Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT The So Cal guitar? Shameless logo promotion!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pigpen, Dec 6, 2005.

1. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

Now here's something I'm just chomping at the bit to get for Christmas! $600.00 and a few lessons; hmmmmmm. :rolleyes:

pigpen

[​IMG]

"Now it's guitars, Cadillacs, and hillbilly music..." (Dwight Yokum)

2. muffman58

muffman58

That`s pretty cool! I guess everone is getting in on the whole THEME thing!

3. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Only traditional guitars on a board for traditional Hot Rods and Customs please.The Flathead powered all steel Deuce Roadster when it comes to guitars,the Gretsch 6120...

[​IMG]

Okay,you certainly won't get one for 600 bucks...

4. bluebrian

bluebrian
    from dallas

Thats a dumbed down strat with a paint job. 600 bucks is alot. You dont get much for what you pay with that guitar.

Now the gretsch. I love me some gretsches.

5. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

$600 and you only get ONE neck?
    what a ripoff!

Attached Files:

• 35.jpg
      35.jpg
      File size:
      50 KB
      Views:
  6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

The Gretsch Brian Setzer 'Hot Rod' is pretty bad ass. And only atouch over $4,000.

7. Hyfire

Hyfire

Goes to show that Socal speedshop can stick a label on anything. Next they will have a flat black one with a really large SHINE sticker on it...

Hyfire

8. True

True

I agree, the socal is kitsch...get a real fender, and stripe the hell out of it.
    True

Attached Files:

• tele.jpg
      tele.jpg
      File size:
      26.5 KB
      Views:
  9. elcornus

elcornus

Yeah, but can you play "smoke on the water" with it? Or how about "Iron man",
    "Stairway to heaven" or "day tripper"? I can:p :D

10. old beet

old beet

My So Cal catalog says $999.99..........WTF?..............OLDBEET

11. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I'm pretty sure they already do. They have an engine turned one too I think.

Is that your 6120?

I play Epiphone sorento reissues (trans orange and a gold metalflake) both with TV Jones pickups. I love them.

You can get the Setzer Hot Rod Gretsch for about half that.

12. stratocaster

stratocaster

First Strat I've seen that's ugly.One Humbuck.Where the hell is the whammy bar? Cool one to smash or light on fire though.So What has a real dick in the marketing dept. -Strat.

13. Aushotrods

Aushotrods

It looks pretty cool but nooo wayy would i buy that! Is it 'spose to be a surfy guitar with the single hb?
    I've seen setzer hot rods sell on ebay for under 2k. I play an epiphone "supernova" (metallic light blue 335 with 2 humbuckers) and it plays and sounds beautiful. Aint no gretsch though ;)

14. krooser

krooser

These are what I like...I've got two Bluesmasters and one Bluescaster...from Strings and Things in Memphis.....

Attached Files:

15. 38pickup

38pickup

I personally wouldnt buy the socal axe. I am drooling over that Gretsch 6120. I have always wanted a gretsch. yorgatron that a danelectro? I play a hotroded newer tele or a hotroded les paul with a set of P90s in it. Add some tape echo and you have a great sound.

16. G Griffin

G Griffin

Fuck that shit...
    Here's the one.
    [​IMG]

G.

17. G Griffin

G Griffin

this is the two...
    [​IMG]

G.

18. True

True

Those are bad ass Griffin...but they look like catalog pics. Are they your rigs???

And Elcorn.....You, play Smoke on the Water???? I don't think you can even lift an axe right now, let alone Heavy Metal.

True

(68 Gibson 335...dead stock)

19. G Griffin

G Griffin

20. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

The so-cal seems a lil weird to me. I guess I wouldn't choose an aftermarket company logo on my guitar just to let everybody know I'm into Hot Rods.
    If i did I would just put a sticker on it or my amp.
    I'm all about Low Buck cars and cheap ass guitars. Here's my bitch $120 on musicians friend.
    I Got some TIESCOS too.

Attached Files:

21. KATFISH

KATFISH

Yea,
    Listen to Tom Russell sing

"Smashing a perfectly good guitar"

Use this one

22. All guitars are beautiful.... A kind of a concidence, I just received this note from my son. He's a great kid and loves to play his guitars. He's been building a Telecaster over the past few months, He writes,

My Telecaster Project;
    Assembled the Telecaster. I shielded the pickup cavities and pickguard then soldered everything up & screwed ‘er together. I got exited about finishing & forgot to take pictures of the guts, but hey – you’ve seen the inside of one guit, you’ve seen ‘em all…
    Body, neck and bridge are all from a 2005 American Telecaster Deluxe. Control plate, knobs, and pickguard are after-market. The pickguard is about the fourth one since I settled on the look I wanted. Solid black was too boring, and besides, the Strat has a solid black pg. White Pearloid was too country. Cream Pearloid (currently at auction on eBay) was very nice, but still too country & didn’t contrast nice with the sunburst. So Black Pearloid it is. Has a traditional look, but with an edge so I won’t feel goofy when I’m playing Joe Walsh tunes. Pickups are Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials that some fool let go for a song on eBay.
    Final tally for this one is $733. That’s around $500 less than I would have paid at a store for a stock Tele, $700 to $800 less for a custom axe like this one. Everything on it is brand-new – even the screws. Tomorrow it gets strings & the neighbors get pissed.
    Happy Birthday to me!

23. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS
    from TUCSON

weeeellll everyone else is shamelessly posting pics of their guitars, why shoul i be any different...lol:D

Attached Files:

24. epinut

epinut

Ok, I might aswell too... My -64 Coronet & -65 Minuteman amp.

Attached Files:

25. Zaemo

Zaemo
    BANNED
    from Atlanta

Yeah,
    I don't dig it either. It's another guitar made to hang on an executives' wall. Kinda like a trailer queen of guitars. Anyone see the Fender 32 dash inserts? I had that idea, but it wouldn't have said Fender on it, of course. Beat me to it.
    I'll be designing and building some guitars next year maybe you all will dig.

GRSMYNK.....how do you get your gear to stick to the wall.....hows it sound like that? :)

Z

26. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Here's a few of my fleet, minus the gold flake sorrento. I painted the two hairband guitars and built the copper one.

[​IMG]

27. MBL

MBL

Attached Files:

28. soontobe

soontobe
    from MD

That's a beautiful guitar man. Nice, REAL NICE. Hows the action on that thing ?

29. sgary

sgary

I think I'm going to blow the dust off my gear and tickle my ear drums.Thanx for the pix and insperation. I haven't played my guitars for a year.That is the longest I've gone since I started playing 40 years ago.I had a Gretche Country Club in the 70's, Cadillac green,I sold it because it wasn't cool at the time.I've got a 61 SG custom,jazz bass,wurlitzer electric piano,rhodes piano and lots of amps and oddball guitars.

30. Who can afford a White Falcon? Now Tiesco's are definitely cool....