Register now to get rid of these ads!

out of state salvage titles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boghog, Feb 6, 2006.

  1. boghog
    Joined: Feb 6, 2006
    Posts: 1

    from PA

    i found a truck on ebay that looks good, price is right, but it has a NY salvage title. after poking about on the web and this site, i'm getting the impression that it's not easy to get a vehicle like this titled in PA. anyone have any suggestions or comments on this? thanks
  2. Ask your DMV. Then ask a lawyer, as sometimes, this can be worked out.
    AFAIK, however, it's impossible in Illinois to re-title a salvage vehicle.

  3. Bruce Lancaster
    Joined: Oct 9, 2001
    Posts: 21,205

    Bruce Lancaster

    Do what Cosmo says, AND ask a junkyard owner. My understanding is that a salvage title is as valid as a regular one, but is of course a severe blot on a car's record in the modern used car world...
    What I was told once was that salvage titles were issued for cars that were junked and had their original titles turned in by the junkyard. When then purchased from the yard by someone intending reregistering and use, they need a salvage title that notes the car has had a checkered past AND requires a special inspection to be sure that its engine and body do not carry serial numbers from a stolen vehicle. Once the salvage title is issued, I believe it is as valid as a regular title, but permanently indicates the car was rebuilt from presumed junk.
  4. Must be '73-up if it's a NY title vehicle. Best bet is to check with some PA folks who know how to play the DMV game -
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

  5. plym_46
    Joined: Sep 8, 2005
    Posts: 3,443

    from central NY

    As noted NY cars had no titles previous to 73, ownership was transferred by transferable registration slips or bill of sale. The most common way a salvage title is issued in NY is if a vehicle is involved in an accident, or in some other way, flood , fire, treefall, etc. is damaged to an extent that its repair costs exceeds its resale value. Usually when an insurance company pays a "total" claim, they take title as part of the settlement. Many times the Hulk will be auctioned for "salvage value". In many cases, mechanical shops or body shops will purchase these cars at salvage pool auctions, and repair or rebuild them for personal use of for sale at a profit.

    However, NY DMV will need to inspect the car before a new title is issued. these inspections take place at DMV field offices, and rather than inspect the vehicle for road worthyness, are inspecting for stolen parts being used in the repair. For this "service" we get to pay the Great State of NY 200 bucks to have a couple of disgruntled ex statetroopers go over the car, inspect your reciepts, and hopefully declare the car free of stolen parts.
    So in NY any way, you would need to go through this process but in the end you could have a repair title issued to replace the salvage title. A fellow I work with dabbles with these types of deals. He recently bought a Stratus RT coupe for 2800.00, put about 1000.00 in used parts into it, plus his time, and materials and is selling it for 6500.00. so he will clear the difference less the salvage inspection fee. We are beginning to see a lot of Katrina, and Rita cars in the salvage pool. Quick fixes if you like mold and mud, and hope the drive train will last for a month or so after you pedal it. Caveat Emptor.
  6. 302GMC
    Joined: Dec 15, 2005
    Posts: 4,518

    from Idaho

    Any NY title company paper coming into Idaho is automaticly red flagged.
  7. sawzall
    Joined: Jul 15, 2002
    Posts: 4,518


    so what kind or papers does this truck have with it? a new york "registration" from the era were interested in wasnt any kind of title.

    heres what I do know.. any car coming into pa from out of state requires that a pa inspection mechanic, or a notary, verify the VIN.. theres a form associated with this proceedure.. and I believe its the MV-1 (so you could search for it)

    I ONLY know this because I brought "in" 3 cars last year. on one (a 99 chevy)I was required to show the notary the vin on the actual vehicle.. which was a pain given that I bought the car at carlisle.. the other two were non operables that I was able to get my towtruck driver / inspection mechanic.. to verify the vin before he unloaded them at my house..

    I am getting ready to go through the same mess with another car..

    go to a notary that knows (or at least likes) old cars..

    YOU may also get away with a rubbing of the vin.. (a tracing)

    all this is assuming that the ny registration shows the vin at all..

    later sawzall
  8. 6-71
    Joined: Sep 15, 2005
    Posts: 530


    I can speak from personal experience on this issue. I have bought three vehicles with Ohio salvage certificates, and rebuilt them with Pa. reconstructed titles. The procedure is no different than rebuilding a Pa. salvage vehicle. Yes it is a major PITA but it is very doable. They have recently changed some of the Pa paperwork for reconstructed vehicles, but if you do all the steps it should not be a problem. Make sure you take pictures before you repair the vehicle. I recently rebuilt an Ohio wreck, titled it reconstructed in Pa, now it is titled in Florida as a rebuilt vehicle. The Florida deputy sherrif actually looked the car over before clearing it for registration.:rolleyes:

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2013 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.