Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods P.O.R. 15 and lacquer thinner....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, May 27, 2018.

1. Ok, so I needed to touch up a few spots under my floor with my POR15 but it was really thick. The instructions on the can say to thin with POR thinner...only POR thinner.
    BAH! I've been cleaning my little detail gun with lacquer thinner and it cuts POR 15 just fine.....I'll just thin with lacquer thinner.
    Mixed up a nice batch of paint in my little detail gun and thinned with about 2 table spoons of lacquer thinner. After, I hung the gun on a hook long enough to open my garage windows and door. Grabbed the detail gun and DAMN! The gun was hot enough to burn me! Quick like a bunny, I scooted under the car and did my painting, being careful not to touch my arm with the reservoir. As soon as I finished I dumped the left-over paint [with gloves on] and immediately cleaned the gun before the paint turned solid.
    Close one! Anybody else have experience with this?

2. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

No, but oh man. I too have some POR that is too thick to spray and it lives on the shelf with the lacquer thinner and I wouldn’t have thought twice either, yikes.

Cliff Ramsdell

3. belair

belair

Sounds like those nitro+hydrazine stories. I left some catalyze primer in a touch up gun too long one time. Thankfully it was a Harbor Freight gun.

4. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Yeah, we old painters always know better than the manufacturers.:rolleyes: Always read and follow instructions! lol Larry

henryj1951 likes this.

5. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I seriously hope you were wearing some type of respirator...…
    The vapors can really FUP your lungs and nervous system.
    Basically the chemical reaction was the lacquer thinner is a electrophile and POR 15 has Isocyanates in it which are nucleophiles.
    Yep - nucleophiles and electrophiles and walla - heated up those chemical molecules....chemical reaction...…
    Isocyanates are extremely nasty and dangerous affects to your respiratory and nervous system.
    Vapors can over come you in brief moments with respiratory / nervous system damage.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Yeah, Cob.....I never spray paint without a respirator. Mine is a nice, new one bought just for this job.

lothiandon1940 likes this.