Register now to get rid of these ads!

over steering problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by E Burfield, Aug 5, 2009.

1. E Burfield

E Burfield

O.K, I'm helping my buddy put a fat man sub frame on a 39 lasal. We get everything put together. Motor in, steering hooked up. When you turn the wheel all the way to the right or left, The banjo fitting and brake line are hitting the coil spring. Dose someone make a steering stop for a rack and pinion set up? Called FAt man and they seemed to think as if nothing is wrong. Any help would be great. Thanks

2. E Burfield

E Burfield

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

Try a street rod forum

4. 29essex

29essex

I can understand your frustation with Fatman. We bought some front suspension from them too and it's never been right. They think that there is nothing wrong.

Try http://www.roddingroundtable.com/. Some pretty good people over there. Have helped me out a ton with a bunch of different questions. Just explain to them what your problem is.

Good luck. Hope you get it figured out.

5. Ghost28

Ghost28

C'mon. Man that's just wrong...John

6. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I'd like to see pictures of that!
    Mustang 2 stuff?
    Something must be way out of kilter for that to happen. Doesn't happen on Mustangs!
    Racks are notorious for limiting the turn radius in most swaps....not turning so much to have the caliper get into the spring!

Gotta ask, as we can't see whats going on without some clear pics...you guys don't have the calipers on the wrong sides or the brackets in the wrong location or something do ya????
    It's an odd problem!

7. I had the same problem on the '48 Ford F-1 pickup I'm working on right now. It's got a Mustang II frontend from CPP with the common GM caliper alot of kits use. When I ran the brake hose out the side of the caliper like I thought I should, it hit the coil spring with the wheels turned all the way. I got the longest hoses I could ('85 Buick Riveria if I remember correctly) and ran them out the front, looks kinda wierd in my eyes but they have plenty of clearance and no kinking, binding, rubbing, etc. when turned all the way left or right or with the suspension slack or compressed.

Let me know what happens, I'm curious to see what you come up with :D

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

show us a picture.