Register now to get rid of these ads!

overflowin puke prob

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Oct 23, 2004.

1. i have a 1987 302 in my galaxie and it seem to not want to keep coolant in it, it pukes out about half the radiators coolant into the over flow tank and does not suck it back in, it has a new pump t-stat cap and radiator with verticle tanks any ideas?

2. rich^vic

rich^vic
    from Victoria

Does the coolant actually come out of the bottle or just fill it up? what pressure are you running in your coolant system and how does your temp look with normal driving? If fit never spews out, it might just be that it takes some time for the coolant to work its way back into the rad (clogged overflow tube or rad spigot might cause this -- high pressure going out, not enough pressure to recover it). There might be a split in the bottle or cap giving the bottle a bad seal.

-Richard

3. it is a 7 lbs cap and it is all new line, the fluid fills up but does not over flow. it stays between 180(stat) and about 200 or 205 and it some times acts like it has air and bounces around but it is not alot. would weak return press be to small of a water pump

4. gregg

gregg
    from Fulton IL

A 7 lb cap is not correct for an '87 302. Probably double that. You could check at the parts store by application. Welcome to the HAMB, BTW.

5. JamesG

JamesG

Whens the lsat time your radiator was flushed? You might try that or if it's bad enough take it to a radiator shop and have it done right.

6. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

It should be a higher pressure cap. I would almost bet the one you have isn't even for a closed system and isn't sealed around the lip so it can suck back.
    Another thing with any engine and especially a Ford is to burp it before you cap it. That means run it until the thermostat opens with the cap off. If you can't see inside the radiator to watch for circulation then feel the top hose and it will get hot when the T-stat opens. Now with a jug of coolant in one hand, run it up to a good high idle (2500 rpm) and top off the radiator, then cap it before you let the rpms off.
    Don't be surprised if it pukes out 1/2 gallon of coolant before the T-stat opens. This isn't unusual since the air pocket is expanding from the heat

7. Dirty2

Dirty2

[ QUOTE ]
    It should be a higher pressure cap. I would almost bet the one you have isn't even for a closed system and isn't sealed around the lip so it can suck back.
    Another thing with any engine and especially a Ford is to burp it before you cap it. That means run it until the thermostat opens with the cap off. If you can't see inside the radiator to watch for circulation then feel the top hose and it will get hot when the T-stat opens. Now with a jug of coolant in one hand, run it up to a good high idle (2500 rpm) and top off the radiator, then cap it before you let the rpms off.
    Don't be surprised if it pukes out 1/2 gallon of coolant before the T-stat opens. This isn't unusual since the air pocket is expanding from the heat

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree !!!!

8. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Sounds like ya put the thermostat in backwards...

...or got a whip-ass air pocket in the system, is your cap the highest point...or does the upper hose go above the fill point???

Also...some newer small block Fords use a reverse rotation water pump...you turning yours the right way?

9. slammed

slammed

10. Elrusto

Elrusto

87 should be a 13lb cap.

11. INNOHRY

INNOHRY

sorry guys i had a slight delay, im back, by the way my name is jess, and i have a 16 lbs cap on the rad. the thermostat is in the right way and i have tryed every way in the book to get rid of air, i dont think that is my prob. the cap is the highest thing besides the puke tank and that sits next to the cap at the same hight. the prob is the system pukes half the coolant out the rad. and does not suck it back in. it then causes it to do all sorts of funny things, im tyred of it and i need help! thanks

12. OutLaw

OutLaw

I thought this post was about drgnwgn289 [​IMG]

13. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

First time I have ever seen someone post here as anonymous and not have a registration date or post. count??????? [​IMG]
    Is this opening up problems we are unaware of?