Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Over-Thinking It: Re-Using Steering Box Bolts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratfink500xl, Aug 1, 2019.

1. ratfink500xl

ratfink500xl
    from Renton, WA

I had the steering box (gear) on my ‘60 F-100 rebuilt. Visually, the original box-to-frame bolts appear to be in reasonable condition. However, I think it’s better to replace things while you’re in there so you don’t have to come back.

However, after looking high and low, I can’t find an exact replacement for the oem fine thread bolts (these are drilled to accept castle nut/cotter pin).

I ended up ordering high end ARP flange type fine thread bolts that are the same dimension, but full thread (not partial thread like the oem).

Am I overthinking this? Is it better to re-use the original bolts (with new nuts/pins) that were specifically engineered for this application, or is it better to replace them with higher strength stuff that is slightly different?

Thanks

2. squirrel

squirrel

I re-use as much original hardware as I can....always....

The exception is for hardware that is damaged/rusty/broken.

3. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

If the hardware is in good condition it's OK to reuse. The materials are usually better than what's commonly available today from you-know-where. ARP makes good stuff but a little spendy if just replacing for the heck of it. Know what I mean? Got a pic of the original?

4. BJR

BJR

What squirrel said. OEM bolts are much better/stronger than the off shore crap most stores sell now. Plus you already have it in stock if you took it apart. Just check out the threads and make sure they are in good shape and not bent or really rusted.

olscrounger likes this.

5. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

X2

6. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If your original bolts are a bit rusty give them a 12 to 24 hour soak in some vinegar.

302GMC and olscrounger like this.
  7. williebill

williebill

Another vote for original hardware.

dana barlow likes this.
  8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Inasmuch as the 'side-steering' boxes (like F100 Fords) have a tendency to 'turn' opposite their pitman arm arc when turning.
    The 'right bolts' had shanks unthreaded to provide a tight fit at the frame and box bores,
    and fit as 'dowels'.
    Most important is the physical design spec of the bolts, the nuts can be of the Nyloc type, bolt 'stretch' at proper torque setting will keep them tight.

9. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just replace with grade 5 bolts.

10. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I have a couple tins in which I keep original Ford nuts and bolts worth saving in case I need them, including two sets of the original bolts and nuts for ‘32 steering box to frame bolts.

Sometimes I feel a little nutty but it makes me happy to use original stuff.

11. ratfink500xl

ratfink500xl
    from Renton, WA

Ha! Or maybe some bailing wire...

12. ratfink500xl

ratfink500xl
    from Renton, WA

Thanks everyone for your time. I think I am gonna clean up the original bolts and re-use them. I’ll save the ARP stuff for a rainy day because if I return it I know I am gonna need it...

Malcolm likes this.
  13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Re-use, over and over and over; just don't have them chromed. That leads to hydrogen embrittlement. I'm sure the original hardware even looks better also. Lead on "Professor squirrel".
    And speaking of squirrel, and knowing his involvement with youth and robots; I watched a TV program about these "battling bots". I did't realize they were so big and destructive!!! DANG!!!!! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

14. squirrel

squirrel

We don't do those robots....we do the boring kind that play games, and don't get on TV