Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oxy/Acetylene Torches

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by TimCT, Aug 21, 2019.

1. TimCT

TimCT

Don't think we have a thread on these yet.

Some years ago, my uncle gave me some of my grandfather's old things. One was an old Parker vice he used at work (he was the fleet manager at Linde/Union Carbide in CT), and another was a little toolbox with some old smaller torch equipment. I have a regular Victor 100 series rig, so at the time I didn't really think more of it that just cool old stuff my grandfather used, so it got put away.

I recently took an interest in trying my hand at gas welding again (haven't since HS shop class) and started reading up on the ins and outs of it, and how a smaller torch (smaller than my 100 series) is preferred by many for welding because its not as heavy and easier to control. The light bulb went on and I remembered my grandfather's little torch kit, so I dug it out to see what was in there:

20190820_182209.jpg

20190820_182202.jpg

There's a fairly modern looking Victor cutting head for a bigger torch (looks like it'll fit my 100 series) but the little guy is a Victor J-27, with a matching 550J cutting head, and #2, 3 and 4 welding nozzles. The nozzles don't look as old as the torch and cutting head, so I'm guessing they're newer replacements. Also, they're plated?

At any rate, this is my old torch. Lets see yours!

2. There is nothing more pleasing then using a good quality oxy acetylene torch !!!!

I’ve used junk in the past and it’s nerve racking !!

we had shit torches at work and I found an older victor set at a farm auction with multiple tips and handles
    I love using them
    I’ll snap a pic tomorrow

3. mkebaird

mkebaird

I love gas welding. Too many exhaust systems to count, rolls of baling wire, my favorite filler rod.
    Here's my tiny Smiths torch, it's a gem. Just rebuilt the valves.
    P1030744.JPG

Okie Pete and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  4. Gas welding is a lost art! I learned in tech school and still practice it to this day. I’m the only one at work who can gas weld. Coat hangers make great welding rods as well.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS likes this.

5. TimCT

TimCT

I'm planning on putting my little guy to use, for sure. No O rings on the welding tips, so I guess it's just the valves that might need going over. I'll pick up some lightweight hoses for it too.

6. mkebaird

mkebaird

Just hard to find these days, or is that just me?

7. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I am a fan of using dip sticks for welding rod (in a pinch), almost like using brass, you can really flow out a wide puddle but you have to have penetration also

BusterBill likes this.
  8. TimCT

TimCT

I think I've determined that the plated welding nozzles are Oxweld/Linde, and not Victor. Makes sense, considering that's where he worked.