Register now to get rid of these ads!

Our ugly welded in Nova clip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dubie, Jan 25, 2005.

1. dubie

dubie

Here are the pics of the Nova clip that was welded into our 58 by the previous owner 14 years ago. YUCK!!

Attached Files:

2. dubie

dubie

anothe rpic of the other side. You can see the ugly fish plates on there

Attached Files:

3. monsterflake

monsterflake

damn, how high does that sit?

4. carmerlin

carmerlin
    from west texas

SON OF A BEACH THATS UGLY. It must look like a 4x4. Time to start over. Keith

5. dubie

dubie

There is 12" of difference between the truck frame and the Nova subframe. And the guy drove it like this for 12 years man!! friggin crazy. This is why I am looking for pics on how to do it properly. I am also looking at swapping the chassis out for the spare 72 pickup chassis I have.This is the worst weld in I have ever seen

6. dubie

dubie

oh, here's a pic of the truck before we started tearin it down. He never even had the front wheels centered in the wheel well

Attached Files:

7. KoppaK

KoppaK

Yikes you sure that's welded...nasty

8. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

MAN! That thing is tall. No offence..

Here is a quick shot of the GM clip in my Studebaker. The two frames are welded to each other then I welded boxing plates to go completely over the joint.

There are lots of pros and cons to a subframe job. LOT of stuff to know..Holler if you need any help.

-Abone.

9. monsterflake

monsterflake

ho-lee shit, you didn't mention the GOLD package! now that's some serious bling!

10. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PS. Here is a shot of my beater truck. It was taller than yours when I drug it home. I didn't put it all the way on the ground, cause I still have to haul stuff and bang around junk yards with it.

Pretty solid little truck you have there, BTW.

-Abone.

11. dubie

dubie

HAHAHA bling bling. That gold will be gone, we are having all that crap chromed.
    Damn, that beater is sweeeeeeeeet!! That is the same stance we eant on this 58. How much of a drop was put on it? I have always wanted a shorty 60-66 ford/merc. A buddy's ol man had one that he gave to his brother in law who in turn chopped it in half and made a garbage trailer out of it. That truck was in nice shape to!
    I actually saved that pic og your truck when it was posted in the shop trucks post a couple months ago. Gotta love ol skool!!

12. A clue that I have used on Nova-type subframes: Cut off those nasty 'legs'. Massage the OEM frame to meet the sub fairly well. Box the OEM frame if it is a 'C' section. Cut the sub approximately 1 foot rearward of where it meets the OEM frame. Cut along each corner of the sub and peel like a banana. Slide the OEM frame into the sub. Roll the 'peels' back and seam weld ALL joints. Fishplate if you want, but usually not necessary as you will end up with around three foot of weld on each side, which should be strong enough [​IMG]
    Oh, measure that bad boy eleventy-seven times, and at least twice after you start welding, 'cause sh*t happens.
    Cosmo

13. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

When I subframed the Merc I peeled the Vette frame back like a bannana and laid it over the Merc frame. Once everything was fitted I began welding and folding...here's what it looked like while fitting...

Attached Files:

14. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Here's the finished joint...

Attached Files:

15. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

that is nasty.

I've seen some camaro clips bolted onto the stock frame of 55-57 chev trucks.