Register now to get rid of these ads!

oval or rectangle gas tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by silent rick, Jun 8, 2013.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Talk to Ron at Ron Pope Motorsports. He'll make one ANY WAY you like. It'll fit your car EXACTLY. It'll be custom to your car and it'll flow like you want.

2. silent rick

silent rick

here's what the oval one looks like.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. bct

bct

rear shot looks great.

4. silent rick

silent rick

here's what what the early chevy tank i got from badshifter looks like. i modified the rectangular tank to slip over the crossmember.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

Awesome T-modified... I gotta ask though, can I vote none of the above? Looks great just like this!

Don't be a hater.. you posted the photo :p

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  6. silent rick

silent rick

actually, that was my next choice. nothing out back. remove the stock seat riser, mount an authentic bomber seat and put this next to the seat along with the battery.
    [​IMG]

i think it would give it more of a lakes purpose built ride.

more rear views without a tank
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

How about a stock '26='27 tank?

8. silent rick

silent rick

with all the bracing i did under the cowl for the bmw steering box, i don't have the room.

9. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really like the way it looks with the square tank you got from badshifter. And cool of him to give it to you. To my eye (for what that's worth) the oval one sits too high, is a hair too big, and the supports seem kind of bulky.

10. I do like the single seat & tank idea. My A mod I went with a round tank over the rear crossmember

11. silent rick

silent rick

the supports are something i whipped up to keep the tank level at where it would sit. i would do something fancy in metal with lightening holes and bells and whistles.

some have asked why i don't tunnel out the bottom of the oval tank to make it sit down over the crossmember like the rectangular one.
    the oval tank has two baffles that are in the way. also, the tunnel would get very close to the sending unit, maybe too close.
    but probably the biggest reason is i just waited 6 months for that tank. i'd rather offer it up for sale to someone who doesn't want to wait that long if i don't end up using it myself.

12. silent rick

silent rick

monday morning opinions?

13. banginona40

banginona40

Very cool little car! Though neither of the proposed tanks work for me . I would prefer something along the lines of the MG tank that sits between the cross member and the body. I saw a tank on ebay that was from the under seat of a Jeep CJ model and thought that might be worth look. Maybe mess around with some cardboard patterns and bend one up yourself or find some one in your area with the right equipment. Anyway keep up the good work, nice little short.

14. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I like the square tank.

15. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Actually after looking at it for a while, and conferring with my inner opinionated bastard, I really like the square tank. It's cool. This car is about the embracing and highlighting the mechanical stuff. That tank works. I would maybe build some cool taillight stands from some fender braces or something just to bring them a few inches up and out.

16. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

And perhaps paint the tank body color, so it will blend in more.

17. You're going to want a passenger seat. Sooner than later.

I like the square tank. Matches the boxy lines of that T well. The oval seems to sit really high. May just be an optical illusion though.

Any way you go, that T is awesome!

JH

18. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

I like the square tank, but the oxygen tank in the pass seat would be my choice.

-Mitch

19. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

I dig how you notched the square tank for the crossmember. Run it!

20. I like the square tanks look with the recess and agree it would look more right if the color was less brown,what a cool idea to recess it. I would love that oval one for my rpu.Whats the gap betmeen your crossmember and the ground ? JW.

21. JohnnyCASHcadillac

JohnnyCASHcadillac
    from SO CAL-

I had the same problem. Then when I got it, it leaked!!!

22. silent rick

silent rick

i intend to make stands for the 37 ford taillights that will bring them up about 2 inches. the tank is rusty but solid. it won't fit in my booth so it's going to a friend's house so he can sandblast it for me.
    i probably lost a gallon capacity by making the tunnel.
    i like the square tank better than the oval but a part of me wants to run the bomber tank inside the cockpit.

23. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

It just looks so clean with no tank. You going to have a seat riser? Maybe build a tank where the seat riser would normally be? It could be made to stick down below the body sub-frame with a notch for the driveshaft. Just throwing ideas about....

[​IMG][/URL]

24. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

The square tank looked good. Reminds me of the first tank I ran on my Model A. I eventually opted for something different though.

[​IMG]

25. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I like it without a tank out back. You won't need a passenger seat, she can ride on the crossmember.

26. silent rick

silent rick

my thoughts are the oval tank is a distant third at this time. i like the rectangular tank channelled over the crossmember but there's something about that crossmember. the simple arch to it, i'm finding it hard to cover it up.
    i need to stare at it for awhile longer.

27. badshifter

badshifter

Hey, I vote for the rectangle tank!

Looking good either way.

28. I hear what you are saying about the crossmember,could you do a tank that will be a tall thin wedge shape that will not spoil those cool lines etc. JW

29. I personally like the oval tanks in general, but on your car id have to vote for the rectangle or the tg , NOT a fan of sitting on top of or right next too a fuel tank, just in case something should go bad ,

30. silent rick

silent rick

with a car this small or open, you can say that about anywhere i put the tank