Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Overflow Tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32Rules, Jul 25, 2011.

1. 32Rules

32Rules

Mocked this up tonight.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a1966 Corvette expansion tank.
    $20 swap meet find.
    Needs a little polishing but should turn out ok.

[​IMG]

One without the vise grips.
    What do you think?

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Looks good, I'd mount it more to the left or right side. But then, that's me.

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cool! I would go with a more side to side mounting as well, but that's me... Been looking for one of those for awhile now, as a matter of fact I picked one up at a space at L.A.R.S. last month and asked how much, "hundred dollars!" put it right back down...

4. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

I like it right in the center. Just like you have it. Looks Good!

5. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

I like it. Where do you plan you route the hose?

6. 32Rules

32Rules

I put it in the center because I run a hood top and it will be almost invisible unless you bend down and look up. Also because I used a small piece of 1/8 inch plate that I tapped with 1/4-20 so the hinge screws could hold the bracket in place so I didn't have to drill the firewall.
    I will run a hose off the bottom of the tank up the back and down the radiator support rod. Then the overflow off the top and straight down behind the distributor.

7. sololobo

sololobo

Great thinking bro, that is very hip and will have a lot of heads wondering what they are seeing. Cool City!! ~sololobo~

8. $20? please take me with you next time, I'll buy lunch!!!!:D

9. Here is one I did using a vintage mecedes tank. I have since replaced the hoses to black. I wanted to see how it worked first. I would love to find a vette one for $20.:eek:

Attached Files:

10. 32Rules

32Rules

I like that. I thought about hanging it from the support rods but couldn't figure out any slick brackets to do it. Yours look good

11. cbillelder

cbillelder

A cheaper alternative for a compact tank, particularly for a car with a hood, is the overflow tank from an early nineties Geo Metro. It's very compact and both the inlet and exit hoses go through the cap, so there's no worry about leaking. It is a plastic tank, so would probably work better in a car with a closed engine compartment. Mine at the local yard cost me $6. If you go to get one, take a hammer and chisel with you as they use a slide-on mounting bracket that is spot welded to the inner fender panel. A few licks with the hammer and the bracket is out. Got one on both my '38 coupe and my '32 cabriolet.

12. Thanks, Just made out of 1/8" x 1/2" flat stock.

13. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

I think I would make the radiator support rods out of SS tube and route to the tank and then re attach the heim ends to it at the ends of the bends to keep it clean looking instead of a hose tied to the existing rods. Will take a bit of work but will hide unsightly hose and definetely be a one off installation.