Register now to get rid of these ads!

p-51 belly tank vs p-38 belly tank???pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskoolflyer13, Sep 14, 2010.

1. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Doing some research on belly tanks as Im looking to buy one. Are their any pics of p-51 tanks with the engine mounted behind the driver? or did most use a larger tank for say off of a p-38? Any pics of p-51 tankers like that? And what are the length and max width for both (was told the p-51 is 11' x 28" and the p-38 is 10' x 29''......by the sellers....does that sound right for the p-51..im waitn on pics)

I know...lots of questions but the answers arent readily available via google...hopefully will get some help or pointed to the right person

2. Ramblur

Ramblur

P-51 tanks that I'm familiar with are the drop tanks under the wings and
    are fairly small. Did they even have belly tanks for a 51? Seems like the
    gear doors and air scoop would be in the way...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

i do believe they had large and small....could be wrong

4. If you could even find a tank from a P-51 or a P-38 it would be worth a fortune. Those things are pretty rare.

5. big creep

big creep

p 51 tanks were made of paper, not all but some because of metal shortage. some were made of metal, but most were paper for the p51! they could only hold fuel for a short time, like paper cups they make today.

6. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

The tank i was lead to ....is around 11 feet long and 28 inches.....ideas of what this is off...soon as i get pics i will post....was told a p-51 tank. Burke used a p-51 didnt he at first?

7. From memory P-38 tanks were much larger. P-38 are 315 gallon and P-51 were 165 gallon. P-38 were, again from memory 13' x 32" (maybe 33"). Please correct if I'm wrong.

8. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

the offer is a p-51 tank???if that is what it is and two v-8 60's with sum accessories..dual carb intakes...for 1700. But Im trying to find pics of lakesters that were made from the p-51 tanks. Maybe I need to repost just for that alone....

9. oldskoolflyer -

I'm definately no expert, but I agree with Ramblur ... the P-51's never had a belly mounted tank ... just the smaller (165 gallon) wing-mounted tanks:

North American P-51 Mustangs.jpg P-51 wing tank.jpg Fitting Napalm Tanks.jpg

Burke's first Tanker was supposedly built using a P-51 Mustang wing tank:

[​IMG]

... but he used a (315 gallon) P-38 Lightning wing tank for his second Tanker:

[​IMG]

I should also mention that the Internet is rife with mis-information regarding the tanks used for Bonneville & Dry Lakes racers ... e.g., the famous So-Cal Speed Shop Tanker is constantly identified as being built from a P-51 Mustang tank ... when in-fact, a tank from a P-38 Lightning was used in its construction.

10. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

i have heard that many of times about the so-cal tanker.... i believe the johnson and shipley car was a p-51 wing tank...the one that im inquiring about is only 11feet and 28 inches at widest....not sure if thats correct cause ive seen other p-51 wing tanks that measure out at 13' and some odd inches

11. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

and yes..i shouldnt have said belly tank for the p-51...wing tank

12. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

the point is im tryn to get size specs and pics of p-51 tankers on the lakes or flats

13. tikitom

tikitom
    from sacramento

Try buying the hardcover So-Cal book, it is full of belly tankers. I'm copying the So-Cal tank as we speak. Also have 2 extras for sale. Price just went up on both. Didn't realize they were getting so scarce. One NOS for $1,250, the other sandblasted and powdercoat primed for $1K but has a few pin holes in the bottom. Most guys cut the bottom out anyway and weld in a flay bottom to get the tank lower to the ground
    tikitom

14. wagonwheel

wagonwheel

just found two pby pontoons basicaly same shape as belly tank but 20ft long aluminum
    seemed to almost be three feet wide
    one is in great shape the others nose is a bit beat
    but im haveing visions off what could be done with them
    lookin to see if anyone is interested in these things?
    will take pics

15. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

take some pics! are they flanged by chance?

16. P38 BELLY TANK
    My dad was a P-38 pilot in WWII. He flew with the 475th Fighter Group, Satins Angles, in the pacific in 1944. He is not longer with us but we do have some pics but ya can't really be sure of the size. He did say they used the tanks for the long missions. That's why many of the Lightnings saw action in the Pacific. He said when ya saw the Japs the first thing to do was drop the tanks so you could reach speed and maneuver. Must be hundreds of those things out there in the Pacific!
    Ya might contact the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino, California where they have one in their collection - probably a source of tech info also....

17. wagonwheel

wagonwheel