Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Oxidized paint that sucked up wax... now what?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DrivenDead, Jun 10, 2019.

1. DrivenDead

DrivenDead

Help! Tried to wax the car and as the car was drying I noticed the oxidized paint just sucked in the wax and looks white. Ideas on how to fix it? 20190610_213516.jpeg 20190610_213527~2.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G975U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. That paint looks dead
    Have you tried any mild abrasive compounds?
    Going to have to remove the oxidition

Tim and DrivenDead like this.
  3. SS327

SS327

Time to break out the buffer and 3M heavy duty compound.

Denny

Bandit Billy and firstinsteele like this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

TRY maybe..,.dawn or other dish washing soap first it does help remove wax. Good luck.

kidcampbell71, Slopok and Frankie47 like this.

5. Slopok

Slopok

Or mineral spirits maybe.
    Let me be the first to say "That'll buff Out"!:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    deadbeat and 302GMC like this.
  6. Take it to a good detailer
    High speed cut n polish
    With high end materials will work
    Paint faided bad but can be brought back with the right stuff

Slopok likes this.
  7. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Wax and grease remover should remove the wax.
    The finish may have deteriorated past the point of saving. Try color sand w/1500-2000 grit and buffing.

dan31 and metlmunchr like this.
  8. Where’s that infomercial from the junkyard and the guy waxed the worst faded screwed up cars into show cars?

LM14, VANDENPLAS and anthony myrick like this.
  9. Used to wash with comet are bonami cleaners. Cut the oxidation and then polish.

302GMC likes this.
  10. tim troutman

tim troutman

done a couple like that with ajax looked a lot better afterwards let us know what works or doesnt

302GMC likes this.

11. EADA41B9-B07D-4AB8-9ABC-DF452DDF4561.jpeg

5F71961A-2004-4A60-8025-5BB73E5432CF.gif

12. That stuff is a joke. HRP

[​IMG]

13. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I had the same issue with the dash and interior doors on my jalopy. I wanted to bring the original paint back from the dead, but didn't want it to turn into an ordeal. I tried using some of (my precious) Liquid Ebony, hoping it would cut it....it didn't. A good friend left me some Ice liquid clay bar, so I tried it and man did it work good....amazingly good! It comes with an applicator pad, but because I was doing small areas I just squirted some on a soft cloth and wiped it on, rubbed it in a bit and buffed it off. This stuff did a great job, removed all the oxidation, brought the paint back to looking new and saved me a lot of work. I recommend trying it.

loudbang likes this.
  14. A Boner

A Boner

Use cheap wax. Good wax is wax, cheap wax has cleaners and wax.

DrivenDead likes this.
  15. 6sally6

6sally6

Usta be some stuff called Car Skin. Liquid............wipe it on....wait for it to haze....wipe off and it was down to the "good paint"! It was amazing. Been awhile but check with Poop Boyz or one of the others.
    Amazing stuff
    6sally6

16. B1gDaddy

B1gDaddy
    from aladambama

STOP !

Google "mike Phillips meguiars number 7 Lincoln "

Pay attention, the guy is a master. You need to moisturize the paint first with no 7. Start with little to no abraisive first, then if necessary you can get more aggressive. Everyone here, even the old masters can learn from mike Phillips . He is the paint boss ! It works, just do it

DrivenDead and 66gmc like this.
  17. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I have a OLD bottle of that stuff here somewhere... Probably a rock hard substance by now... LOL

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Funny, I remember getting good results from "Nu Finish" back in the day. I got onto it from an article in "Consumer's Reports" where it was the highest rated polish they tested. I use a more sophisticated method these days (clay bar, quick detailer, and Meguiars's #7), but "Nu Finish" worked great for daily drivers. A change in formulation maybe?

19. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I had a similar experience with an every day ot car years ago. Went back later and just used a polish ( and lots of elbow grease ) on the chalky paint and it came out fine. Might try it.

20. 'Back in the day', the go-to stuff was Turtle wax 'ColorBak' followed by a good wax job. I had a '56 Ford with paint so oxidized that just dragging your fingers on it would leave color of your fingers. That stuff brought it back pretty good, but you had to keep wax on it.

And I'm another guy that's had good luck with 'NuFinish'. Pretty much the same results as above, except it didn't last a year, more like six months, but I suspect that had more to do with the paint. As it's a one-step process, it's easier to apply.

Both require large quantities of elbow grease...

I'm hesitant to get more aggressive as that's an easy way to end up with 'patina' (primer showing..).

21. southcross2631

southcross2631

Better call Maaco. They can make it shine again.

22. slowmotion

slowmotion

Used NuFinish many times on daily's that never get the TLC they deserve. No complaints. Lasts decent & cheap.

23. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I use this polish. Works for me. The "No rubbing, no buffing" is a stretch but for polish, it is ok. I have not found any polish that doesn't take a little elbow grease.

24. Gman0046

Gman0046

I used to use Nu Finish on ot daily drivers. Wipe on-wipe off. Worked pretty good for the price.

25. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Now I use a detailed, younger days Blue Coral

26. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

No such thing as Mechanic in can or new paint in a bottle. Dead paint is dead paint. Current products are water base , not petroleum base like in the old days. even with a lot of hard work you do bring back a shine it won't last. It needs a strip and repaint period! Larry

27. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Isn't that what the Karate Kid used? (Danielsun)

28. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Oxidized paint, I would wet sand the offender areas with 1000 grit to start, then step up to 1500 grit and then 2000... After that get some compound and start the buffing process... Followed up by Polish, then finished with 2 coats of wax... I wouldn't worry about the wax that the ox. sucked up... It will wet sand out for sure. But this is the way I have corrected a few that were almost too bad to save... Best part on a good single stage paint job you have some meat to work with, 2 stage, not so much.

DrivenDead likes this.