Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Our Billetproof FL '09 adventure!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dv8, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Rustyproject

Rustyproject
    from Clinton,Ms

I thought show was great! Ever try to put on an event this big? Try just helping sometime and you would realize how much work Allen,Don Garlits(notice he went the extra mile and fired up the dragster a couple of times),Poor boys(Parking this many people can be a day killer) went to make sure we had a good time. I took the wife and we both thought show was more about fabrication than typical show. We were blown away by some great "thinking" cars. Did anyone see the Diamond(?) tow truck.Shifter by itself should have won an award. We also thought the hydogen converter on a early pickup was really cool. Driver of Hamb drag car(who fired it up for us) had us excited to prep Dodge Bros for Drags. There were alot of drivers. Ran into Leadsled(?) who rode bike there from southern Alabama. Everyone I ran into was having a great time. Wife and I were impressed with vendors-everybody was being cool. Looked like they were doing pretty buisiness. We will be back next year.

2. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

Just got back into VA from Biletproof, the show was kick azz!
    I missed it last year, wasn't going to this year, and I am so glad we made it!
    Hats off to Alan and the Poor Boys and who ever else had a hand in the trophies,
    etc. GREAT show! Over 1,000 photos taken,
    If my ears heard correctly there were 650 cars ... (150) NO WAY!
    KUDDOS to all!

3. str8 6 str8 edge

str8 6 str8 edge
    from Tampa

Great show everyone. Congrats to Poorboys for making this thing happen so smooth. I don't know why anyone would bitch. The show would have still kicked ass at 150 cars. I've driven twice as far for 50 cars and had a blast. The main reason I go to these things is for an excuse to drive my car out of the county. Just the museum is worth a trip. I think it houses 150 cars.

4. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

The show was a blast it was really great to roll down with the club members and friends. It sure would have been more confortable in a new truck with heat A/C (we hit all 4 season the ride down) but then we would have had to figure out where to put the trailers. Oh crap I forgot no has trailers except for the one for Ed and Amber's race car.

Poor Boys did a great job. I heard the registration line was smooth, easy, and ran like a bunch of pros.

Great show guy's. Ya'll need to head up to Dixie fried to enjoy some good music, movies, and Atl August heat.

5. MBL

MBL

Big thanks to the Poor Boys for the great time. No the Tiki Car is not mine. It is Jon's. I just carved the Tiki Trophy for the best wagon. And we are glad to have been able to award it to a great example. Everything about the show is great. The drive is a blast for us. Just wonderful country up there.

There were a bunch of cars out there. I wouldn't doubt it if there were 650 or more. Is everyone going to like every car? No, but many times a show for me is made by just the right "one" car showing up. God knows there were way more than that for me. The drive will always be well worth it for this show these Poor Boys put on. Great Job!
    Tim
    MBL

6. AWESOME SHOW!!!
    Thanks go out to Big Daddy, all the Poor Boys and volunteers who made it happen.
    I will definately DRIVE down for it next year.
    Too bad there can't be some trailer-police on patrol starting Friday to tag all the trailer-queens. I'd rather look at a cool DRIVEN car with a couple pieces of billet or have to walk past a few DRIVEN cars of questionable taste than see people bash a killer show when they can't even drive their "towtruck" 400 miles to a show that denounces trailers just as much as billet.

7. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Just wanna say I had a good time at the show. Jon and Tim it was nice talking to you guys. Jon, congrats on the award!, you deserve it. Thanks for the pics on this thread.

8. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Many thanks to Billetproof, the Poor Boys and Big Daddy. I loved the show last year and this year didn't disappoint! This is the only show I really look forward to, I can't wait until next year.

9. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

Always gotta be one don't you? If you knew the whole story... aww it wouldn't matter you'd be that prick that gets his "spine on line"

10. Why don't you tell us anyway? Let the court of public opinion decide.

11. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Great coverage! Thanks

12. A big hand has to go out to the Poor Boys. Me and the rest of the F-bombs had a great time. We sold some stuff at the swap, bought some stuff and gave some away. We had a box of carbs for 5 dollars each and my favorite was the guy that asked if I had any 81's in there, seriously?
    We don't even own a trailer. See you at Dixie Fried, 400 hundered miles, 75 miles an hour on bias plys, priceless...

13. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

The 1955 nail head thats never been opened lost high gear in the transmission. So I'm suposed to drive it 379 miles without high gear so I don't piss off anyone. Or trailer it and piss eveyone off. Its a 16 foot trailer it wasn't that 30 footer inclosed that had the "easy up" behind it in another space. The sock guys partied on it and that was cool. They are welcome anytime. I do agree I should have just stayed home, I could have saved enough money to fix my transmission and all the hamb wouldn't be hating on me.

14. Movinman

Movinman

All I can say is that all the Saints and Sinners from both Jacksonville and Ft. Lauderdale had a blast! Last year was great, and this year topped it by far. I can't wait to see what Alan and the Poor Boys do for us in 2010. Thanks again guys!

15. 6ck Pony

6ck Pony

Thanks for clearing that up, Tim!

Sorry...just couldn't resist.

I understand how everyone one gets confused. I meet so many people and can only remember their face and car. Then I have to try and remember their name and then their Hamb name....

Look back at some of the stuff you said...

16. dv8

dv8

Smartass! :)

Hows your "bottom end" after that long haul on cast iron seats?

I think you were the only one there with more uncomfortable seats than me!

(I bought cusions after the Sarasota show)......SHHHHH!

17. solid

solid

Great photos, thanks for posting.

18. Finktim

Finktim

Well, I'll speak my piece I guess. I've been "doing" car shows since I was a teenager. Either working at one, selling stuff, or showing a car. I have NEVER had as much enjoyment from going to a car show as I have had the last two years at this show, and thats the God's honest truth. The people are friendly, the atmosphere is friendly, I can go on and on but I won't. I got dorked out of driving my Deuce by way of family hassles involving my son and his dumbshit girlfriend, and having to fool with packing the stuff I brought up to sell. I'm done with that. (God, I hate to admit, I drove my wifes family truckster with 24" rims up there...go ahead and shoot me now..) Next year, driving the green bomb, not selling a damned thing, just hanging out and enjoying the show all day long, taking ten times as many photos, and havin' a bitchin' time.

I think the show is more like a reunion of great people than what I would call a car show. I've been at the Daytona Turkey Run every year, generally peddling my crap and having one of my cars there. You meet a lot of great people, but in the past few years, the crowd has become a large group of non-car people, out "moseying" (is that a word?) with a toothpick in thier mouth, asking a shitload of dumbass questions, just for something to do. They just don't "get it". The Billetproof people do get it. Real people, real cars, real lifestyle. It was obvious that MOST of the cars there were driven, A LOT. Dirty frames, dirty motors, road dings, wear and tear. Talk to the owners, with the greasy hands an dirty fingernails from the last minute thrash, clothes smelling liking exhaust, and with that shit-eatin' grin you can only get from from truly loving cars, and truly loving driving them. It's that simple. I'm looking forward to next year already. :cool:

19. dv8

dv8

Ha! You're dead on about the exhaust smell....Even the clean clothes that I didn't wear had to be washed to get the fumes off of them, and they were packed in my bag the whole time.

20. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Well said Finktim! Lots more real car people than the "my checkbook is bigger than yours" crowd. Glad you enjoyed the show. I'm guessing we'll do it again next year. :rolleyes: Mike

21. Finktim

Finktim

I certainly hope so!

22. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

Great show! Good people! Fantastic Time! Hats off to the Poor Boys great job the show was better and bigger than last year! Was nice to meet a few faces from the HAMB too. Cant wait for next year!

23. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

At one point during the day I was standing in one of the rows of cars talking with an old friend. I looked over 10 or so feet and saw four other rodders from different parts of Florida that I've known for 30+ years swaping stories. You're right, it looks like Billetproof is THE place for both young and old rodders to come together just to enjoy the cars and the car people without all the other hipe.

Lee

24. Lee, that's why we jumped at the chance to host the show... The stories and experiences like yours will out live the few that found a way to have bad experience despite our best efforts to the contrary.

25. JOHN EDGE

JOHN EDGE

Thanks to all who worked on this show- like many on this forum i've
    been to a lot of shows and these past two shows have really been fun and different. Want to thank the group that chose our truck for the
    "best truck" award. We were really not thinking about an award with all of the great trucks in attendence. Our driver" boo's junk yard" 1948
    chevy has been more fun and the award is proudly placed next to our
    nhra wally and other awards. Looking forward to next year. Thanks
    again- john and patty edge

26. Normspeed

Normspeed

Attached Files:

27. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

28. dv8

dv8

Awesome!

It's good to see that it went to a good home!

I knew we made the right choice for that award!

29. Wow, looks like it was a lot of fun. I can't wait for the Antihawk show.

30. MBL

MBL

Norm...seems like Tiki Dude made it into the right hands. Glad you enjoy him! You certainly deserve it for a fine wagon.

I gotta get some ideas for next year's carving.
    Tim
    MBL