Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Other trans behind a T motor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by junkyardjeff, Jan 21, 2014.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have the desire to build T roadster and most likely use a T motor,what I need to know is it possible to use a different trans behind a T motor. I would like to know if its possible to use a 39 trans or other manual trans or would it be best to use a A or B motor.

2. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Yes, it has been done.
    Keep in mind that the T engine & trans run in the same oil.
    When you use a manual trans you have to address a couple of things.
    When you isolate the engine from the trans you have to seal up the back of the pan. There is a part that is available to help acomplish that.
    On a stock T the fly wheel is responsible for circulating the oil. With a manual trans, the fly wheel is no longer running in oil, so an oil pump must be added to the engine.
    All of these things are being done by guys who are running really "Hot" T's

the photo is of the T race car I'm doing

Attached Files:

3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I did not know the motor and trans share the same oil and looks like a A or B motor would be the easiest way to go if I want to go with a 3 speed trans.

4. olskool34

olskool34

I am building a 25 T right now and I opted for the A motor because I can easily adapt a 39 trans to it using the clings adapter plus the A already has a better oiling system and 20 more H.P.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Jeff- I've been dead set on using a more modern trans behind my '28 Chevy engine (I know, COMPLETELY different drivetrain), but the more I think about it (and see how much Clayton and Chris are having with their T's), the idea of using a stock trans with a period aftermarket overdrive/auxiliary trans is becoming more and more appealing :)

Pete- that Sprinter is fantastic!!! Do you have a thread on the build?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If I do build a T I could try the original trans for awhile,I have driven a stock T once years ago but not very far. If a A or B motor is used is there any problem with a fan as I think the water pump on those motors are in the head and up too far for a fan,its been years since I seen a T or A motor so I am not up to speed on how they are built.

7. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Jeff
    The other option for this deal is to put an auxiliary trans behind the stock T trans.
    Back in the day, there were many aftermarket trans's made just for that purpose.
    Warford & Muncie were two of the better ones.
    They do show up at swap meets.

8. Kume

Kume

yes you cant just throw a photo up like that and not elaborate - more photos and info please - that looks stunning - whippet chassis?

9. Kume

Kume

Interestingly John Gerber mounted the chev 4 onto a T pan and transmission.

10. There were some sliding gear transmissions made for "T"s that replaced the planetary. There was the Himico, the Simplex, the Wright, the Seattle Gear, and the Cronk. There may have been others. They were unlike the Muncies, Warfords, Jumbos and others that bolted to the back of the stock trans.
    Finding any of these could prove difficult
    A stock trans with a Ruckstell makes a nice setup. I once rode with Bud Hand, an old "T" guy in a Ruckstell equipped car. He could play that thing like a piano.

11. Kume,

That's been rattling around my head as well... just don't want to deal with the bands :D!

One thought is to use a more modern GM 3 speed that has syncro gears along with a Muncie/Jumbo/Warford.

This is all pie-in-the-sky at the moment, and (hopefully) helpful fodder for the thread :)

12. olskool34

olskool34

If you are using a T shell than yes there will be some clearance issues with the stock A fan. On mine I sectioned the radiator (29 A) to fit the T shell, the upper tank needs to be radiused out for the fan or it will hit the upper tank.

13. I'm dealing with this as well...will be running a cut-down 28-29 radiator and a 26-27 T shell. Looks like I can cut down a stock A fan and re-position the upper tank inlet - or go without a fan and use a V8 water pump & adapter...not sure which I'll end up doing.

14. KStewart

KStewart

I have a Model A transmission that will bolt behind a Model T transmission. Also have a shorten driveshaft for Model A tranny to the T rear end. Have not installed it yet. I think it needs a belly brace to take the weight off the crankshaft.

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Right now this is just the planning stages running around my brain,for years I wanted a full fendered T hotrod powered by a banger to be my daily driver in warm months. I am going to build a model in the way I want it too look and then find the car and all the parts need to make it happen,just wondering if the ideas I have running around in my brain are going to work before spending the money.

16. Squablow

Squablow

We ran A speedsters in the Great Race cross country twice and with an in-driveshaft overdrive and super stripped down bodies they'd do 85 mph.

Built up T motors are cool but you could spend $10K to make 50 hp and go 65 mph. The A is a lot easier/cheaper to soup up. T body on an A chassis/running gear is a good way to go.

17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It will most likely built with stock parts initially,a built motor would come later after its been togather for awhile

18. olskool34

olskool34

Completely agree with this statement.

19. olskool34

olskool34

Gary did not run a fan on his T roadster with an A drivetrain and he told me I'd be fine if the radiator was fresh so I am not running a fan. We'll see.

20. Yeah, I've heard from a few others that did the same thing...I managed to find an old Cyclone V8 water pump adapter and was thinking of running it - still worried about summertime in Texas :)

21. olskool34

olskool34

I think that under normal driving conditions, running no fan will be fine, I just do not know what city driving would do. It wouldn't happen much but might on occasion.

22. Yeah, that's where my worry comes in...we're on the outskirts of Houston (gridlock city) and I'd have to sit through at least six or seven long traffic lights to get out into the country (on a good day). It may still work if I'm careful, we'll see.

23. out plowing

out plowing

Does anyone know of an tech article of Hot T trans conversions?