Register now to get rid of these ads!

Overflow bottle ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carcrazyjohn, Sep 14, 2010.

1. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I have a Pyrene brass fire extinguisher for sale in the parts section. Best offer

2. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

one i did on a build

Attached Files:

3. Not one to jump on the bitchin bandwagon, but are soda cans, empty juice boxes, grandma's douche bag, etc. really a traditional hot rod item? Certainly, old auto or military tanks fit in, but some of this is like the Sesame Street thing, you know, "which item doesn't belong". I've alway though the old Stewart Warner vacuum fuel tanks of the twenty's would make a great overflow, plus it says Stewart Warner right on it! Just got to find one decent enough to put on the 32' without paying a restorers price for it.

:mad: P.S. Sorry for the rant, but thats what curmudgeons do!

4. fatstax

fatstax
    from cobourg

when i figure out how to dumb down the quality of my pictures so they will fit, i will show you my choice, a 40 ouncer of prince igor extreme, empty of course, wouldnt want my ride to weave all over the road any more than normal

5. 33Tudor

33Tudor

I wanted to use an old gas station oil bottle, and someone told me it would crack with the hot anti-freeze/water mixture. Anyone know for sure?:confused:

6. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

You can pick one of these water bottles up at Wallmart for $5. That is what we have on the Strange Days Lakester

7. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

EEeeewwww.:eek:

8. Made this one for my dragster after I got caught at the line twice while some door slammer took a week to do his burn out and stage. Made from PCV, it has small hole vents in the top cap and has a standard rad drain in the bottom. It completley solved my problem and cost just a few bucks. As well it was fun to build. More than adequate for any street rod etc as well.
    Don
    W50, never mind.
    Don

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  9. Hot Rod Dirty's

Hot Rod Dirty's
    from KY

I use an old glass pop bottle but don't suggest it after the time it was left on the highway due to a rock hitting I would imagine

10. Actually overflow tanks are not traditional in any sense at all. But they are a part of our world that has become an accepted norm.

One that no one has mentioned but would fit in well is an old desert bag. I wish I would have bought some of those up when I was a kid BTW.

11. cadman89

cadman89

I pushed started midget race cars in New England with my old 66 chevy Pickup. It was required to have a "Catch Can" on push trucks in the early 70's on the race tracks.
    I would change mine quit often...BUD....Black Label....Miller.. etc "Traditional overflow cans" Some reqired a special tool to make an opening for the overflow tube.. :)

Cadman

12. Autozone antifreeze jug.

13. great idea.

Attached Files:

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ummmm, Mortar rounds don't have shells!! Its just the bomb and charge bags!!:eek:

The cleaner your set up is and the better it fits into the build style the better. These tacky looking gimmick beer cans, 'pop' bottles etc are just. Ugly.
    They detract from the car. Put some real thought into them guys....PLEASE!

Blackjack's set up is just perfect, some real thought went into that
    Doc.

15. Hey I resemble that remark.:eek:

I'm not going to put it out in the wind or anything like that, I already have enough trouble with the local constabulary.

Here is another thought for you fellas building '50-'60s model cars. Get yourself one of those windshield washer bags that they used to hang on the inner fender run a hose to it and it will almost be invisible.

16. I have to agree with DocWatson.... I think that it should compliment the build by the era or theme and most of the "Puke Tanks" I've seen don't compliment the build.

Not like my canteen idea is original My uncles used them in the late sixties for their Hot Rods and since I got this one from my uncle it only made sense to use it for my 60's era build! The Hockey puck motor mounts were a "Bleed" feature that I enjoy to look at... not that it's 60's style but it goes with the build!

[​IMG]

17. any one just built resisvior in the frame heck the pvc built tank could be hidden there.. or any 30 size ounce container

i spose that boxed frames will be on the non trd. list too.

18. Here was mine.

Attached Files:

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

there's a space under my radiator , between the bottom radiator tank and the front cross member..I been thinking of fabing up a tank to fit in there.

outa sight..outa mind

20. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

This is what I am using as of today. My friend,trev from NZ, gave it to me full of beer, when I saw him at Bonneville in '08. Good beer too.

Attached Files:

21. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I agree. A lot of these tanks are really rr in nature. I'm using a brass fire extinguisher and even that is borderline rr. Just sayin'...

22. 5window

5window

I am not a military man, but these sites seem to have mortar shells,called mortar shells, look like mortar shells to me. Anyway, you are nitpicking. My point was the odd, or incongruous, appearance of some choices that detract from the overall theme of the car. On this we agree.

http://www.bonanzle.com/booths/RedFrogCollectibles/items/Military_Mortar_Shell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortar_(weapon)

23. budd

budd

this thing has been rolling around the shop for years, now i think i know what to do with it, even comes with a cool tag, i dare the rad to over flow..lol

Attached Files:

24. cadman89

cadman89

Traditional is nice if that’s what YOU want… or if you want to start a new tradition that should be fine too.
    Me.. I like the smile on the faces of people when they see my old pop bottle and it brings back a memory just like those traditional items that some guys/gals use.

I say use what YOU want that makes you happy no matter what it is..

Cadman

25. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

a rough sketch of an idea i have..just need to make the small tank..

im running full fenders and aprons and all, so this would be basically sight unseen

im just not sure of how much capacity i would need, but it would be the width of the front cross member, and about 2" at the highest point in the center

Attached Files:

26. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I found a glass bottle....flathead cola on Ebay. It won't work on a 3 fiddy 3 fiddy but I like it on my 8BA:D

27. cadman89

cadman89

Do you have a picture of it ?? Would like to see that one...

Cadman

28. I have an 1890's Pabst Beer Bottle... but I'd be afraid of breaking it or having it stolen!

29. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

No but I think it came from the same Montana area as this tap handle. Years ago a search on Ebay would bring up 100s of flathead items not car related.

30. Jax2A

Jax2A

I was planning on just brazing up a tank from large copper tubing but I really like MoparMan's idea of using a old canister style oil filter holder. I even have one on the shelf that came off my '46 Willys CJ2A. This will be a great and practical use for it on my jalopy 27 T touring.