Register now to get rid of these ads!

oval or rectangle gas tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by silent rick, Jun 8, 2013.

1. silent rick

silent rick

i found it on ebay searching flip top caps or was it brass fuel cap?

i'd really love that tank without the advertising. are there baffles in it? are the ends cast where the name can be ground down?

2. I just made the cradles from 20mm aluminium plate a couple of weeks ago. There's also a 5th strut at the rear of the tank set up like a panhard rod to stop sideways movement. All of these tanks are heavy when full and few of them have any real sideways location.

3. silent rick

silent rick

i'm over 90% committed to running the 31 chevy tank. i know it sounds petty but i'm trying to come up with a mount for my license plate. i don't like anything i've come up with so far with the tank out back. but with the tank gone, i like the plate behind and slightly above the 37 ford taillight.

if i don't run a tank above the rear crossmember and go with the bomber seat and bomber tank next to it, i have a problem there also. i like the rigidity that the seat riser adds to the sides when the doors are closed. removing the seat riser will require i come up with bracing inside.
    i thought about narrowing the seat riser. that will keep it firmly mounted to the drivers side and with the gas tank on the passenger side, i could bolt the door closed and maybe and a triangle shaped brace from the floor to the side to keep it from moving.

the way i have to offset the shifter doesn't leave much room for a passengers legs anyway. i don't know why i'm having trouble getting past this decision.

4. gas pumper

gas pumper

The brass flip cap looks to me like a radiator surge tank filler from a GMC bus. All GMC's had that cap. Late 40's to 70's used that cap. It's a very nice part.

Frank

5. Can you put a custom built tank inside the seat riser, perhaps removing the floor and extending down as far as possible? What about a bag tank from a modern rally car?

Alternatively there looks to be space for a wedge shaped tank between the back of the body and the cross member.

6. silent rick

silent rick

i went with the 31 chevy tank that badshifter gave me. thanks again. i made a tunnel so the tank sat over the crossmember. it took away a little over a half gallon from the total capacity but overall, i'm happy with the way it turned out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gas pumper likes this.
  7. That looks sweet, good balance and doesn't hide the stylish lines of the rear axle/spring/chassis set up. But whats that cross member hanging so low for? JW

8. silent rick

silent rick

the crossmember is left over from the previous owner. i didn't want to cut it out until the frame was well braced for fear it might move and throw off a key measurement. i intend to weld in another piece of tubing 3 or 4 inches higher before cutting away everything below the newly added piece. so in effect, the new crossmember will sit 5 or 6 inches higher.
    i thought i'd also try to incorporate a driveshaft hoop into it.

9. That's cool, love the overall look you have achieved here. JW :)

10. silent rick

silent rick

thanks. i plan on running a quickchange and that will alter the position of the driveshaft a little. just another reason i haven't touched the crossmember yet.

11. banginona40

banginona40

Looks Great! The fact that you notched it over the crossmember made all the difference. Thumbs up!

12. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

LOVE it! I agree about dropping it over the crossmember... really helped proportions.