Register now to get rid of these ads!

Package arrived today no part?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by temper_mental, Jun 24, 2011.

1. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I bought a horn button from a fellow HAMB member. He shipped United States Postal when it arrived it was worn open at one end and the part was missing. It was stamped "Received without contents,unsealed". I feel screwed but my question is by who?

Attached Files:

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

my feeling is by USPS

it looks to be shipped in a padded envelope, and it was in their hands last..who else could you blame?
    why blame the guy that sent it? he gave it to them in an approved envelope..im sure he didnt rip the corner open just before sending it.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  3. UPS has done the same thing to me,and it was more trouble than it was worth.:mad:HRP

4. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

The post office.they're really a terrible company, and I've experienced alot of similar problems..however, if you got insurance they're usually pretty good about cutting a check.

5. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

UPS Lost Some 40 axlebells I sent to a hamber...They were 60 pounds and in a box half the size of a dishwaher...and it took them more than a year to cut me an insurance check...will never use UPS again.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

7. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

70 % USPS.

30% Sender.

Should have been put into a small box. Envelopes get ripped open easily when they have parts in them. The sorting machines and slots will push the part down and out the end of the envelope.

8. That looks ripped open at the edge rather than "unsealed".

9. rougebeats

rougebeats

The only way to tell for sure is to kindly ask the seller to provide you with a copy of the receipt. It will show the weight of the package on the receipt when paid for(before it is even processed). If the seller is honest, he will have nothing to hide. If the weight on the receipt is heavier than it is now, you will have your answer. Good luck

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Had the same thing happen with a Fedex package recently. Open on one end and part of the contents missing. I assume the missing parts are rolling around a Fedex truck, and the supplier sent me new pieces when I called them. But mine was from a company selling new parts, so they were easy to replace. I doubt they even messed with contacting Fedex.

11. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Talk to the seller first before you ask us if you if he ripped you off.

12. If it was not insured you may have no recourse but to bite the bullet.
    I would take it back to my local USPS store and talk to the postmaster and
    see what they can do seeing as it was in their hands when it was opened.

13. chaddilac

chaddilac

I've had some packages from hambers that were just rattling around in a paper envelope and nearly lost! some where the parts were hanging out. They're usually just to cheap or lazy to use a box. You have to take special precautions when shipping something heavy that's small.

I'd say 50/50 on usps and the hamber, it should've had tape all around it to keep it in!

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

horn button shipped in an envelope? what a knucklehead.

100% the sellers fault. USPS didn't put it in an envelope.

15. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

What year and make was the horn button ? one of us kindhearted guys might have a free replacement

16. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Had the samething happen to me with one of their packages, went to see local postmaster
    , said thats to bad but nothing he could do and turned around and walked away.

17. al8apex

al8apex

I make my living shipping things to people.

I buy things too

It never ceases to amaze me what some people think is "good enough" for packing.

99.9% HAMBER fault
    .1% USPS IMHO

chaddilac said it best:

"They're usually just to cheap or lazy to use a box."

18. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

It was rubbed open

I sent him 2 messages not very responsive.

Are you serious?

They will tell me sorry but it was packed improperly.

Yes tape would have keep this from happening.

X2

X2

19. coolmilitary

coolmilitary
    from So Cal

Have you talked to the seller yet? I once mailed an electric antenna for a 60's car and the package ripped open. He got a box but with no antenna inside. I refunded the guys money. Felt it was my fault for not packaging it well enough to survive the trip.

20. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I sent him a few messages he sent me this back:

got message .i sent it in a brand new padded packaging envelope.

21. alchemy

alchemy

All packages I send have about a half roll of tape on them before they hit the shipper. Even if there is insurance, I'd hate to deal with replacing the part if lost.

Unless that's how you told him to ship it, I think your situation is the seller's fault. Stupid to mail a non-flat part in an envelope.

22. ecna

ecna

If you put a part in an envelope, it can get pushed out the side (torn through) of the envelope during machine handling. The part is definitely sitting in a USPS building somewhere, but I can't really say it's there fault. It shouldn't have been packed like that.

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

nice reply. who is this butthead? wanna make sure I never buy anything from him

24. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

The wife ordered an art book for me for my birthday.The artist gift-wrapped it and then carefully wrapped it again and placed it inside a USPS endorsed container.
    I have no doubts USPS or its agents then tore it open,ripped the outer wrap,then the gift wrap.Someone had the decency to place the whole shooting match inside a plastic USPS bag and finish shipping it to me in time.
    Me thinks it was a tweaker looking for a score?

25. I bought a '32 axle from a HAMBer once. Sent the $$$ & a week later a box arrived with a hole in the end of it. He had tossed it in a box that was big enough for it to rattle around enough to punch a hole in the end. An axle doesn't even NEED packing. It's not like it's going to break.

I was out $300 on that deal - UPS said it wasn't packed well. Insurance didn't pay.

Keeping something from moving inside the package is half the battle. I pack items I ship tight.

JH

26. Man I have to think with that kind of response to you about the packing, the HAMB'er who did that needs to be called out on here before anyone else buys from him and gets the same results.

27. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

Same thing happened to me once. I like to think whoever found it went half mad trying to figure out what the heck a banana grooved BB Mopar rocker shaft was for.

28. Fenders

Fenders

You are right some things don't need packing. I once shipped a two foot piece of palo verde tree limb by USPS, I just taped an address label to it...

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That sucks but it looks like the package got caught on a conveyor belt and got burned thorough by the belt and then the part fell out.
    I've had packages come in that way when I was buying a lot of parts for a factory a few years ago. They get pretty beat up at times.

30. Rem

Rem

I just had a Harley 21" front wheel delivered to me with bubble-wrap around each side of the hub and a shipping label taped to the tyre! No damage, thankfully, but I'm really surprised it didn't disappear into the ether somewhere along the way.

I always over-pack things for shipping - my motto on posting items is "Trust no one". Many years ago I posted a sample spring to a customer at work: it was only about 3/8" diameter and 2" long, and he gave me a royal bollocking for putting it lose in an envelope as it arrived hanging out the end. Since then I always tape whatever it is to a piece of card, usually with the address on it, before sealing it in a suitable bag or envelope.