadster and standing starts aren't the problem.

Yes, I've got several Packard standard shift bell housings and have used the Borg-Warner T85, T10, Ford Top Loader and most every other manual trans. The roadster is set up with an early Ford driveline.

Yes, I called Wilcap and they don't have Packard V8/early Ford.

Yes, I e-mailed Bernsten and they don't have a Packard V8/early Ford. His reply. "Like the website says, any Chev V8 style trans."

Again, thanks for the suggestions and put out the word. My $14.50 plus shipping is waiting for that Almquist 60-736 adapter.

jack vines