Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT Whats this boat?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Acey_Deucey, Oct 16, 2008.

1. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

I figured that since this a site for old cars some of you guys might know your old boats as well and might be able to tell me what this boat is. I recieved this picture on my cell phone today. I dont have a shot of the outboard but i was told it says johnson 30 on it.

Attached Files:

2. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

It really is a BOAT!!

3. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

I figured i should have rephrased the title. A little too late i guess!

4. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

5. Skunk Works

Skunk Works

Hard to tell the make of the boat from the picture, but I can offer some advice. It looks like a late 60's model, judging by the lines and the windshield. The windshield would probably be the hardest part to replace. Other than that, manufacturers were just beginning to understand how to manufacture fiberglass boats in the 60's. Generally, the fiberglass was much thicker than it needed to be, which equated to a heavy boat. Good news is, they ride pretty well and cut through chop better, especially in a deep vee configuration. It's a lot of work, but if you're up to it, you can restore these types of boats pretty easily. More than likely, the "frame" (wood stringers and cross members) and deck are rotten and will need to be replaced. If the fiberglass hull is in decent shape, the price is right and you're not afraid of hard work, I say go for it. I restored a 1968 Steury runabout several years ago. I've got over $10,000 dollars invested and it's a reliable, nice riding 20 foot boat. You couldn't touch a new one for that amount, plus I get compliments EVERYWHERE I take it (marina, gas station, restaurants...) Look for a book called "Runabout Renovation"...it has step by step instructions to restore a boat of this vintage and I referenced it extensively during my renovation.

6. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I don't know what it is either but I think it would look kind of cool behind an old rod or kustom. It could give you a place to sleep or carry all your crap at summer car shows!

7. Skunk Works

Skunk Works

My Steury midway through renovation (this thing was TRASHED when I started):

Attached Files:

8. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

did some research and found out that the engine is a 56 johnson 30 horse. Could the boat be from the 50s????is it worth anything???

9. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Looks to me like a 60's fiberglass boat Possibly Glastron??. Engine was probably from something else!

10. Skunk Works

Skunk Works

Possible late 50's. Honestly, blue book value for these boats is probably less than a couple thousand dollars in good condition, unless it's something super rare. Of course, if it's something YOU like, then what does it matter? My boat is 99% restored and in perfect running condition, but only blue books for about $3000. I've had several offers from old timers, and a few very serious offers for big money, but I've got way too much time invested and it's a fun thing to own, so I turn down all offers. Someone else said it: It looks cool. It also feels pretty good with the wind in your face, standing over the windshield doing about 40 mph on a nice lake. It's also a great conversation starter wherever you go.

11. dynamic88

dynamic88
    from Chicago

To help identify it, check out www.fiberglassics.com

You might recognize it somewhere on there. I also have that "Runabout Renovations" book. Was good. I had a 1960 Aristocraft Funliner 17, with '60 Johnson 75hp. As the other guys have said, not worth much, but hell -- super cool boat, rode great, and got lots of looks and thumbs up.

Gave that Aristocraft to my brother, and now my new runner/project is a twin cockpit wooden boat... 1956 Milocraft (built in Chicago) with the same model 1960 Johnson 75hp outboard. :)

JR

12. dynamic88

dynamic88
    from Chicago

BTW, Skunkworks, your boat is looking great! Very cool.

13. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

That site helped. Its a wacanda boat. anybody heard of em???

14. Skunk Works

Skunk Works

Hey Dynamic88, got any pictures of your Milocraft? Funny, but a good friend of mine's dad gave me what was left of his Milocraft, which was just the mahogany bench seat. I've always wanted to restore an all wood boat, but need to get my hot rod on the road first...

15. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

16. Mopar Mama

Mopar Mama
    from Boise, ID

It's awesome and you should take it home!

17. beernut

beernut
    from solvang

lots of boat-smart peeps on: preformanceboats.com or hotboat.com

18. landpirate

landpirate

may be a Garwood they were one of the first to make fiberglass boats.

19. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Keep away from that boat.

20. Squablow

Squablow

I've been waiting forever to bust out these pictures. I can't figure out a way to integrate it into this thread but I'm posting them anyway.

Attached Files:

21. moontanker

moontanker
    from tn.

thats a 56 or 57 Glastron .I am certain.Well sort of ,its not a real good shot.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  22. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

i have no clue can u get pics of front of boat if you can get it cheap buy it while gas prices are down hey by the way i have mid 7o's boat parts for sale

23. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I agree I think it is a Glastron.You might try looking on the (ACBS)Antique & Classic Boat Society.Get it.It would be cool to pull behind an old truck or wagon.Here's a some pic's of my old boat(P.S.It's for sale)

Attached Files:

24. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

It's kind of funny how people keep putting up guesses after the boat was ID'd as a Wacanda. :) Those late 50s / early 60s fiberglass runabouts are usually really inexpensive to buy if they need work - my neighbor picked up a '59 Luger runabout, complete with a 40hp Scott-Atwater motor and a trailer for $200. A few weeks of work on the boat and a tuneup on the engine, and he was in business. For whatever reason, it seems like a complete boat/motor/trailer setup usually sells for less than the individual pieces.

When I was a kid my dad had a 56 Johnson 30hp motor just like that one in the first picture, it was a very good outboard with a lot of power for its size.

25. Is that your new boat?