Register now to get rid of these ads!

Over rated??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cavman, Aug 22, 2013.

1. IMHO,Deuces are top of the list when it comes to hot rods,but I am opinionated and bias,,I have had all kinds of hot rods,,including Chevys but my dream car back in 1962 was a deuce..it still is to this day. :D HRP

2. PackardV8

PackardV8

Those of us who are now old/big/fat should do a few miles and hours in that dream '32 channeled roadster or chopped coupe before laying out the big bucks.

I know of two really disappointed old farts:

One had a roadster built for big bucks and it turned out perfectly. Got in it, couldn't drive it. Seats too low, old legs didn't bend and lift for the clutch pedal any more. Too loud, too rough riding, uses too much fuel and the blown big block requires constant tuning. It's a garage queen and he lets a nephew drive it to shows for him while he goes in the family Acura.

The other was a chopped coupe. The wife made one 300-mile road trip with him to the coast and flew home. She now refuses ever to get in it again. The old fart does admit it's the most uncomfortable ride imaginable. He takes it to a show now and again, but would sell it if he didn't have his wife watching for the loss he'd take.

Your results may vary, but as LBJ said, "Trust (your dreams) but verify (with your ass)."

3. Comfort & hot rod are not necessarily synonymous with each another,throwing hands full of money at a Deuce wont make it comfortable.

I know a lot of guys that have wives that wont ride in any hot rods.

I'm looking at 64 soon and I'm feeling the effects of broken bones in my youth but I also build the the cars to fit my 6'4" frame.

I know some dreams turn to nightmares but it's not just with '32's.

As the late Deuce Roadster was fond of saying,,some people are just not cut out for roadsters! HRP

4. adam401

adam401

Hot rodding is about the cheapest way to be involved with vintage cars. Anyone who has played with European cars or collector level vintage American cars knows this. 32-34's are priced at the high end of hot rods but the low end of the vintage car world. Go buy a ribbed bumper VW bus. sometimes you gotta pay to play. If you can afford it who cares.

As far as taste goes you like what you like

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

32s are one year vehicles that never lost their audience which explains their great survival rate. They also gained audience size which explains the great price differential between them and other Fords, despite the fact that the whole car is now available in several popular body styles both in steel and fibreglass.

6. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To be honest, I never appreciated 32's until I joined the HAMB. I kind of like them now, but still prefer a 34.

7. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

U are right!! I wanted a '32 roadster but after struggling to get in & out bought a '34 Outlaw coupe w/RAM JET 502 not quite finished. Scary fast so swapped for a 290hp crate 350. Fun car but still wanted a steel roadster & was lucky enough to find a complete project being restored as original. Thanks to my late wife's frugal ways handling the money there was no debt when I retired so I am able to pursue this hobby spending the kids inheritance (She taught them all to be self supporting & they are). The only down side is that I'll have to live to be 120 years old to finish what I have now but I'll keep trying. The roadster is coming along nicely in the shop of a talented youngster.

8. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

P.S. That's only 48 more years!!

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Isn't this in the, "stop worrying about what other people think", category? Yea, thought so.

10. We all like what we like..Right Fred? :D HRP

11. leadsled56

leadsled56

Really do not understand the whole "too fast" statement. Use the go faster pedal to suit your needs. Lift your right foot to slow down! Lol!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I look at 32 Fords, like I look at Harley Davidsons, I will never own one, but I like what they have done for the hobby. I built my 11 second Virago that is in my avatar, because I want what everyone else had. I have my 37 Dodge truck, because not everyone has one, plus a truck is just Damn cool.

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

Back in the day I never had any complaints about TP but later on found out older stuff was way better.

14. The best is always under scrutiny! I only have two right now:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

15. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

For me,they represent the first step toward going fast with the advent of the V8. Things haven't been the same since.

16. Hot Rod Jerry

Hot Rod Jerry

Always wanted a 3 window, chopped, fenderless 32. Iknew years ago I would never afford one. My 31 is as close as I will ever get. Had it since 1961,love my car, and you would be surprized at how many guys come up and say "I had a 32 just like this one . Sold it a couple tears ago".Like I say, love my little Model A.

17. I have always been satisfied enough with my '31 Dodge which the '32 Ford copied quite a bit. I am certain I will hear some crap over this.

Attached Files:

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

My T Bucket has been called a "deuce". Maybe it was the same couple.:D

19. Model T1

Model T1

I remember '32 Fords. I've seen several fibreglas 350 Chevy engined originals from time to time, just like they came from the Ford factory.
    What was the other part of this question ?
    Over rated? Yes. Kool? Yes!
    Will I ever own one? Maybe when I get some more of that teenaged pussy!