Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oval trackers...stand up and be counted!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Junkyard Jan, Oct 4, 2005.

1. edgarallencoe

edgarallencoe
    from Rock Vegas

Any of you SW PA or Eastern Ohio guys may know my Uncle in Law, Bob Stanford. He ran Lernerville and the Motordrome back in the day, and also ran SCCA all over the country.

2. wyatt

wyatt

yes he's the one....died in a motercycle crash 6 mo ago......

3. k9racer

k9racer

RACER 5c RACER 5C I looked through my old mag collection and I found Open Wheel first edition on page 32 it shows Doug and Jimmy Cauthers with their midget. Any relation?Also if you have a copy page 36 has a photo that would go with the race car girl thread... As per my personal opion the cars look so much better with OUT wings.plus it is more fun to watch without them.. I love the sound of those offeys. Several years ago at Zepperhills everyone would stop just to listen.

4. k9racer

k9racer

Wyatt I have known flash a long time. I helped him sell the 709 jimmy griggs car to a friend in SC. flash also did the art work on the cover of the Nashville Speedway program in 1967. Many times he would come by Tommy Andrews shop in Huntsville Al and just talk and watch the street racers.

5. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

If you're talking about the Bob Stanford that had a radical lookin' Vega pie wagon bodied Modified, absolutely! The last I'd heard of Bob he was running in Lernerville's Senior Series but that was a few years ago.

Jan

6. edgarallencoe

edgarallencoe
    from Rock Vegas

I only saw it once, it was red and for some reason the #89 rings a bell, but yea he was broomin 'em in the Senior Series for a couple 5 seasons. He kinda looked like one of the Smith Bros Cough Drop guys, tall with a big ole hillbilly beard, his older Brother Ed is my Father in Law.

7. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

Oh yeah....:D One of my mother's major goals in life was for me to become a proper young lady, finish college, marry a brilliant young man and to become not one of those 'Gawd Awful Race Track Bums". Guess what? It didn't work...;)

Jan

8. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

Bobby, when you're talking about "Smut", I'm figuring you're talking about Jimmy Means, no? I haven't heard much about him since the mid '90s. Is he still runnin'?

Jan

9. wyatt

wyatt

k9racer, you said known.....are you aware we lost him 1/2 year ago in a crash.
    i've still got the program fron "67". i can look around my shop and see a lot of his work, jack, stands, cooler......sure did have a steady hand...after a few cool ones

10. GamblinAJ

GamblinAJ
    from Corona Ca

Wing Racing WoO=Formula1 on dirt. As like formula one, the only pass you will see at a wing race is in Line for the crapper..:)

11. racer5c

racer5c

My Dad and My Brother, now go dig up the first issue of Hot Rod Magazine and there is a pic of my Dad there you will really like.

12. k9racer

k9racer

I can not find my 48 thru 50. I know the issue it has a roadster on the cover with a 3 digit number. Would you be so kind to post the photo from the mag of your dad for me.. Thank You.. oh yes were you surprised when I made that post? I saw you or your brother race on a trip up north.I rembered the name.I can rember shit that happened 30 to 50 years ago but I cannot rermber what happened last week. It was fun to watch you guys back them into the corners. No wings= real drivers.Those old cars were peices of beauty not boxey just great lines.

13. I agree. I drove both....with and without and, believe me, it takes more skill without the wing. Plus, I ran this thing at Knoxville mainly and at tracks up this way before the wing deal and I never fell in love with those things.

Attached Files:

14. CrazyD

CrazyD

Just found cool site on all these guys!!
    coloradoracingmemories.com

Very cool pic's

15. krooser

krooser

I wish I had a pic of Mark Martin in my IMCA modified at Francis Creek, WI circa '86....we paid him show $$$ to run my car the night after the Slinger Nats...he made one lap, broke the track record and blew the engine (I put the wrong gear in it...had a 9:50 thru the trans instead of a 6:50...oops!)...anyway my car was probably the biggest POS he ever drove!

I last saw him at Alan Kulwicki's funeral and we had a good laugh about that....

16. GamblinAJ

GamblinAJ
    from Corona Ca

Nice looking car...Is that an original picture or have you restored that???So you must have raced at Knoxville in the god ol days. I have heard many stories about those times. My favorite was when the guys in the Arizona barn were going to hang Ted Johnson for cheating on a poker game...:D :D

17. That picture was taken when I was racing it.....late 70's. Yessir....those were the good old days. The poker games in the Arizona barn are legendary....much like the wet T-shirt contests at Dingus' Bar across Hwy. 14.....:)

18. Offy

Offy

Oval track racin'? Now were talkin'. I been a fan of sprint cars all my life and even did a little racing myself in go karts and modified sprints in the eighty's. A favorite sprint as a kid was Hector Honore's black deuce "Bardahl Offy". I have a black 32 roadster with that as the theme and Bardahl as the tag. I tied the hot rods and sprinters together again this summer with a trip to the Louisville NSRA Nats and then hit sprint car races each night through the following week. I started with Gas City, then Eldora, Kokomo, Oskaloosa and finially the Knoxville Nats. Man there is nothing like a sprint car on a heavy track without a trainer on top backin' into a corner with 23 others right around him. If the weather breaks my oldest boy is racing a 360 with a trainer tomorrow night on a 1/3 mile bullring.
    And anyone named Cauthers from Indiana was fast and Knoxville Iowa without wings in August was the best time there ever was.

19. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Wow! (blowin' the dust off this thread). Been around Merced Speedway in California since at least 1970 (when I was 4)..if not before. Always loved the Nascar Sportsmen (skinnies) and Upright Super Modifieds of the late 60s and 70s. Never dreamed of Daytona...just backing a Sportsman or Super into turn 1 at Merced Speedway. Finally got to race there in 1988 and raced for 13 years winning 1 Track Championship and won 33 of 100 Main Event starts. Finally in 1999 a group of us started a club and created a nostalgia class based on reincarnating the Sportsmen cars of California we grew up watching...and some of the members actually raced when I was that 4 year old. I now race at Rattlesnake Raceway in Fallon Nevada...its in the blood!!! Pics are of my latest Hobby Stock we ran last year, my first go kart race in 1981, my Camaro in 1991, and my California Sportsman in 1999.

http://www.youtube.com/user/slopoke21m
    </EMBED>

Attached Files:

20. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

<EMBED src=http://www.youtube.com/v/kE6dTBQiG6E&hl=en&fs=1 width=425 height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true">

Super 8 movie of the car I grew up around, yup thats me in playing in it in 1972.
    & me tossing it into turn 1 in 1999 during hot laps....HEAVEN!!!

<EMBED src=http://www.youtube.com/v/Bqctyc7jnIE&hl=en&fs=1 width=425 height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>
    </EMBED></EMBED>

21. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Heres mine from last summer....racins Its worse than drugs...they at least have rehab for that
    Been driving since 1985
    Have had a lot of good freinds and good times because of racing.
    Wouldnt trade it
    Hopefully get do it a few more years yet

Tony

Attached Files:

22. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

attended many races in kcmo area in the 60,s and enjoyed watching the welds, dick sutcliff, ray lee goodwin, junior hower and many others, after moving to az begain driving stock cars in az, and nm and ca. still love it.

23. fairlane2k

fairlane2k
    from Oregon,USA

I just saw this thread...Lots of nice looking racecars
    I am still a rookie, but last year I fulfilled a dream. I bought and fixed up an older racecar, to run in a local late model touring series...got to run a few races last year, stills some bugs to work out but what a rush!! #51 is my car, #52 my teammate's car

Attached Files:

24. superglide

superglide

My family has a long history of racing. grandpa bill camfield had his own sinclair station and raced jalopys at first. then the amatures and finaly sprint cars. Bubby Jones drove for grandpa in the late 60's and they were the guys to beat here in central il. uncle jerry and uncle dave also raced sprints with good success. now daves boys run midgets and do pretty good. my brother Al and i both race stock cars. we both run sportsman cars (limited lates). its a lot of fun. both his teenage girls love racing.we have a lot fo friends and family involved. the only problems are we are not getting enough work done on dads 34 poncho project and i havnt been able to get me an old truck.

25. Racer12

Racer12

I have been involved in racing pretty much my whole life. My dad and uncle ran midgets in the 70's and 80's with my uncle Danny Williams driving. Then my cousins raced midgets and sprints as well. My involvement goes from mechanic, chassis builder, fabricator of aluminum racing products, Indy lights mech. with Chesson and Andretti, and as a driver of go karts and sprints. Actually Racer5c gave me my first ride in a competition vehicle (go kart), thanks for the addiction Roy! And I have no intentions of quiting anytime soon.

Bob Shutt

26. Racewriter

Racewriter

My grandfather and father have raced since the 40s. Posted some of their pics on the "historic stock car" thread. As for me, I started in street stocks in 93, won some races, moved to IMCA Late Model in 94, and ran late models pretty heavily through 2000. In 2000, ran out of money (especially trying to keep up with technology), and stopped, sold all my stuff. I'd started writing in 97 on a freelance basis, and did that pretty heavily through 2003, writing for all the major racing magazines as much as possible (which was a lot). Started my own business in 04, and last year was finally able to sponsor a friend's car. Still considering a return to the cockpit for 09, even if it's just a street stock. I'll scan and post some pics of my former rides in a few days.

27. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Ive wrenched all my adult life pretty much on sprints late models and modifieds but now i just go to watch.. I raced a late model in the 70's here in michigan and i had a ball but we didnt have any money so it was a one year if we made any money from the week before lets stop and party at the bar on the way home deal:)... I sure cant say it wasnt any fun :)... Now i just hit as many races as i can during the summer as a spectator.. its pretty much gotta be open wheel racing though.. fenders make me itch :)
    Dave

damn near forgot.. i drove a 1/4 midget a time or 2 also.. i got a pic somewhere

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  28. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Here are the the three that I raced last year. Just sold the red one. So I'll be racing the truck and the late model this year. Been racing for the last 12 years. Dirt and asphalt. We were the NASCAR Track Champions at Tucson Raceway Park in 2007.

Attached Files:

29. wally95

wally95
    from Boone Iowa

Attached Files:

30. wally95

wally95
    from Boone Iowa

Attached Files: