Register now to get rid of these ads!

overdrive problem....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PORKCHOP76, Sep 14, 2009.

1. PORKCHOP76

PORKCHOP76
    from iowa

i was driving down the road in my 49 ford when it kicked out of overdrive and now it wont reengage at the pedal. anybody have an idea of how to fix it or what the problem is.
    thanks

2. vegas paul

vegas paul
    from salina, ks

Possibly the solenoid or governor is bad or one of their wires became detached. I assume this is a Borg Warner T-96, T-85, etc? Also the OD engage cable may be out of position. Check underneath at the OD unit, the lever must be in FULL rearward position, regardless where the cable handle is.

specify trans/OD combo for more specific info.

3. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

5. PORKCHOP76

PORKCHOP76
    from iowa

sorry its the factory 3spd with overdrive...

6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner

You might also want to check the fuse on the relay which is located on the fire wall under the hood on the left side. It has a 30 amp fuse which when it blows it stop the flow of of current to the solenoid.

7. PORKCHOP76

PORKCHOP76
    from iowa

the fuse is good , i also checked the switch under the pedal.im wondering if the tranny is just low on fluid. would that allow the overdrive to not kick in ?

8. Since you checked the fuse and the kickdown, that leaves the solenoid, governor, or the relay itself. I would guess the governor being it happened at speed.Do a search for overdsrive and you will find digital prints of all the manuals for Borg warner, including a troubleshooting manual.