Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT - TLC comes after the HAMB

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

We've been approached by TLC and asked if we would like to be apart of their new "Rides" show next season. Here is my response:

"I appreciate the offer and think the show is going great places, but to be honest with you I don't think the HAMB or my personal daily activities would be good content for a family oriented network. We don't build theme cars and we don't participate in highly commercial events or promotions. Put shortly and please excuse me for my language, but we are fucking hoodlums - not clean room marketers. I've enclosed the last available copy of our 2004 calendar in hopes that you see this note as an honored declination and not an aggressive retort."

I'm not sure how they found out about us or if the offer was even real, but I thought I would inform the masses as you guys are the folks that earned the offer. I hope my reply was satisfactory... I would really actually love to do it if I had FINAL edit decisions (Yeah, right!), but after all the shit I've talked about JJ, I didn't think it was possible...

2. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn, I was hoping they'd air us screaming at each other and meeting impossible deadlines for our posts.... [​IMG]

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That is some funny shit. I for one would have liked to see how they were gonna make this group family friendly. That would have been worth the price of admission. Hell you should have sent Germ as the official represenative. At least it would have been funny.

4. Did you see Old School?

I can totally see the Vince Vaughn character watching that episode of Rides yelling "earmuffs!" to his kid...

Perfect reponse.

Stacey

5. DrJ

DrJ

WTF!!!!
    Ryan have you gone mad?
    We ARE family friendly!

Hatfield Family, McCoy Family, Dalton Family, Addams Family, Osbourne Family, Munster's Family, Manson Family... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. well stated Ryan..

7. quickrod

quickrod

zman said it,send germ as host,that woulda brought better ratings than the two dicks on discovery channel....good call ryan,don't think the general public would understand anyhow......hell,i'm still tryin to figure it out [​IMG]

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

Interesting........

9. Django

Django
    from Chicago

It was inevitable that someone come knocking at the door. Good decision. The world is not ready for flat black soccer mom minivans with HAMB stickers over the West Coast Choppers sticker in the back window. [​IMG] I hope they treat that calendar with the respect it deserves! [​IMG]

10. It would be kinda cool to air HAMB. but your right on the editing selection....

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

The amount of non-traditional hot rod viewers that would invade here would be astronomical. Good call Ryan.

12. ray

ray
    from colorado

right choice ryan. ain't none of us with brains trying to be celebrities. but then, i don't tell "everybody" about the hamb, only those that will get it.

oh, and glad to see you are talking about the tv TLC, i thought maybe "left eye" Lopez was stalking you or something! [​IMG]

13. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

haha....I told Monster Garage what you told TLC....FIRST!
    And I didn't even give them a parting gift.....Ryan,your skateboard can't possibly have too much dust on it,judging by your clever bon mot to TLC.....

14. NealinCA

NealinCA

[ QUOTE ]
    The amount of non-traditional hot rod viewers that would invade here would be astronomical. Good call Ryan.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. Can you imagine?

Neal

15. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

You mean I've missed my chance to type on T.V.?

16. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Good call Ryan. I could see that being the begining of the end for the HAMB. Kind of like the guy who turns his hobby into a business and finds out that, now it's is no longer fun, just work.

17. shoebox72

shoebox72

Now if it were to be a show about real world dysfunctional hot rod & custom builders thats different.

TLC would never portray the HAMB for what we really are. So much for "life unscripted"

Good call Ryan.

Billy

18. skipstitch

skipstitch

WHAT!!!! SAY IT ISN'T SOOOOO!!! YOU SAID NO!?! Now I'll never be able to go the Gadzook's store in the mall and buy my West Coast Von Choppers HAMB t-shirt!!! ARGH! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. That was a great, well thought out response. Thats why you get the big bucks !!

20. I believe Ryan's response, while being blunt and to the point, was very tactful and appreciative. That's a tough combination. I am impressed.

I like our HAMB just the way it is. Pimping it to the masses would be disastrous. I have a lot of respect for Ryan for not "selling out".

Thanks, JH

21. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good point, we need to have new HAMB t-shirts again, I only have two and they are getting threadbare.

22. jdubbya

jdubbya

I'm with ya Ryan, the only way that I would allow them to do a show about the HAMB, is if Germ could host it, UNEDITED! [​IMG]

23. On one hand it would be cool if some of our cars could be on TV... but on the other hand... the fucking mass hysteria that would follow with every Tom Dick and Laquisha wanting to be a "RAT RODDER" would buckle us...

So, I think you handled it well... ya fucking hoodlum. [​IMG]
    Sam.

24. I think it's too late for not wanting any non-trad and goldchainers to join the HAMB, Well the population here has almost doubles in a year, probably from the R&C article and other HAMBERS mentioning the site.
    On another note, I think we have enough going on between all of us to do a HAMB Televsion Channel, not just a cameo on some episode

25. repoguy

repoguy

Hoodlums?

Give me a break. [​IMG]

26. CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

[ QUOTE ]

I like our HAMB just the way it is. Pimping it to the masses would be disastrous. I have a lot of respect for Ryan for not "selling out".

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen.

27. raven

raven

Thanks Ryan for the well scripted and polite refusal to sell this thing out.
    Well done.
    r

28. Good call...Just think of the huge qauntities of chuckle-heads that woulda jumped in here! [​IMG]

29. Good job!

The HAMB would indeed get overwhelmed by cooks!

30. Yeah fuck them guys [​IMG]....the nerve of them wanting us to be part of ANOTHER show. Way to go Ryan, we need to hold out for "HAMB TV" [​IMG]