Register now to get rid of these ads!

Outside! Progress Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 43gman, Sep 25, 2009.

1. 43gman

43gman
    from NC

Outside!! There is something about seeing her outside of the confines of the garage for the very first time, actually starting to look like a car. This AM she is going for her exhaust work, and I snapped these while waiting for the pick up.

Attached Files:

2. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

3. lookin good man!

4. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

Very nice, I like it.

5. odins701

odins701

Very Nice!! Quick, throw the carb on and a bucket inside before the pick up gets there, that way you can drive it back ;)
    Looks awsome! :)

6. All right!,,I remember that first time my truck was pushed outside,,,looked about the same way,,I know your stoked,,car looks great! HRP

7. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Looks real good, I can't wait till my A is a roller. That is what I want my SBC to look like, stock and new!

8. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Oh Baby!! Be sure to keep the progress pics coming. That reminds me of my high school ride back in 1962 Wish I had her today.

Frank

9. my2nd40

my2nd40
    from Tennessee

Congratulations on a nice ride! Well done.

10. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Very nice , great looking ride!:D

11. 43gman

43gman
    from NC

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. Input from the HAMB on this car is the best motivation I know. To have Frank say that this car reminded him of his 60’s hot rod is the best compliment I could get! The whole idea from day one has been to try to get as close as possible to what you and I would have done as a couple of teenagers building a hot rod in their back yard in 1959, and while there have been some concessions along the way, (u-joints to the ‘40 Ford steering box, “later” rear end, aluminum radiator, etc.) it is good to hear comments like yours!

One of the biggest problems for me was the exhaust. When we were mocking the car up it didn’t look as if the stock ‘55-’56 exhaust would work, and we fitted a set of tight tuck headers, pretty much a no brainer to plumb. But the things never looked “right” in there, and this past week, two days before the appointment for the exhaust work, we reinstalled the original manifolds and called the exhaust guy out to look at it. “I think we can work them in,” he said. The only observation he made was he’d really like to use 1 3/4” pipe. This is exactly what I wanted to hear! To my eye, the 1 3/4” exhaust pipe is “correct” for late 50’s/early 60’s car. What I didn’t know, he said the motor will make better torque with a reduced exhaust pipe, and if I understand it rightly, a 265” mouse can use a little extra torque.

Anyway, it is hard to get a picture of the great job these guys did snaking that pipe around the steering and still having it look so good. They also hooked up the lake plugs, (a 50's/60’s “must have,” IMO,) and ran 1 3/4” all the way to the back. Talk about motivation to crank the thing!!

Last night I put the radiator on for the last time, and now begins the next phase of assembly. The muffler guy is having a big one day hot rod show at his place in Wilmington on December 5th, which would be a sweet “coming out” party for our little coupe. More motivation! Also, if you’re in the area, the gathering of hoodlums and rabble rousers is supposedly a pretty good couple of hours. Finally, if you need any sort of exhaust work in the SE NC area, this guy is worth checking out! PM for additional information.

Attached Files:

12. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

sweet ride...still thinking about the hand paint job?

13. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

I'm digging your ''A'' BIG time, real nice and clean!

Nick.

14. motorhead711

motorhead711

15. coming along very nicely

16. 94hoghead

94hoghead