Register now to get rid of these ads!

overdrive trans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olddirtracer, Jul 3, 2009.

1. olddirtracer

olddirtracer

1950 ford overdrive trans. I am hav`ing trouble getting it to go into overdrive . when I push the cable in the car will free wheel until the rpms catch up to the mph. the engine does not drop in rpms . It acts like its not going all the way in overdrive . I have checked the gov, soloids and they ck ok. what do I do now ????????????????/ thanks Dan

2. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

You have to be going in excess of 26 mph for it to upshift. Check the overdrive relay. Do a search here, or on the internet and get yourself a book or at least a wiring diagram.

3. vegas paul

vegas paul
    from salina, ks

The cable should not be used to go in/out of overdrive. The cable is used only to disable or enable overdrive for certain driving conditions (I always leave mine engaged). To go into overdrive (when above the governor threshold speed Mike stated above), simply let off the accellerator momentarily and then accellerate. The OD will engage if all is wired correctly. If not, check the relay and governor for proper operation, in addition to wiring to kickdown switch and dist.