Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Out for a burger ! What's your favorite place ! let's see them !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rob-redm, Aug 15, 2008.

1. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I heard about a dish they eat up in Canada with French Fries smothered in gravy and cheese,what's it called? Got the recipe too?

2. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I left Champaign back in 70' the Steak and Shake in Urbana had carhops then and most of the cool rides hung out there,and Dog n Suds on Prospect,after all those years I longed for a Steakburger and the Chili three size stopped at the one in Memphis,TN last year YUKK!! and talk about small!:mad: Have not been back to Champaign since 70' my 45th High School reunion is this week I wanted to drive my '54 Ford back for it (like I had in CHS Auto shop) but finances and health put a stop to it.:(

3. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

Pure ignorance, taco wagons have some of the best food, my local favorite (see my post) has better food than any burger place i have ever been to which is alot

4. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

no way man you gotta go to, MVP"S on 4th street a little past redondo by scotty's liquor (gas station) best in town

5. If on the south side of Chicago, worth a trip to Miner-Dunn off Hwy 41 in Highland, IN. Thin burgers, crispy around the edges, hand-cut fries and great onion-rings -- plenty o' grease, but that's good, right? Olive burgers are great!
    [​IMG]

6. Slowlow

Slowlow

The place to go here in Northeast Tennesse HAS to be Pal's. This place has been here since the early 50's and its awesome!

[​IMG]

There are around 20 of them now, but only in our area.

(( Sorry for the VW content! ))
    haha

7. skyrodder

skyrodder

Ignorance indeed, the best tacos in town

8. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Right. No animal fat??? what's the point:D

It'd be great to take a tour and hit all these.

9. This is 'fries poutine' !!! Very very good, but you can hear your arteries hardening.

10. murfman

murfman

Not a burger joint, but Duke's in Burbank on Harlem just south of 79th was THE place for Italian Beef in the south 'burbs of Chicago, the had a good Burger too, but the Beef is where it was at, along with all the Street Racers. Duke's home of the fastest street cars was the motto on their T shirts. Still there, and the food still rocks, but the ambiance is nothing like the early 80's when I was a regular. The booming stereos took over and we all migrated to Zigs just south of Archer on Harlem. The Frosted Mug is pretty cool, but mostly Street Rods and billett.

11. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Been out of Seattle for long time, but best burgers around were at Kidd Valley (couple of locations). There's also a great little burger joint in Bothell, WA across from a school, just can't recall the name.....juicy burgers...great fries, and milk shakes in stainless steel cups.

'nuff said'

dj

12. CrazyDaddy

CrazyDaddy
    from Austin TX

God bless Hut's.

13. John50

John50

My dad used to take me there. The Tommy"s on Beverly and Rampart is a favorite. Makes me want to get a chili burger and tamale.

In Orange County...Cassidy's and TK Burger in Newport Beach have great burgers. TK Burger has some good scenery.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  14. Yum Little Holland Burger !

15. leocad

leocad
    from LA, CA

Im very surprised none of you in Hollywood area mentioned Jay Burger that use to be on Santa Monica and Virgil, not too far from L.A.C.C.

Best chilliburgers and dogs anywhere, better than Tommy's and Pinks in my opinion. They were open real late on weekends, and it just didnt get any better than their chilli. Was a little shack, you could fit maybe 12 people total at a time.

Was heartbroken one late night when I saw the sign up saying they had to close down:(:(:(

Now Im hooked on Habit.

16. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Been back to Tommy's R-B 2 times since this thread started, Man - It was good, The one in El Monte twice as well. Love that place :D.

17. TV

TV

I'll throw in BABES in Long Beach. on wardlow west of Orange. One of the best, if not the best, burgers around. --TV

18. Abomination

Abomination

Per: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Days

"The Milky Way Drive-In, located on Port Washington Road in Glendale (Milwaukee) was the inspiration for the original Arnold's Drive-In. The Milky Way has since been demolished. The exterior of Arnold's was a 'dressed' area on the Paramount Studios lot, that has since been demolished, very close to the sound stage (stage 19) that the set of the Diner interior, and all other sets were located.
    Not sure that the original drive in was Milky Way or Pig n' Whistle... This is in dispute locally. Someone should verify this information. Also the high school could either have been fashioned after Shorewood High School or Whitefish Bay High School suggesting that it actually was originally designed after a suburban family more evidenced by the all white population of the high school (until a black student is enrolled and befriended by Fonzie and thus the rest of the cast) in a city with a large African American population by the 1950's. Pig n' Whistle was open continuously until the 1990's and was reopened by the Panos family in the late 1990's as Riverbrook maintaining the same menu as the old Pig. Riverbrook was just claimed by the village of Shorewood and bought out to destroy the original (and one of the oldest) custard stands in the nation to build Assisted living facilities. It will be torn down by the end of August 2008. Milky Way was rebuilt as a the second Kopp's Custard Stand in the late 70's or early 80's and is still a custard stand today."

[​IMG]

Here's more about Leon's, and how it relates to all this: http://haverchuk.blogspot.com/2006/06/leons-frozen-custard.html

Attached Files:

19. we have a small chain around here called nifty fifties that tries to do it the old way with a soda fountain which does pretty well and a few old diners.
    but they just opened up one of those Sonics with the rows of car hops, we have not seen many in the northeast yet. the place has been mobbed since they opened. As much as these are imitations of the past, it just proves to me that nostalgia always works and we're not a bunch of old screwheads lost in the fifties just because we value things from the past.

20. slick39

slick39
    from dallas ,ga

thanks for the cool pictures

21. We have a little bar here in Ramona, Ca called "Cheers" (creative huh?) that got voted best burger in San Diego...they are pretty damn good but Hodad's in Ocean Beach still gets my vote with Tommy's in Los Angeles getting my all time favorite vote

22. B.coupe

B.coupe
    from Mile High

Old Skool Burgers!

23. It's Friday ! Parkway Tavern ! for what else a Burger ! Have a great weekend ! Go have a burger !

24. IN N OUT for sure - used to go to the one on E. Foothills in Pasadena (not far from Blair's Speed Shop) regularly when I lived there - now, whenever I'm in SoCal I make sure to stop in for a double double.

Steve

25. Pick Quick in Fife ! Yum !

26. spooler41

spooler41

One of my , burger spots, Red Mill Burgers, they are just south of greenwood in Seattle.
    Now that it's no longer local, for me, my next choise is Frugals, in Port Angeles , Wa.
    it's about 70 miles closer.

>>>>>Jack

27. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

man I hate this thread , I`m home sick and hungry !
    found out that tommy`s will ship a frozen thing of chili in dry ice over night :)
    and found a secret recipes site that claim to have the recipe I`m gonna have to try it.
    or fly out to california for a burger ?

28. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Larry's at the corner of Gaffey and Channel in San Pedro, CA.

29. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS