Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT/ What's going to happen to the bike scene?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tony Bones, Jul 30, 2004.

1. -So many shops opening up. Seems like they're going to run each other out of business.
    -So many dumb TV shows. Seems like it's all getting diluted.
    -So many $35,000 bikes comprised of $10,000 worth of parts. Seems like people would figure it out

Where are we headed?

2. It will all come to a scary bloody end. Same as everything else. All the posers will find another "cool" flag to fly and all the real bikers will keep on riding.
    Kind of reminds me of the Swing revival thing a few years ago. That got HUGE!!! Every kid on the block was learning to "swing" at their favorite college bar. There were some who listened to Prima before the "scene" and are still playing Prima after...

3. tinyelvis

tinyelvis

Bobbers

Then you'll have West Coast Bobbers, Orange County Bobbers, Detroit Bobber...

English and Italian bikes rule!!

4. all those WIDE 18-20" rear wheels will be in the yard sales for pennies.....Then Bikes wil be built where you dont have to look thru the triple trees to see tha road! [​IMG]
    also we can make big money telling the jerks who bought this shit they're buying nowadays - what to use to un stick their motor when it seizes from sitting around,and not being rode.........

5. There are ALOT of shops now,putting out ALOT of new Choppers.

Does anyone ever see any of them on the road ?

I bet most of them won't see 1000 miles before they get parked for good.

6. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    Bobbers

Then you'll have West Coast Bobbers, Orange County Bobbers, Detroit Bobber...

[/ QUOTE ]

Are those like San Francisco Bobbers and West Hollyweird Bobbers? [​IMG]

The swing dance thing went away fast because the serious swing dancers didn't drink booze because it's too hard (and dangerous) to do the
    "flying" dance moves drunk, so clubs didn't get any profit from them being patrons, so they didn't book swing bands..etc....

7. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Weird...I was just talking about this the other day with my bro-in-law. A couple rich guys he works with at Ford have ordered new choppers and it's becoming a national epidemic...

...guys who sneered at the idea of seein' a chop years ago are now waving their Gold Cards at any shop who will take 'em...so they can join in on the hot new chopper craze!

FAGS! [​IMG]

I'd tell ya what I'm looking for in my next bike, but I don't need any goofball yuppies sneakin' in here, readin' about it then baggin' my Jones before I get my scoot!

Let's just say, it'll be fun to leave these Weekend Yuppie Chopper Goofs smoking in the dust!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

124" monster crate V-twin? Ha! Bring it, Baby!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Swinging's dead????

Oh shit, how are me and the missus going to get laid this weekend?

For the record, I've seen 4 choppers of the hideous overstretched, over tired variety in the last three days on local roads.

Man it's an epidemic.

9. I look at it like this, some gold chainer buys a 50k chunk of billet rides it a few miles, almost get's hit on it/lays it over, get scared and parks it. He finally decides to sell it when the trend is winding down. I step up buy it for pennies on the dollar, take some shit off, put some shit on and a new coat of paint. Viola, chop of my dreams for way less. And since I'm always about 10 years to late on the trens, it works out perfect!

10. luketrash

luketrash

When I was in college from 1995-1999 this town was all about crotch rockets. Now when I'm out riding I see just as many college kids on Harleys and a few on custom choppers as I do on sport bikes. I'm really curious where the hell they are getting all this money at, because I could sure use some..

I live on the highway into town, and there will be minute long deafening roars of a line of Harleys and mild choppers running into town.. To me, it's amazing how some TV shows are able to turn on an economic boom of this scale.

I think most of the choppers are probably not the most reliable things on the road, and a lot of people will have their fun and sell them once they break down. Then 30 years from now, people will be ebaying off this super rare stuff (heh) to people in my generation trying to relive their youth. (I'm only 27 now)

I've gotta admit.. people are sheep, hardcore. I see people riding around on two wheeled iron that costs more than 1/2 of what my house cost. If you can convince a person to spend that much on something you can only ride a few months out of the year (Iowa), then you are a marketing god. Sadly, the chopper thing has been done ad nauseum on the discovery networks, and now they're moving to cars. So if you're in the market to sell a vintage car, I think we're gonna see a price bubble soon. Now is the time for me to get my '54 pretty, so I can sell it in a few years and get my dream car 10 years down the road.. Patience is a virtue far too many people lack.

I'm hoping to sell my motorcycle for more than I paid for it once the demand boils over in a few years for my bike (I don't ride a chopper or harley)

11. Agrv8r

Agrv8r

kinda funny this topic has surfaced. I was at a local "bike night" last night and talked to my buddy about the chopper phenom (there were 2 there last night).
    The choppers are cool...I do like them...but they have become so passe it's not even funny.

Some will start putting out more bobbers and then cafe racer-ish kind of bikes will be the next rage after that.

For the record, the 2 "choppers" from last night were about a year old and each had about 700 miles on them. I call them "pub crawlers". They didn't like that nickname.

12. What a great post! OVERSATURATION!!!! I've been wondering when this would burnout myself.

13. No time to elaborate...but I say trikes are the next big fad.

14. Scott B

Scott B
    from Colorado?

RAT BIKES!

Paint 'em all in primer, with red wheels and the eightball valve stem caps.

It'll be so cool...bro...

15. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

u know this shit is getting out of hand when u see ceo's ridding around on one with stick on maltese cross tats on there neck and talking about how its such a good investment. i pitty the people who fall prey to the dumb trends. but hey maybe next it will be cool to ride a stingray and then the prices on all of those will sky rocket. the other day i was comming home from work i saw a jocky shifted trike chopper with 22 inch car wheels on the back and the rest of it was all "rat bike" of course the guy had the trendy maltise cross tat on his neck like every one else does. its funny that these people think that there being "diffrent" when there just being the media's robot like every one else. i say fuck trends maybe by the time i can afford a cool bike they wont be cool any more then i can get one dirt cheep like every one else has said. and another thing while im ranting. i was at the mall with my girl friend the other day and went into one of them "trendy" stores the ones that sell vondutch shit for 30 bucks a hat and shit. and what is up with all this damn "80's" shit. i mean clothes that madonna made cool 20 years ago is now all a sudden the new shit. and what do i see a old hag that wanted to relive her glory days throwing down damn near 800 bucks for all the "new" 80's threads. to damn retarted just to go to the salvation army and get the same shit that still looks dumb as hell for a qtr of the price. but to each there own i guess.

im going to start a new trend where its cool to where a strap on dildo on top of your head. now if i can just get some one famous to where it first mmmmmmmm [​IMG]

Bryan

16. daign

daign
    from socal

The market will get oversaturated, and all the folks who are the "true chopper" fanatics will post a message on an online message board about how its all changing so quick. Those are the true "chopper riders" like the guys that wore the first Von Dutch Shirts before anyone else did.

RULERS! [​IMG] haha get over it. Who cares.

17. luketrash

luketrash

[ QUOTE ]
    The market will get oversaturated, and all the folks who are the "true chopper" fanatics will post a message on an online message board about how its all changing so quick. Those are the true "chopper riders" like the guys that wore the first Von Dutch Shirts before anyone else did.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kind of what I think. The popularity or unpopularity of motorcycling will never really affect my own ability to throw my leg over the seat and ride my own bike. I typically ride alone, so i'll just have fewer people to do the cool little biker wave to.. Fine by me. The only bad thing is that all these unskilled riders hopping on hard to handle bikes are going to become organ donors, and then Mr. Government will outlaw non-helmet riding, and potentially jack up insurance rates and ruin it THAT way for me...

I thought it was funny to read that insurance data TOTALLY switched from it being young kids that were the most often killed, to all these old people who can't see or react, present day.

18. [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly...kinda seems like people that bitch about topics like this are the ones that were "into it before anyone else"..who cares? at one point everything has been trendy

19. repoguy

repoguy

Screw the scene.

It'll pass, and there will be tons of parts available for practically nothing.

20. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I predict that hardcore chopped unicycles will be the next fad. I'm talking Boss Hoss styled ones with big V8 engines.

Fuck them, I will still rule because I was 'hell on wheel' before they were. I'll wear my underwear on the outside as long as I live. I'll hunt my own ramens to make ramen noodles from scratch, fuck that 4 packs for 59 cents bullshit.

As long as I have a bicycle tire and a stick I can entertain myself.

21. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Charleston has a ton of choppers running around here. More Chops then hotrods by far. Maybe being so close to Daytona, Myrtle Beach and having a big run here helps fuel. I have noticed a change in whats popular down here. The low stretch seems to be overtaking the tall chop here in quantities lately. In fact there are three or four Chops in my neighborhood and only two hotrods (mine and a guy who just got a Willys project).. I have only seen one bobber.

22. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

A few years ago a friend who is a successful business owner came over to show me his Chopper. He and his wife looked like they killed two cows for all the leather clothes they had on.
    They were thrilled about the bike scene and asked if I wanted to go for a ride . I declined but ask if they still had their Motorhome. Yes they said but we haven't used it for awhile ,after we sunk the boat and hassled with the insurance Co. it just didn't seem fun anymore.
    By the way they said bikers are the last independent group that are living their dreams without being forced into a mold like most americans. I asked if you are so independent why do you always wear the same Dew rag and leather britches, with all the tatoos.
    They had no comment but told me if we ever got bored we could buy a bike and have fun like they were. I thanked them for the offer,mopped some ribs in the smoker,opened a ice cool beverage and crawled back in the hot tub.They told stories about her dropping her top and then they rode by a bunch of other bikers topless .This is a woman who normally wouldn't even dress slightly sexy.What happens to these folks.They rode away probably thinking how jealous I was of them.

23. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I love riding my unicycle topless, AND bottomless.

There is nothing that says freedom more than having your nutsack in the wind.

I tell you what, it's like you're one with the soul of Geronimo.

Naked unicycling brings out the Injun in me.

24. repoguy

repoguy

I think I'm getting a chubby! [​IMG]

25. slammed

slammed

Another 'lock and load ' post. If we Could we Would.

26. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

What's going to happen to the bike scene? Same as streetrod scene, except that modern marketing knowledge derived from the streetrod experience has allowed them to leap over the primitive stage of messing with old vehicles and move on directly to marketing heaps of brand-new manufactured billet.

27. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Who cares? Maybe they will put sectioned 32' grill shells on them.

But I do like the Flyrite bikes & they do haul Azz down at the "HAMB Drags"

28. whizzerick

whizzerick

Friends. Unleash your inner Steve McQueen and hunt down that original, unmolested rarity. Any brand. Any vintage.
    Steve McQueen would have boned Paul Jr. up the *** and force Sr. to watch... [​IMG]

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

[ QUOTE ]

For the record, the 2 "choppers" from last night were about a year old and each had about 700 miles on them. I call them "pub crawlers". They didn't like that nickname.

[/ QUOTE ]

Around here "pub crawlers" are a whole different thing. It's the bike you build to ride from bar to bar. Probably a hundred or so miles in a night. My last one was an old Ducati 900SD. I'm thinking I need another old bevel drive to cruise around on. I can't stomach a Harley right now because of all the wanna-be-yuppie-investment-bikers. I'm looking for an old Moto Guzzi as well....

30. [ QUOTE ]
    Maybe they will put sectioned 32' grill shells on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at the bottom of the downtube... [​IMG]
    [image][​IMG][/image]