Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects overdrive in my flathead roadster..need some advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CanUFelix, May 11, 2011.

1. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

So I picked up a Merc flathead to drop into my 31 roadster for a great price. The motor was pulled from its original home to make space for an SBC and i scored big. Not only is it a great motor at an even better price but it came with its Borg Warner overdrive transmission attached. The motor in my rod is tired and backed by a noisy 39 top loader 3 speed. I guess i'm asking whether there is a way to fit a top shifting mechanism to the BW? (space is gonna be tight with a side loader and i'm not eally feeling a column shift conversion) and what other things i might need to consider. Is it worth fitting? I know i'll need to shorten the drive shaft and find a couple of other missing parts for the cable mechanism etc. Any recommendations on where to look for parts?

Any help is welcome. I'm stoked to put a Merc in my little roadster but would love to do the right thing with the trans at the same time.....

Here's a couple of shots of what i've got

cheers

felix

Attached Files:

2. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

JC Whitney used to sell a top loader conversion kit for that tranny, they might still have it.

3. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

thanks man, i'll look it up.

F

4. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

It'll be difficult to get the shifter past the OD silinoid, Hurst made brackets at one point for OD trannys but they dont anymore

Worst case take a shifter put the linkage on it and attach it, and fab your own mounts, i did that with my T roadster because it was too far over and too tall, and it was pretty easy

5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

If the tranny dosen't have 1st gear syncro (don't know if it does or not) I would bag it and get a T-5, hell I would bag it anyway and get a T-5 .......................

6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Check the search in classifieds here and also put up an ad in the "wanted" section I have seen floor shifters show up for these transmissions.

7. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

If my memory serves me correctly, there is a wire you can cross in the OD solenoid that allows the trans to shift into OD with each gear, effectively making it a six speed. I would do it, t-5 be damnd.

8. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

currently working on it. mines an old fenton? shifter(there was a write up on a mag not to long ago about them) but anyway im making my own mounts and rods.

[​IMG]

9. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

I have had the same tranny in my first 49 Ford, misses it alot!
    So i say go for it, make it coloumn shift!?
    I had 3.91:1 rearend, was really fun to drive, hit the switch activating the OD on the highway and get low rpm on that Flattie:)

Taildragger&fenderless

10. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

doesnt the overdrive activate when the handle is pulled? and the solenoid just kicks it off for a downshift? i need to know this so i know how to wire it and hook up the cable.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Dont go for all that modern voodoo, stay traditional!!

12. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Search overdrive --there are lots of threads and lots of misunderstood info.

Here's a good thread:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=556465

I run a 1951 flathead w/overdrive in my 31 coupe. I have 3.55 rear gears for freeway speeds and it has plenty of power, but keeps thr rpms down on the old flathead. I run mine with the stock wiring and it's a blast to drive. I have had around 8 or 9 cars with BW overdrive. I used the column shift (1951) on my 1939 steering shaft and box -- works great, but not for speed shifting.

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

If it were mine, I'd get a 40-48 column and hook that sucker up. I always thought it was cool to see a roadster with a column shift from the 40s. Most were not OD units. I'd try to find a chrome handled OD cable so that it would be obvious at the shows. If you got it...flaunt it.:D Some of us will notice. You'll find a dozen floor shifts for every column shift especially in a 31 roadster.

The biggest obstacle is remounting the rear to work without the torque tube.

I'm biased and I'm keeping my 3 on the tree OD trans in my 56. There are hundreds of 56 Fords with FEs but I doubt that I'll see many with 3 on the tree and OD.

14. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

The handle doesn't have anything to do with normal operation-it's only to lock it out (disable) or lock it in (enable). The solenoid shifts the O.D in or out depending on what the governor switch or the kick down switch tells it to. The governor switch can be wired around or to a toggle switch which allows you to shift in or out at will (under no load).

15. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Thanks Johnny, do have any photo's from the other side?

16. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Thanks for pointing me at this thread....must have missed it on my first search. good info on gears too thanks.

F

17. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I second this!

18. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Cheers Tommy, I might end up going that way but i really love the feel of the car with the floor shift and bucket seats...i want to keep it sporty rather than a cruiser.....

the torque tube is already taken care of, its got a 49 Merc rear end under there welded to the unsplit wishbone.....There is definitely a Merc theme developing on this little bugger...

keep the info and opinions coming guys....its all really usefull as i try to figure this out.

Thanks for the help so far

Felix.

19. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

+1!

Great looking car, by the way.

-Dave

20. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

I've got a Hurst Mystery Shifter converter I may be willing to sell.

21. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

You've just got to get that mental image of your fist up in the air right behind the wind screen as you slow down in second for the stoplight.:cool: They can't see that with a floor shift.:D It's all about the profilein' man!!:D

22. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Love it Tommy!

23. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Hey, hey! I've got a two-tone white/blue version of that steering wheel with a tapered keyed hub. I think it's a boat piece, what do you think... or know?

24. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Cheers Dave, I've been sorting it over the past year and Its only now I feel it's ready to share.....I fell in love with it when I first saw it but once it arrived a found soooo much that needed fixing and sorting...I'll post more details soon. It means a lot when some one compliments it.

25. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Your car has the stance and presence spot on. It reminds me a lot of this car, which I've always held up as being nearly my ideal:

[​IMG]

-Dave

26. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Yep it's pretty much identical. The final big changes on mine will be the rear end up about an inch and the radiator chopped down so that I can bring the grill shell perfectly in line with the cowl......I'm modifying a hood to fit too...it's a couple of inches longer in the nose than original.......

27. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Column shift--way to go!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  28. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Thanks for the help guys, could still do with some good photos of top shifting linkage. Does anybody have any?