Register now to get rid of these ads!

"OUTKASTS" Car Show---Mitchell, SD photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MCINK, Sep 28, 2008.

1. My thoughts as well............I guess a money shot would kill it?:rolleyes:

2. Ever notice how the spectators seem to have a puzzled :confused: look on their faces?

Thanks,
    Kurt

ps- I like the Caterpillar radiator.

3. Suecyde

Suecyde

WOW..I now know why no one wants to take care of our elders. Why Social Security is going to shit and why our nations youth has turned to building domestic vehicles instead of enjoying our past in which ever way possible. Indeed I am an FNG.. and of course I don't know shit. But what I do know is how to respect the fact that someone put some hard work and sweat into these vehicles. If this is how you act to someone you have not yet met, I am afraid to know how you raised you're children. These vehicles may not be to your liking. They may not even fit what you call "Traditional" or "Kustom".. but is it real reason to "DISRESPECT" <-- and yes it disrespectful to tell someone that their work is SHIT, all because you dislike a style. Different they are, but if ugly is to enjoy a bit of the past then gentlemen your cars are even worse.
    All I know is that I love these cars. These cars were obviously not build with money, they were not built by someone else, nor were they build to just sit and look pretty. These cars were built to ENJOY.. Most of you that have "Traditional Rods" wouldn't even let your car hit a puddle of water, road dirt, or travel a distance that would risk all the money you put into your ROD. I respect these cars because they can enjoy what you will never. So when you OLD FARTS ( as Chili put it) die in a few years, "The Crude and Better than all Attitude" will hopefully die with you.

<table width="602" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr><td valign="middle"><dl><dt>
    </dt></dl></td> <td valign="top"> <dl><dt>You got to like your work. You have got to like what you are doing, you have got to be doing something worthwhile so you can like it -- because it is worthwhile, that it makes a difference, don't you see? </dt><dt>--Col. Harland Sanders</dt></dl></td></tr></tbody></table>

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  4. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Im glad I live in California. That spiderweb window is SICK though!

5. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

You guys are fucking idiots!

6. bdbecker

bdbecker
    from Iowa

I was in Mitchell last year, and again this year for the show. The few photos posted do not accurately reflect the cars that showed up for the event. There was a huge variety of vehicles that showed up this year - gassers (a few last year, only one this year), lead sleds, lowriders, 60's and 70's muscle, a few traditional hot rods, and a few billet pieces of crap floating around - hell, there was even a '95 V6 Mustang in the show (WTF?). The rats were outnumbered by at least 5 to 1.

Yes, a few were over the top and absolutely stupid. But, being from the midwest and a current resident of SD, I take all this trash talking about how we can't build rides without protest. Can any one of you honestly tell me that the same crap doesn't happen in your areas as well? Don't judge SD based on a few pictures from one event, especially when there have been posts showing other rides from the state that you all seem to agree are nice rides.

-F.N.G. Brad

7. Suecyde ... you may have picked a very apt screen name ... 'cuz making posts like this on a message board dedicated to "Spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods and customs to hoodlums world wide" may just get yourself killed (figuratively speaking).

While I may agree it's disrespectful to call someone else's creation a "piece of shit" ... I also think it is just as disrespectful to our hobby to build a "car" like some of the "vehicles" pictured in this thread ... and then try to pass them off as traditional hot rods on the H.A.M.B. (MCINK's original first post called them "traditional" ... he later changed it to "interesting").

I like all kinds of cars as well (hot rods, street rods, muscle cars, restored cars, race cars, sports cars, etc.) ... hell, I have a '62 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider that I love and am currently re-restoring ... but I certainly wouldn't start a thread on the H.A.M.B. about my Italian Sports Car ... there's already several places on the Internet to discuss my Alfa (http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/alfaromeo750-101, www.alfabb.com, etc.)

I hope I (or any other HAMBer) haven't discouraged you from remaining a member of this board ... that was not my intent ... the Jalopy Journal & the H.A.M.B. have a lot great info & multi-media content to offer ... it just happens to have a focus on traditional rods & customs ... not "Old Skool Rodz"

Where's KIRK! (and The Fonz) when you need em? ... Kirk does a way better job of articulating this to a newbie.

8. skwurl

skwurl

I guess you would know being from FLA.

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I'll have to disagree with you there bud, those cars are built for the shock factor and to say that they would travel a distance, well you're just fooling yourself. While I have DRIVEN my car to this event in the past, and many times THRU SD on my way west, I have yet to EVER see a rat rod with SD plates in Michigan under their own 4 wheel rubber power.

In fact, we'll just see how many show up under their own power at the HunnertCarPileup in a couple of weeks. LOTS of trailers in the hotel parking lots with rat rods on them, very few if any with normal traditional hot rods and customs.

10. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

GREAT coverage of a cool event!!!! Thanxalot!

11. skwurl

skwurl

I like the tires:D

12. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

lets get this straight,Barris built the coach for a horror themed tv show,i dont see any vampires,miuture werewolves or large hands coming out of boxes. Lets not forget what the barris brothers put out before the coach,there is no way in hell you can get away with trying to justify what we see in this thread by comparing it to creations like the hirohata merc or anything barris did before the coach. I want to see some respect for the people who have gone before us,like Barris,hines,the westergard tradition,a respect for style,and the age of the iron you have in your hand.One person went so far as to say its a sport,WTF? I would like to see the reaction on Bill hines face"..Hey bill,sorry but you do realise you are playing a game"..you could be looking at a cigar pressed rather violently into your forehead.This is our way of life its in our blood,its more than just skulls,spider webs,almost undrivable channelling jobs. some talk about disrespecting peoples work,calling it shit.Well disrespecting the tradition,the blood and sweat that went into the customs gone,the builders past is more of a problem to me.I would like to see old iron bought back to life in a great way and to me this isnt it.One other thing,this is about tech week,it shows you how not to build a rod,it shows you that you cant polish a turd

13. Here's a news flash for you, Suecyde: This car hobby is in good hands with some young people. I've made a bunch of friends with guys who are truly carrying the torch forward. You ask why these shit piles get slagged on the HAMB? It's because it reflects upon all of us, as a whole segment of society. I can remember getting some CS tickets for height of lic plate and cracked glass. In the last few years, the build quality of SOME cars at shows and on the road has become appalling.

These guys who are defending these piles are only being subjected to peer pressure. It's how we keep the faith. If there really IS a hot rod faith, or proper way of doing things, then rat rods are blasphemy.

14. KIRK!

KIRK!

This is tedious.

The bottom line is that there is a HUGE difference between do-it-yourself and traditional. Ideally a traditional car is built by the owner, but just because you hobbled together a bunch of trash yourself doesn't even remotely make it traditional. There is a limited amount of looks and finite amount of parts etc. that fall into the "traditional" category and they are the palette from which we paint.

What does traditional mean? Look at any hot rod related magazine circa 1969 or before and you'll see it. There were no Caterpillar grills, bedpan air cleaners, skull headlights, 30" tall cars that weren't salt flat streamliners. Period.

Lots of these guys are so blinded by the attention that trash rods get that they don't care to see these facts. Just because people stop to look doesn't make it cool. People stare at the retarded kid - it doesn't make me want to be retarded.

I have to give up for a few days. The rat rodders seem to be taking over the HAMB and telling us that WE don't get it. That their shitboxes are traditional. Somehow it's a better idea to delete posts of traditional-loving hot rodders having fun at car shows than curb the flood of rat rodders diluting an otherwise great place and arguing that garbage is traditional because they piled it up themselves.

I'm starting to get a complex because all of the threads I post on get locked or deleted. This will be another one.

P.S. Please keep in mind that I am not busting the balls of the thread starter or the event. I am speaking to cars like this and those who want to say that they are traditional.

[​IMG]

15. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

well said chili phil,damn straight!! There are alot of young guys out there,iam 27 ,we have the respect for what has gone before us to do the tradition honor! The hot rod faith is exactly what i try to encompass with my rides and the rides of my fellow club members.I admit iam hardcore about this,i, like phil,feel that it reflects on us all,i cant soil the memory of guys like wally parks who fought to put this lifestyle on the map.

16. blackout

blackout

17. 32PlymouthGirl

32PlymouthGirl

I am not sure exactly why I keep checking in on this thread besides the fact that I am a bit crazy maybe. I normally don't let too much bug me and I usually have the attitude that if you don't like me, my car, etc., the heck with ya... Plus I can handle some constructive criticism... But I can honestly say that after the 4th or 5th time I read someone call "all the cars at the mitchell show" shit, It started to hurt a little. Plus the cars shown are not all of the cars that were there. I have never liked everything I see at any certain show.

My husband and I try to build our cars as traditional as we can and after 2 years of hard work and determination, I was damn excited to finally get my car to a show. Not all the cars there this year were all that pretty, but I just walked past the ones I didn't like. The people we've met there over the past 3 years are super... I may not like all their cars, but we all have a good time.

I joined the HAMB because after watching over my husband's shoulder for a long while, I found there to be very useful and helpful people/topics on here. I still find a lot of useful stuff here and will continue to enjoy this hobby/passion with my husband.

Attached Files:

18. blackout

blackout

32PlymouthGirl

I think your car looks pretty neat. I like the porportions. You are going to knock off the rust, right?

19. 32PlymouthGirl ... Whoa ... please show me the post in this thread that states that ALL the cars @ the OUTKAST show are shit.

PS ... Nice to see a Mopar (early HEMI) in your Mopar ('32 Plymouth PB Coupe)! :) ... now just swap that '34-'36 International grille shell for a Mopar shell (or a Deuce grille) and it'll be complete! ;):D

20. 32PlymouthGirl

32PlymouthGirl

Here's the post I was referring to that directly calls all the cars are crap/shit... same thing.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment... the International grille was what we had.... trust me... if I can find a plymouth grille (that I can afford).... I'd put it on! :eek:)

21. Flatheaded

Flatheaded
    from Nordakoda

My wife and I have been at and had a car at the last three shows. Yes, you do see alot of the "ratty" style of cars but that is what the Outkasts Car Club promotes on their registration. If anyone saw a flyer it did say "Rat Rods and Unfinished Cars Welcomed". The thing that I found funny was that some of the cars that were at the Watertown show three weeks previous, and were labeled as rat rods in this thread, were also at the Mitchell show. Why didn't anyone jump all over that. I heard nothing but good about the Watertown show and did see pics from it and can agree that it looked to be a pretty good show and hope to attend next year. I'm not trying to start any fights here, although I think I an too late, but why do some of us have to be so negative against someone elses car or show. The Outkasts seem to work hard at putting on a small but fun show. The entertainment is always good, the prices and awards are always cool and all of the Outkast members, SD and NE, are some of the nicest people I have met in this area. They really go out of their way to make sure you have a good time. I don't think it is right to call someone elses car a shitpile or rat rod or junk or non-traditional. We all have a certain picture in our head as to what "traditional" is. I know I do and try to carry it out in my own cars but I can guarantee we have all crossed over to the "other side" from time to time and probably not have noticed it. I don't like the "ratty" cars anymore than the rest of you but when I see one I simply look the other way and keep walking. Hell, I have even walked up to a few and taken a look myself. Come on! We have all done it. They do draw attention. I don't think anyone can argue that. But I surely don't slam someone because they have built a car in some way that I wouldn't have or that is not traditional. Everyone has an imagination and is capeable of building something. Some of us more than others but we all deserve credit for what we have done, whether right or wrong. It is all part of learning. Right? I guess I look at it this way. I watched the coverage of the Hunnert Car Pileup again the other day that I had Tivo'd and I noticed a couple of cars there that were at Mitchell. One in particular about two minutes into the show (it's on this thread too). Why was this car allowed in the show if it isn't traditional? I myself look at that car as definitely non-traditional. Don't the Chrome Czars have guidelines? It is really not up to me to say it was right or wrong. It's not my car and it's not my show. I didn't see anyone tearing that apart on here. Was it because of the popularity of the show? I guess we are on the HAMB because we all have simular interests. I don't think it is necessary to put someone down because they built a car the wrong way. You are going to get many different ideas depending on what coast you are on or even if you aren't on a coast. I have made alot of good friends on here and at shows all over and feel too many people go through the trouble of raising a bunch of hell just because they see something that pisses them off. I guess the best comment I have heard is from "Overspray" here on the HAMB. He once told me that "He doesn't give a fuck what people thing of his car. He built it and he drives it!" I think more people should have this feeling. Lastly, my wife and I have built two cars together and I consider them to be traditional. Not everyone does though. I have had our cars called rat rods, jalopys, junk, traditional rods, wierd, unfinished, etc. But does it really make the car better or worse to give it a label? Here are a few pics of them. What I would like everyone here to do is critique the living shit out of them. Call them what you want, tell me what I did wrong, tell me what is not traditional, tell me why it is a rat rod, whatever. But when you are done, post a pic of your car so everyone else can do the same. We are all able to point fingers and hide behind our monitors. I'll get off my soap box now and let someone else up there. Have at it!

Attached Files:

22. KIRK!

KIRK!

Flatheaded,

Personally I'm not slamming them for building what they want - more power to 'em for that. I'm slamming the fact that they want to argue that a pile of trash (I mean that literally) is traditionally-styled. This forum is for traditional cars, not rat rods. That doesn't make us right and them wrong, it just makes this the wrong place for them to be displayed and praised. If they want to build an "art car" out of rusty miscellaneous garbage, right on. They just shouldn't whine when the people here don't like it or call it what it is - a rat rod.

23. DAMN, you guys must hate Barris' work.

24. KIRK!

KIRK!

George - yes

Sam - no

25. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

KIRK!, well said.

Flatheaded, you must be able to see the difference between you and your wife's cars and some of the others in this thread??? I would NOT put them in the same category.

26. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

I love a good Hot Rod! Period!! But a piece of shit is a piece of shit and too damn bad if the owner or creator of said piece of shit gets hurt by me thinking that, really, who cares what I think? Me, thats who, and I have the power to express my thoughts just like they had the freedom to build said shit.

After being the tech at Barona and seeing some of these cobbled together rust buckets, all I can say is that some of them where either really drunk when they built them, had not clue how cars work and failed Auto Shop or bought it from someone who hated people.

Cars with only spot welds to hold on body panels, jagged welds that actually caught my shirt when I was trying to tech these things, no firewalls, the stupid Pabst Blue ribbon overflow can, badly rigged linkage on most everything, no seat belts, and the traditional mexican blanket for a seat. no tie downs on batteries, fuel tanks and loose tools, no floors! Cute, really cute.

Now, before I get lynched on some of this, mind you that this was for tech on a car that was about to head down a race track. Some where passed after they insisted and the track management agreed only to break and spew shit all over my track! And some of you know how much we love shit on our track!

Most traditonal cars had all the good stuff and rarely got bounced. They where built by their owners also and they cared about their cars and also about their safety and others.

First time I saw one of these things I thought they where a pretty wild novelty, now I just tend to ignore them.

27. 32PlymouthGirl ... I interpreted L.A.-Bar & hombres ruin's posts as meaning all of the so-called "RR" cars in MCINK's pictures from the Mitchell SD event ... not all the cars at the Mitchell event. NOTE: I, & others complimented the MCINK's pics of the Chevy Gasser, the green Studie, and the pic of your engine!

... and BTW, I was only joking about the your International grille shell ... it looks cool :cool: ... and thank goodness it isn't off of an Allis-Chalmers, Caterpillar, Ferguson, Ford, John Deere, Massey, or Minnesota-Moline tractor! :D

28. 32PlymouthGirl

32PlymouthGirl

HEMI32 - Your reply on the grille shell made me realize that I should have specified International "truck"!... People probably picked up on that obvious fact, but that's all I need is for everyone to think that I pulled it off of a piece of machinery from my dad's farm... cuz I don't exactly like the implement look myself!

29. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Flatheaded and 32Plymouthgirl as the official 5 state uppermidwest judger of what is traditional and what is not (self appointed:p) you can clearly see I put your car in the clear.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=297568

Sorry, I didn't get to meet you in Mitchell. And just so people don't think I am just a keyboard jockey here are my rat rods...:D

Attached Files:

30. I think that looks fine just the way it is. I don't mind a car with some rust. I like some cars that look like they were found in the elements and made to do what a car is designed to do- drive. There's something to be said about it surviving and not needing to be all gussied up to be acceptable. And, it reminds me that they're metal cars, they're eventualy going to rust and rot away. They're not going to be preserved forever.

Not every car needs to be painted nicely. It matters what is done with the build from there more than if it has fancy paint. There are what I think are H.A.M.B.-popular cars that have rust and don't have fancy paint. I would give some examples, but then that wouldn't be protecting the guilty.

I don't care for the shock factor cars. I think they get the reaction that they do here because I think they were mostly built for the reaction reason. Most of them look like they weren't built to drive, and if they are driven they look to be unsafe and uncomfortable. I like that Caterpillar radiator- I couldn't care less if it isn't traditional.

And, where's Tingler when you need him? :D

Thanks,
    Kurt