Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods out with the old

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BURN OUT BOB, Dec 28, 2020.

1. bob and engine.jpg Well; not quite. Have a slight hic-up with 47 truck motor so it it coming out & the original 21 stud is going to work in its' spot. Lotza bucks in this P O S & the machinist is dead. I was adjusting the valve lash & turning it over by hand when it just locked up. I reefed on it a bit & broke it free. That didn't last & it locked up again. This time I didn't have to use so much pressure on it & it came free. I wouldn't feel safe driving that so decided to just go ahead & pull it & tear it down to find out why it is not playing nice.
    I have two cylinders with sleeves & everything is .040 with a ground cam. Some where near an L-100 with the cam being nitrated, Isky purple springs & new bearings. Rods aligned, blocked decked & heads planed. Squish is .50 & melling oil pump. Engine has around 5-600 miles.

reagen, loudbang, Irish Mike and 5 others like this.
  2. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Sorry to hear that but you will find and fix the woopsy.

loudbang likes this.
  3. theboss20

theboss20

Acts like somebody dropped a screw...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

loudbang likes this.
  4. Shorts and T-shirt ?? I am envious.

loudbang and Lil32 like this.

5. rpu28

rpu28
    from Austin

Kinda hard on the machinist, weren't you?

clem, 40FORDPU, Truck64 and 3 others like this.
  6. little red 50

little red 50

Read his t-shirt he don't mess around! Sorry about your troubles bob. Better luck with your new engine.

loudbang, Lil32 and Stogy like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hope it is not too major a deal but having to pull the engine is pretty serious...something has failed the stress test, that's for sure...

loudbang, Lil32 and brady1929 like this.
  8. v8flat44

v8flat44

Don't ya hate it when that happens.......my shop guy took care of me with a simular problem.....still a pain in the back side. Wish you well !

loudbang and rod1 like this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

I know you know this, but pull the heads and see what's up.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  10. pumpman

pumpman

Just hate surprises. Hope it’s nothing big.

11. getow

getow

Let us know what you find. Got me curious.

warhorseracing and Stogy like this.
  12. Can you try and just pull the heads before pulling the engine to see if there is something there? They are going to have to come off anyway. May save pulling the entire engine.

13. Budget36 & warhorseracing & everyone;

Engine is stripped of pan, oilpump, heads, timing cover & intake all the bolts & nuts are gone,just need to attach the hoist & jack away ,then install the 21 stud till I find out the problem besides meself. Prolly the biggest one of all. ha ha
    I do miss the machinist as no one else can give me answers except for what is written on the invoice. He had a lot of medical issues that I didn't find out about untill a couple of valve heads broke off. He did reimburse me for for pulling all the valves & send them to him & he replaced all the valves & springs. Well too cold for cruising anyway. Imust admit that I'm gettin too damn old for this stuff& no one to help.

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The engine swap sounds like the easier avenue at this point...at least you have that...

loudbang likes this.
  15. Sorry to hear your having problems with the engine Bob,
    you got all winter to get it fixed. HRP

loudbang likes this.
  16. Sorry that you have not found any issue with it yet at this point of tear down.:( I was hoping for you that something got ingested in the carb and would be laying on top of a piston with no damage.;) Please keep us posted as to what you find if you ever do. I had an OT Ford engine once that would rotate about 10 complete times then lock up. Reverse the rotation and could not get to do it again. Put the engine in the car and broke in the cam and tuned the carb. Took it to the drag strip, first pass BANG.:eek: Upon tear down found a 1/4" nut imbedded in a piston top. Broke the cylinder and junked the block. Was able to rework the cylinder head, re bore and align another block, reused the 7 .040 over pistons and one new one. Car ran in the 9's with a nitrous shot so it went.:rolleyes:

17. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You were adjusting the valves and then it locked up?

If that's the case, it sounds to me like you might have a valve mis-adjusted and it's hitting the head.

A nut dropped into an intake port and making it's way into a cylinder is also a possibility.

18. 1935ply

1935ply
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from peyton,co
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Just a thought, I have a L-100 cam in my flathead. Have you looked at your plugs? I adjusted my valves and then put the edelbrock heads on with copper gaskets. When I was turning it over with a ratchet I could feel something hitting. I took a head off and all the grounds where bent on the plugs from the exhaust valves from the 375 lift cam. I had to use index washers to raise the plugs. Maybe he set the lash loose and now readjusting its to close?

19. 1935ply I don't recall any bent grds on the plugs, but will go back & check. It sucks when you can't go back & ask the machinist.

loudbang, TrailerTrashToo and Stogy like this.
  20. Hope that's all it is. In a semi related story,. my snow blower wouldn't start this afternoon. Pulled the plug to find the ground strap closed up. Yep, wrong plug

21. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I have a sign in my shop that says, "Before you say it's my fault, Are you sure it was my job?"

'34 Ratrod, warhorseracing and Stogy like this.
  22. ol Burn Out Bob turned the speedometer up to 88 today. Had a great day now to just get this friggin thing together. Got the 21 stud in & running. Now to get these fenders sanded & painted ,put em on & gone. gonna be side tracked in a month so hope I get done but doubtful bob and 34 roadster.jpg . OH nothing much just our 50th wedding anniversary party.

23. Happy Birthday Bob!!!!! Get your ass to work on them fenders! If i wasn't on the other end of the country I'd be right there helping out :D

24. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wishing you a happy 88th birthday Bob, enjoy a slice of water melon on this auspicious occasion !

make a date with the 88.jpg watermelon (2).JPG

Baumi, chargin03 and loudbang like this.
  25. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Happy Birthday Bob!

loudbang likes this.
  26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn, that sucks, hopefully it is something minor and not a fatal engine issue.
    Being as my name is Robert and I go by Rob I now who know who I am going to point to and say "NO, he is BOB, not me" and go for it. One of the best things about my 13 years of teaching was the foot ball coach was BOB and no one called me Bob at work. Only about two people in the world are allowed that.
    Damn, being close to 75 I hope I am still out in the garage turning wrenches when I turn 88, Happy birthday.

loudbang and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  27. Budget36

Budget36

X3! Get it in the road!

41 GMC K-18 and loudbang like this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Bob. :)

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  29. SS327

SS327

Nice melons! Happy Birthday!

loudbang and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  30. bday fire.jpg

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Bob!!

Grandadeo, pitman, loudbang and 4 others like this.