Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oxy / Acetylene,.. You guys having "sticker shock" too ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Aug 13, 2011.

1. moefuzz

moefuzz

Also, a lot of people will needlessly waste oxygen by cranking the regulators up.

Rule of thumb is 1 part acet to 5 parts oxy, never exceed a 1 to 7 ratio (backfires/burnback).

If you set your acet to 5#, then you shouldn't have the oxygen set any higher than 25 or 30. Anything more is $$ out the window.
    Regulators/gauges are notoriously inaccurate so a person should really learn how to set your regulators/flame by 'balancing the torch".

2. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

theres issues with the mfg of acetylene getting carbide as something happened at the main supplier for all acetylene mfg. so the price was supposed to rise 3 fold

3. Harms Way

Harms Way

I think another option is to look into a "Henrob" torch,... A friend had one downstate years ago and loved it,.. He said his gas consumption dropped drastically,... Any of you guys have experience with a Henrob torch?

( The videos on You-tube look pretty impressive)

4. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I have the small tanks , but it still cost about $60 a couple months ago to fill them. Used them once a month ago then went to use them last week......EMPTY. Forgot to close the valves.....damn.

5. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

I have a Henrob, LOVE IT....air plane guys turned me on to it, you can gas weld pop can together without warpping..bought mine 10 years ago at the F100 Supernationals in Peigon Forge, TN

http://www.cut-like-plasma.com/

The DHC 2000 / Henrob 2000 Torch, cuts steel like plasma - welds like TIG. Welds most difficult metals including aluminum, stainless steel, chromoly, cast iron, sheet metal and more... Up to 50% - 70% gas savings. Made in the USA since 1982 and comes with a lifetime warranty!!

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We have started to religiously close the valves on all our tanks as soon as we are done using them.............we've run into the same problem as you. Several times we have gone to use either our torch set or mig and the tank had leaked out because we forgot to close the valves at the tank, but had relied on the shut off at the torch to hold tight.

It's and expensive lesson to learn. :mad:

Don

7. inlinr6

inlinr6

My place told me of the plant that blew up and tried to get me to switch to propylene so I asked how much to convert, he said I needed new gauges and hoses and a tank 500.00;the extra price for acetylene 7.00 for 155 cu ft tank ,I pay a 15.00 a year tank inspection fee,also:pS I sold my plasma years ago due to the high cost of consumables.

8. danoz

danoz
    from mass

The oldtimer truck body builder i worked for who schooled me on fab and welding had a policy if your bottles were empty in the morning you got one warning. from then on the refill was on your nickel. implemented the same policy at my own place. to this day years later me and a bunch of others guys cant use a torch or a welder without immediately shutting the gas off!.... sometimes its a pain in the ass but its an automatic reflex tough to shake.... but nice when u dont have to reach in your pocket.

9. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

moefuzz is correct i use a more o2 to popane than to acet, BUT i can tell you there is a big cost savings in per hour use. i had used acet years and was reluctant to switch. i am really glad i did 10 years ago. true a lot of mine is for cutting scrap, i can still get good cuts with propane aswell. i still have a full size acet setup and won't ever let it go. just so you know, i don't own stock in propane or anything.:D

10. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

I changed to PROPANE over 20 years ago because of the price of acetylene.. Works just as good, even use it for dropping axles.. You only need a propane tip and adapter for gauge to the bottle.. Get propane at same place you get it for your gas grille for around $20 ....

11. Erkenbrand

Erkenbrand
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Rochester NY HAMBers

That's a great idea, Danoz. I was all set to start cutting the other day, and had no oxygen when I reached for the valve. Turns out a friend of mine had borrowed the torch to do a quick cut the night before and left the valve open.

I learned to weld / cut from my grandfather who's now been doing it for 60+ years. (At 80 he still welds something just about every day.) Lesson 2 - turn off the valves! It's automatic for me, now it needs to become automatic for the other guys who want to spend time in the shop. ;-)

12. What I've always been told is it doesn't cost much more to fill the big ones over the little ones.

13. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Although I haven't tried it myself, I have been told that propane, Mapp, and propylene are ok for heating and cutting, but not for welding.

14. 64 BFX Cyclone

64 BFX Cyclone
    from Honolulu

Dudes, you have no idea. In Hawaii, we can no longer get acetylene, even though there are two refineries here. To get it we must send our bottles to the mainland by boat, get them filled, and wait for them to come back. GasPro will rent you one of theirs, but if you own your bottles, they are as good as junk, unless you only need acetylene one every three months!
    W:eek:T:mad:F:confused:?

15. Propane all the way for cutting. but you still have to have acet. for welding. My cousin works at a bottle place and hooks me up, most of the cost increase is just there mark up. he just refilled my mig bottle for a larger one for 20 bucks.