Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT..ZZ Top

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jmh, Oct 16, 2008.

1. jmh

jmh

Saw ZZ Top last night. They had mike stands that looked like side pipe shields. Also Billy and Dusty had old time driving googles on their hats as part of their outfits. Dusty Hill had on his guitar Golden Duster in the same script as on the Dusters. Played Legs and showed some scenes from the original music video with the Elimnator 34 coupe. Said this was the 25th year since that came out. It was cool as I got to see them with my 22yr old son who also is into cars big time. I was 16 when the Elimnator album came out and he is enjoying it too! Great show and a great time too!! John

2. Man I am gettin' old...

3. Yup, really feeling old now.
    I went to the Afterburner tour with my little brother......jeez, in 1986?
    Time for a nap.

4. SDR Mike

SDR Mike

I went to a concert in about 1973 to see Elvin Bishop (Wammer Jammer) up in Sacramento and the lead in band was ZZ Top. Talk about feeling old.

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

You guys getting old?
    Geez, In 1968, I saw the Cream, Steppenwolf, and the Jefferson Airplane.
    I had my first and last cigarette, trying to look cool, which made me sick and I barfed on my Model A running boards on the Santa Monica Freeway at 65 MPH.

6. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

ZZ Top's opening act "Blackberry Smoke" kicks ass.

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Ditto

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

let the meeting of the old farts club come to order....

9. She don't love me but she loves my automobile!

10. Led Zepplin in 1969 :D
    First ZZ Top concert I saw was in 73. Have seen them about a dozen times since.
    Nothing off topic about ZZ Top, Billy is a bonfide gearhead and traditional rodder! And his book, Rock + Roll Gearhead is a great read!

11. RatRod65GMC

RatRod65GMC

I'm bad......I'm nationwide

12. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I saw 'em at a gas station in Pomona one time.

13. Saw the Stones at the Long Beach Arena in 64, and still remember it! Finally got to see Billy and the boys summer before last at the Pomona Fair. There they had music stands made from chrome headers. They played 2 hours, and we stood the whole time. Great show.

..................every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man..........:D

14. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

beer drinkers and hell raisers. Kinda sounds like hotrodders doesn't it??? lol

15. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

First saw them on S. Padre Island TX 'bout 20 years ago...boy how time passes by. Thought this pic was cool...

Attached Files:

16. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

watched em on cable the other night... Sound was shitty but still cool.... Billys g/f is hot..
    Dave

17. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

oh screw you guys! Having to rub it in to us younger ones that we may never see such acts? Seriously, Led Zepp, that cuts me deep man... cruel

18. 41hemi

41hemi

I saw them here at the Baltimore Civic Center (now the baltimore arena) in 1978. They opened for BOSTON. Apparently at the time boston was a "studio" band as in my opinion that night they sucked doing live music versus how they sound on record. ZZ TOP ruled that night!! They all wore cowboy hats; did not have beards; and they sounded REAL GOOD!!!! A very memerable night for me. BTW, the Eliminator '33 coupe was built right here in Elkridge Maryland by Anderson Industries! Rich Venza here on the hamb can probably fill us in on how the coupe got it's start here on the east coast. A true rock and roll hot rod band.

19. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Denver Pop Festival 1968

Hendrix, Iron Butterfly, Zappa and the original Mothers of Invention, Poco, Jefferson Airplane, CSN&y, Etc Etc.

If I am mistaken on any of those it's because things were a little hazey for about three days.

Old and proud of it!

ZZ Top is a hell of a show.

20. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Ya Boston did everything in the studio overlapping and duping (hope this correct) the music.. That said I still like Bostons music but they never could do a live set ! the top though thats a whole different ball game and to have a real live kick ass band open for boston is just wrong... Please tell us it aint so :) Some day ill tell ya bout the chick i was dating and there was a garage band playing down the street and i said they wont make it (bob segar) And seeing jimi hendrix in ann arbor at a hole in the wall joint in 1970? sumpin .. Glad i quit the smoke ...:)
    Dave

21. Frank

Frank

Members of the band have had several cool hot rods. I've love to see a book that just covers their cars. I read an article years ago somewhere about how Billy used to drive behind the bus in one of his cars and that he had been known to buy car parts while on tour and there would be car parts stashed in the hotel room. My first concert was the Recycler Tour in 89 (I was 16) so I missed out a lot of their early stuff. Every time they come to Dallas they sell out every show they schedule.

22. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I've met them. And Billy too.
    I'm the old guy. :rolleyes:
    Hre made me buy the book.

[​IMG]

23. Saw ZZ top with AC/DC and Sammy Hagar at the Toledo Speedway in 1980...first ac/dc tour after Bon Scott died...I had alot more hair, alot less belly and alot less worries and got "it" alot more...

24. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Ha Ha...Awww, Man! You talk about feelin' OLD...and about a band that just spans generations of rock!!!

Back in 1983 (No WAY that was 25 years ago! Ha Ha!!) I went to Peaches Records & Tapes with my mom. She was a music lover to the core, and she bought new albums all the time (I'm talking RECORD albums here!). We probably went to Peaches and/or Dearborn Music once a week, and Mom would allow my sister and I to get a 45 (record single, not a gun, kids!) if we found one we wanted.

On one trip (in 1983), I grabbed ZZ Top's 45 single "Gimmie All Your Lovin" at Peaches and brought it up to the register. My mom asked to see what I had selected and I was like "You wouldn't know them...they're this killer new band that has videos on MTV with a red hot rod car in it!". Ha Ha...she looked at the record and said "ZZ Top? They're not new, they've been around since the 60s!".

When we got home, she dug into her record collection and came up with three or four albums from ZZ Top that I promptly wore out over the next few years!

Thanks for the music & memories, Mom! :):cool:

It's cool to see that ZZ Top is still at it and still drawing in new fans! THAT'S true staying power!

25. jj mack

jj mack

Where do you buy those hats, beanies what ever you call them?

Need one for halloween!!

26. senior fried

senior fried

They stopped in the Shell station that I was working at in Dallas in the 70's. I got them to sign my Fandango 8 Track tape, I still have it but the 8 track player and the 68 Chevelle are long gone. :D

27. Uh, no it wasn't. Here is the story of the car. It was an original steel car bought in Tucson. quote by Billy "Around 1976... we chased down a primo'33 three-window and set about starting what we wanted... just a hot rod."
    Heavily influenced by Pete Chapouris' the California Kid, Billy had Don Thelan's Buffalo Motor Cars shop build him a chopped 1933 Ford in the early '80s that would soon be known as the Eliminator coupe. Underneath was a straightforward Pete and Jake's chassis with a dropped tube axle and four-bar suspension up front and a Ford nine-inch out back.Thelan chopped the steel three-window body three inches, Steve Davis made the three-piece hood with unique "scooped" side panels, and Kenny Youngblood designed the "ZZ" graphics. Additional body details included the filled rear splash pan with recessed license plate, '39 Ford teardrop taillights, and lowered '34 Ford headlights

28. marc

marc

saw them in wichita a month ago, that was one of yhe best concerts i been to in years, they played for about 2hrs, have to agree on the opening act blackberry smoke is a damm good band,

29. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  30. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Totally correct- but a glass version was built as well for touring and appearances. I remember the coupe when Don Thelen finished it an took it to the L.A. Roadster show- no one knew what it was yet- Then a year later it was everywhere.