Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT -Villages in Florida

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cabriolethiboy, Nov 21, 2008.

1. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Does anyone here live in the Villages in Florida? I stopped in there to visit a couple of days ago. I kind of liked it, but how would you build a car? Rent a building in town? Let me know your opinion.

2. igorw

igorw

I don't live in the Villages but my experience is you'll be better off finding a house with a garage and NO neighborhood association. Shop space down here is priced by the square foot and the cheapest I found was over $200 a month. A lot of associations have people monitoring everything you do and every odd noise coming from your garage, they're fondly called neighbor Nazis.

3. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Isn't that a retirement community up around Gainesville? I don't know how you could work on anything there. As mentioned, be very careful about neighborhoods in Florida with those stupid associations or deed restrictions. Mike

4. 31modelo

31modelo

You need to find neighborhoods that have 4x4's parked on the front lawn. Those are where you'll be OK to work on your car at your house. I don't believe The Villages has many front law driveways. Florida is heavens waiting room and they want peace while they wait.

5. James427

James427
    BANNED

I'm facing the same thing as I'm moving to Tampa Florida in a few weeks. I found a house with a 4 car garage and hopefully the neighbors will be somewhat cool. If not, I'll study the association rules very carefully and learn where the grey areas are. If that does not work, I'll rent space somewhere.

6. cooljunk

cooljunk

I have stayed there three winters. True they frown on noise and working on cars, but they have a large car club. everything from Rolls to vette to street rod, not so much traditional stuff. Big cruise nite once a month and a few miles from Garlet's museum (I went to Billetproof)

7. rockabillybus

rockabillybus

I have to agree with the previous posts. Don't move to where there is a H.O.A. I live west of town on 1.25 acres and I do what I want and cut my grass when i get the time without any bitching from anybody. Condo commandos are everywhere, even in housing developments. Stay clear of those and you should be fine. We had an incident near town where the City fined a guy because his truck was so big it blocked part of the sidewalk. It was one of those topkick fords and the guy refused to park it anywhere else for awhile but at $200.00 day he finally caved in.

8. Finktim

Finktim

My Uncle lives there, and as big of a car nut as he is, he's been reduced to a PT Cruiser. There's no way they are going to let you have a grease spotted driveway or anything in your driveway! It's like a beehive for seniors, and it's as clean kept as Disney World! I like to visit, but I could never live there! (It isn't cheap either, and most of it is that "zero lot line" shit anyways. Buy a cheap small house with a BIG garage behind it and find true happiness! :D

9. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Make sure you bring some herpes repellent, and try to keep the party in your pants no matter how alluring the octogenarians appear to be.

10. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

What part of florida? I'm originally from homestead. I know they show TV ads for the villages in homestead out here in cali. If its the same place, I would never live there. Compared to the rest of the US I think that area is way over priced. I dont care how nice it may look your shit will get stolen. The hood is right around the corner and you will have to own a gun down there. I live in cali now and still visit homestead often. Cali prices are now cheaper than south florida. Plus depending on what you do theres not alot of jobs around there. My family owns banner auto and cycle and its one of the few shops that can stay above water down there. South florida use to be about farming, now its about over inflated houses and all of the jobs have been gone for along time. Dont get me wrong I love homestead but I would look into older houses out in the redlands.

11. Are you speaking from first hand experience, Nads???

I have heard that the seniors do get a little horny up there. I'm gonna throw up now.

12. oldsman71

oldsman71

13. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

I think I will stay in Indiana, I have to have a big shop. Winter is the time to build. I was just curious anyway. Thanks everyone.

14. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

The first I heard of that was at the NSRA '07 SE Nats. Heard alot since, gotta laugh about the picture of old folks screwin around! :eek: Nice place if you're into custom golf carts!!:D
    There is a free sales type CD available about the Villages, check out this site.
    http://www.thevillages.com/

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008