Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Out Of Hibernation - 55 Chev

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by travj31, Sep 17, 2013.

1. After sitting for about 10-12 years, the old double-nickle is back on the street and is better than ever. Big thanks to my dad and fellow HAMB'er BJE31 for making this happen. Also, like to thank FordF1TruckNut for helping out with some of the mechanicals.

After it's long nap... With some needed upgrades, I have kept the 55 pretty true to it's 60's street/strip style build that my dad initially put together back in 1990. With practically no miles and living a sheltered life since its rebuild 23+ years ago, the car has stayed in pretty nice shape. Out of all the cars that have come and gone, this is the one that is here to stay...

Updates include...

• Ditching the modern looking radial tires for some Towell City Pie Crust Cheater Slicks and Front Runners
    • Recurved distributor
    • De-1990ing it - valve covers, air cleaner, braided lines, etc.
    • New dual master
    • New high torque mini starter
    • Steering wheel and Tach
    • And a bunch of odds and ends
    I have memories of this car back to when I was 5/6 years old, even got my senior pictures taken with it - which is probably about the last time the car was road worthy until now. 12 Years later, it's back and hope to keep it alive and well ... just how I remembered it.

This car also has some supposed street racing history from back in the late 1960's from the town I currently live in now (Uniontown, PA). Back then it was said to have been a sea foam green with a wicked little 327 and 4-speed. Now the pretty healthy 406 moves it along quite nicely! Hopefully it will get switched back to a 4 speed this winter with some steeper gears.

First pic is how it sat for the last decade or so untouched... Rest of the pics are recent to its resurrection back on the road

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  2. Neat car, looks great with Cragars.

3. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

Damn! That is very Nice!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Sweet 55 chebby!!!

5. Andamo

Andamo

Looks good Travis. Never knew that it was that nice since I only saw the back end of it partially uncovered a few years ago.

6. The 55 Chevy has always been on of my favorites.....Very nice!!!

7. Thanks everyone for the compliments... I can't take too much credit though as my dad is the one who initially put it together, I just did the honor of getting it rolling again.

Dan - Yeah, it literally didn't see the light of day for at least 10 years so it had a thick coating of dirt/grime on it from just sitting. Once I got it all cleaned up, dad and I were shocked at how nice everything still was.

8. Rocket88

Rocket88

I can't believe that you let something like that sit for soooo loooong!
    It sure looks great,.

9. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

What size tires did you put on there? Looks great!

10. drivewaycustoms

drivewaycustoms
    from waldorf,MD

Looks great, I love 55's, but who doesn't?

11. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Nice 55 it's neat your Dad built it and now you can keep the tradition going. I see its got camel hump heads. Do you know what compression that 406 has. I had a 406 in a 55 awhile back it had lots of low end torque. Enjoy the 55. Ron

12. Front and rears are both from Towell City out of NC. Rears are there 7inch wide pie crusts and the fronts are their 27inch tall front runners. This is the second set of tires I have ordered from them and they have been great. Had them on my doorstep in like 4 or 5 business days.

Yeah, it's a pretty cool old car that I hope doesn't ever leave the family anytime too soon. Engine is pretty stout... Believe compression is right around 11.5 to 1.

13. Great looking ride!

14. Wow the white looks really cool! We have a 55 in the family as well the old man built it in the late 80's. Hasn't seen much road time since my wedding in 02. But I'm working on that now that I took it and brought it home. I sure do like the pie crust wheels on there. Tried to get a pic up but no luck. :banghead:

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  15. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I've said this before, the ONLY wheel to put on a Tri-Five Chevrolet are Cragar S/S rims. You just proved that even more. Butch/56sedandelivery.

16. I got it I guess you have to do it before you type out you message 1379457503655.jpg this also has Cragar s/s rims

17. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

Wow, I love the way those tires look. I pulled up Towel City's website but still didn't see the info I was looking for. Are those new tires or re-treads? They are bias ply aren't they?

18. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Love the look, totally '60s MP class street car.

All it needs now is a 4spd!!!!

19. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

20. eightbanger

eightbanger

Rims and tires really set it off. Nice!

21. That is a very nice '55. I'm envious but glad for you.

22. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Sweet ride!!!

23. hoodprop

hoodprop

Looks sweet in white. Badass car

24. AHotRod

AHotRod

Great story Trav and the car is beautiful,..... Spot-On!

25. Butch M

Butch M

way cool.....................

26. roughneck424

roughneck424

27. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Good looking 55!

28. Fast55097

Fast55097
    from S.A. TX

Total props on that nice 55. My 55 was given to my father by my grandfather when Dad was in High School. I share your enthusiasm for getting "Dad's old 55" back on the road. Congrats!

29. Nice job on your dads 55. Maybe my son will get mine going someday.:rolleyes::)

30. Thanks for the compliments guys... Just glad it's back on the road.

Yes, they are retreads... Fronts are actually radials

Yeah, that's kind of the look I was going after. Hopefully the 4 speed will find its way in there sometime over this winter.