Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ozzie 49 Pontiac Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jnr49, Jul 13, 2015.

1. jnr49

jnr49
    from australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

Thought I would do some work on the 49 Pontiac. Very slow progress but its progress I guess, busy at work.
    Put the body on the chassis so I can get some rough measurement of the airbag heights etc.
    I will be using the straight 8, with the possibility of supercharging it, just to be different.
    Got the car sitting as low as it will go so I can work out what shock is needed.
    I will be putting the front shock on the outside of the chassis and airbag where the factory shock spring was, i think impala's used the same setup.
    Of course the gearbox and engine will be rebuilt and probably look for a better diff centre to lower the rpm on highway.

WP_20150711_002.jpg WP_20150711_005.jpg

Last edited: May 7, 2016
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

That will be a cool-looking ride , no doubt .

3. I'd like to see what you work out for the shock brackets

Good looking Liner

4. Please post up the pics of how you set up the front shock set up. Killer ride and can't wait to see her on the road.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Rare car down here, where are you (State) located? Looking forward to updates. A friend added Crummydore discs to his 47 Olds Vert and used a similar rear end with OEM trailing arms. He reinforced lower control arms and added an upper bracket after gutting the OEM lever action shocks.
    [​IMG]

6. jnr49

jnr49
    from australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

Im in South west Victoria (mgtstumpy)
    Yeah I will be running a dual piston disc brake setup on the front from hoppers stoppers in melbourne and ill probably just leave drums on the back.

Just got the front shock brackets today, will the top, but found that they forgot to send the bottom stud mounts, triple checked wrapping, box, floor, table, still no sign of them, a phone call got them on there way.
    Hopefully they arrive tomorrow so I can install them on the weekend, express post isn't overnight now, well not guarantee overnight.
    The build isn't a fast one by any means as we are expecting our first child and busy at work(only just got my weekends off) and planning to build a house, ill keep posting when things happen.

7. jnr49

jnr49
    from australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

IMG_20150726_095334.jpg IMG_20150726_095317.jpg

Just a quick put together to see the height when lowered with airbags and to check issue with clearances.

8. jnr49

jnr49
    from australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

Well long wait but worth it...my stuff from usa has arrived
    1949 grille
    green indian head(lights up) bonnet waterfall piece
    front and rear original seats

Still a few more parts i have to chase up from usa, since its basically impossible to find any parts here in oz.

tomkelly88 likes this.
  9. tazareno

tazareno

That's a cool poncho,the stance is killer. Remember progress is progress. Even when you fall on your face you're still moving forward.

jnr49 likes this.
  10. cpccustoms

cpccustoms

11. jnr49

jnr49
    from australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

sorry no chop for a fews reasons;
    -rare rhd car in oz so i dont want to cut it up
    - rules make it hard to register the car on the road if its been chopped(so not worth it)
    - if i did do it i have been quote $10k plus to do only the chop not painting

12. ratrod40428

ratrod40428

Gonna be a good looking car. Keep it up! I look foreword to progress

13. 'Mo

'Mo

I like the extended skirts. Will they be lap welded, or butt welded. (Lapping would seem much easier here.)

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  14. hogrider208

hogrider208
    from idaho

15. jnr49

jnr49
    from australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

i dont know as when that time comes ill just get them made up from scratch.

thats a nice example hogrider208,

16. jnr49

jnr49
    from australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

Well not alot done on car as im tryin to make room as im working on my other car , but ive been doing a little shopping and now im waiting on my
    McCulloch VS57 Supercharger
    Auto Transmission from Skankin' Rat Fink, thanks heaps for your help and info
    Late model steering column
    and lower rpm ratio diff centre(third member) to match the auto trans as my car was manual had a higher rpm ratio

LONG likes this.
  17. hogrider208

hogrider208
    from idaho

b
    built them buy hammer forming one piece SANY0930.JPG

jnr49 likes this.
  18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

19. jnr49

jnr49
    from australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

Hogrider208
    Did you french the headlights and tailights as im planning that too
    Also like the bumpers like that how much did you cut off the bracket to hug the body

Sent from my SM-G900I using H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. GMAN55

GMAN55

Also from Australia and have felt the pain you will be going through.
    I couldn't find power steering to suit so used SAAB set up. Custom fitted ourselves.
    Installed Holden steering column as I have installed T700 auto.
    Air ride suspension with mounts modified.
    The whole setup led us on a whole new ride setup path.
    Upgraded to disc brakes (from the states) the problem was they sent pickup/truck discs so rims had to be slightly deeper on the front.
    have just found out it is mandatory in Western Australia to have to include seat belts, window washers and demisters.
    You replied to me about my steering wheel enquiry.
    We have put it back together and it works for the moment. Not sure if it is right. Still trying to find some kind of workshop manual or documentation/drawings to see if we have re-assembled correctly.
    I still have the original steering column and gearbox if you require any parts.
    The motor was donated to a guy who loves flatheads and straight eights. It has since gone to victoria for another build it seems.
    easiest to contact me on [email protected] if your chasing or forwarding any info.
    keep in touch
    Greg Wilton
    Western Australia