Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical OT: Tools; Need Air Compressor Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crazycasey, Jan 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey fellas (and ladies),

Anybody out there know their way around air compressors? Particularly around pressure switches?

I'm finally upgrading (I hope) my old portable Craftsman with an equally old stationary Charge Air Pro unit made by Ingersoll-Rand (Model# 5E6VA; 5hp, SS, 60ga, 240v, 1ph). The compressor is in beautiful shape, but the kid I bought it from had rigged the damn thing every which way, namely, eliminating the unloader valve in an attempt to fix a leaking pressure switch, AND he threw those parts away!

I have a comically large Penn Controls pressure switch and unloader that has the correct cut in/out settings, but I have a question about it's rating. The Penn Controls switch is rated at 3hp @ 240v-1ph, or 5hp @ 240v-3ph. There is NOT an amperage rating. My compressor is 5hp @ 240v-1ph, and the motor is rated at 15A. I imagine a 3hp electric motor of the same vintage as this controller pulling at least 15A, but I'm no electrician.

Can I use this Penn Controll switch on my compressor? I already have it, plus I'm having a hard time swallowing $70-some odd dollars for a Chinese made, mostly plastic replacement for the IR switch, but I also don't want to burn up my motor...or my garage.

Thoughts/help!?

Thanks,
    Casey

IMG_2632.JPG

2. BJR

BJR

You will not burn up your motor if the switch is rated too low. You will just burn up the switch. I would try it, what have you got to loose? Run it and see if the switch gets hot, if hot, get one rated higher.

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

try garagejournal.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.