Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Packard Hood Ornament? Help me out!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lorollinls, Feb 29, 2016.

1. lorollinls

lorollinls
    from TN

From my half ass google searching skills, this seems to be a 1939 Packard Super 8 hood ornament. Is this correct? Not sure what sub-model it would have came on... If you have any more info on these, please feel free to share!

Thanks,

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Looks a lot like the one from my 33 Packard. But it was on the radiator cap.

3. jimdillon

jimdillon

It is the Goddess of Speed and was used in various forms for 20 years or so on the more expensive Packards. I do not think they were used on the junior series cars (but maybe, they could have been specially ordered-who knows). Yours looks similar to those used on the late 30s customs and early 40s Clipper models but it appears to be missing the glass wing. Look on the underside of the top protrusion and see if there is a groove where a piece of glass may go.

I believe you are correct a late 30s Super 8 would be a senior series car and may have this mascot or one very similar.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Known in some disreputable Packard circles as the "Donut Chaser"..

5. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Yep, Pre-War Packard. Should have the glass "wing" as well.

[​IMG]

6. lorollinls

lorollinls
    from TN

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies!