Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Overheating head scratcher

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Nebraska Steven, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I tol you, I tol you!

Been a while. Glad you might be zeroing in on the problem.
    I've seen or heard of this issue with pusher fans quite a bit. Electric fans seem to have too much support structure. Too much plastic needed to hold the motor and fan in position. And the pusher fans seem to exacerbate the problem.

Good luck.
    Let us know.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And the problem always seems to be at highway speeds. The support structure and even the fan blades themselves hinder the natural flow of air through the radiator at highway speeds. More air wants to flow through the radiator than the fan can allow.

I have a question for everybody.
    Do the electric fan blades freewheel in the opposite direction similar to a clutch fan?
    I didn't think so.
    They should. It would allow more air through at speed.

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sometimes you're better with no fan at all rather than to have an air flow problem.

When I was younger and even poorer and even stupider, I remember running at least one of my cars with no fan at all for a long time LOL. Just don't sit too long.

4. Well, I don't think I can declare complete victory, but maybe progress. Got the car converted to a puller fan. Also increased from 1600 cfm to 2500 cfm. I took it out and drove about 40 miles! Which is probably the most I've gone in one shot. Seems like now it will stay under 200 as long as you're keeping it under 55 mph. Once I kick it up closer to 70 it would creep up and seemed to level out around 210. No boiling over though. Also, it seems like it will actually recover and cool back down to to 200 in decent time once you slow down again. Of course the weather did cool off and it was only 80 degrees out when I got to the test drive. But if it will stay like that on a hot day, I may call it good enough. Might still play around with the timing a bit more, but I really don't think that's an issue. I'm still contemplating a high flow water pump...but will give it some more drive time before deciding to go down that road. Most modern cars run above 200, so I think as long as it doesn't start boiling on me I'll be happy enough. Thanks for all the thoughts and encouragement! Sometimes it helps just with the motivation to keep after a persistent problem.

Mike Moreau likes this.
  5. SHARKO

SHARKO

My J2 Olds has done good for 25 years as a road car 175-190 cross country in hot weather. 270 cam and big valves it never has liked to be stuck in traffic 190-210. I have a recored and just serviced stock radiator and the original 4 blade fan which is 1 1/2 inches from the radiator. These cars did not use a shroud but an air dam around below and above the radiator is in tact. I have just added AC and want to add 2 10 inch pusher fans as an in town traffic booster. Can anyone tell me which fans are least restrictive {freewheel}. I would like to turn them off on the highway and keep my current 180-190 with AC on. Straight blades or curved? Spaced from evaporator or, ugh, zip tied.?