Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT-Schwinn StingRays

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JamesG, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wvenfield

wvenfield

I had one of those as a kid. I bought it off the kid across the street when they got a 10 speed. $5.00

I was going down a hill in the woods and hit a tree. It snapped right in half.

2. George G

George G

Here is a canadian CCM Mustang it got this summer.

Attached Files:

3. George G

George G

[​IMG]

Back when I was a kid I found an old wooden steering wheel from a 1920's car. I cleaned it up, varnished it, got a V8 horn button from a '38 ford car. Dad welded up a bracket for me and I put it on my bike. Cool (or so I thought)

4. Well, I just got myself into another Christmas project.

This will be my baby girls gift from Santa.

It's a 1950's AMF Rocket Trike. Does anyone know anything about these?

BTW, it will be a light pastel pink and white.

How cool would that little trike be if those red lenses lite up with light. Your baby girl would be the shizznit of the block;)

5. Wow! That's a real early one! Probably around 1966/67

6. JamesG

JamesG

Yea, I thought about that!

7. justmetony

justmetony

Ok, those kids in the whamo video ad would scare the hell out of parents today. no helmets, or pads and some were bare footed too. It is so amazing that any of us that are say in our 40's are still alive... I broke my fare share of schwinns back then too.

8. Torque-Tube

Torque-Tube

Not a StingRay, but a '57 Schwinn Corvette. It's been hanging in my barn since it was last ridden around 1960 still has original tires... would probably clean up pretty good.

(groovin on my scraper bike!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQGLNPJ9VCE

Attached Files:

• SC1.jpg
      SC1.jpg
      File size:
      135.5 KB
      Views:
  9. THE SPEED ADDICT

THE SPEED ADDICT

I have two Stingrays and the book.

$65.00+ for the book! I'll let mine go for $50. and I'll pay for the shipping! I'll keep the bike though!

Excellent thread!

[​IMG]

:D

10. JamesG

JamesG

Well, I decided on the colors.

This is what it will be painted like.

[​IMG]

11. Grilleguy

Grilleguy

My name (Dan Baker) is in the preface of the Liz Fried book, I sent in a few pics when it was getting put together, but none were nice enough to make the final cut.

12. JamesG

JamesG

13. GSX-PKV

GSX-PKV

My old Schwinn Truck. I used to deliver groceries for my Dad's store on this. It rides nice and is a great beach bike!

Attached Files:

14. JamesG

JamesG

Nice bike. That's old.

And you have a Grand National too................wanna sell the GN?:D

15. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

Nice bikes. My dad is about 80% done with his Orange Krate resto. I'm going to try and have my Pea Picker done by the spring, it should be a cool dragstrip cruiser.

16. Never2low

Never2low

Some of mine. Couple '98 repops(Apple and Orange) and a '70 Pea Picker. I've even got an '05 Pea Picker still in the box, and it's for sale, so is the repop Orange Krate, if anyone's intrested.:cool:

Attached Files:

17. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

I have a 69 apple krate, a repop orange krate and several raleigh choppers

This is the pride of the fleet,69 all original was only riden for three months.
    its an all original everything never been apart, first gen, first color............

Attached Files:

18. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

Man has this thread taken me down memory lane! We couldn't afford the Stingrays and Apple Crafts so we'd make our own version by adapting 10-speed parts to our bikes (lacing 10-Speed hub/Derailer assemblies to our 20" rims, etc). I never knew they sold a wheelie Bar! Interesting!

19. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I still have my '70 Lemon Peeler (it's down in my mom's basement , lol) . Sorry , no pic :( . It'll someday be restored , so my daughter can re-live my past - she's only 6 mos. old , so I've got a while ;) . This winter I'm restoring an old Murray V-Front pedal car for her , one exactly like I rode when I was a kid . I'd been searching for one to restore for a while , and found it while wandering around the Hershey swap meet . Now that I have a kid , I have a reason to re-do one . Once it's done , I'm starting on the Schwinn ! That's been back-burnered for way too long .

Thanks for the pics everyone - brings back great memories !

20. wvenfield

wvenfield

[​IMG]

That's just not right. A guy shouldn't be allowed to post a pic like that. Thanks for making the rest of us feel inadequate.

21. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

I know brass handles on a garage door.............................

22. JamesG

JamesG

Does anyone know who owns all of these?

23. Finktim

Finktim

A gaggle of Stingrays AND the Dodge Deora. Sonofabitch, I must be livin' wrong! LOL. Man, that is just too kool!

24. Finktim

Finktim

Holy crap!!! This made my day!! I thought I was the only kid on the planet who owned this bike! My folks couldn't afford the Schwinn Krate that I wanted so bad, so they got me the Gremlin! Mine was that bright Kandy Lime color too! I literally wore that thing completely out. The front tire was so worn on the edges it looked like a whitewall! I also did my first "flyin' double nutcracker" on that bike. I had never had front brakes, and I clamped down on them sending me off the seat and my nuts directly into that gooseneck as I continued over the handlebars! Aaaah, the memories....:eek: I have NEVER seen this bike since I was a kid, in all the collections of bikes I've been around. I truly believe there isn't one left on the planet! I've got a krate now, but it would be kool to have one of these again for childhood memories sake! Thanks again for posting this!

25. Finktim

Finktim

My son decided to build a kustom bike a few years back. We started with an original Schwinn Krate frame, which was shot in kandy purple with some large flake blown on top of it. He wanted those damned 144 spoked rims much to my dismay, what a pain in the ass they are. Added some super apes, lowrider chopper forks, short pedal shafts with WCC pedals, a goof velour seat with a twisted sissy and a OS slick and it's a blast to ride!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. Those front tires must have been made of some space age polymer, I replaced the rear at least rear 3 times, but the 16" front one never even had the tube replaced, and I rode other kids on the handlbars and jumped off ramps. There was threads showing white stripes where the white letters used to be and it never popped. What finally did it in is one of those top bars welds broke came off the head tube and made it wobbly... By that time I was built myself a "motocross" bike out of a dumpster-dived Huffy frame, knobbies F and R, a Schwinn Pixie front sprocket and a 10 speed seat... I could climb the hills at the campground off Grange-Hall Rd. in Holly Hills, MI like nobody's business.

27. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Wow whats up with the dodge truck thing? Some one fill me in on it?

28. Search DEORA.....

29. mx6262

mx6262

I had the Lemon Peeler....I think about that bike almost every day. The longest ride was to my piano teacher almost 3 blocks away, I felt like I was miles from home. I still remember looking at the bike when I rode it. Front tire, gear shifter strimmers on the grips, even looked back at the slick rear tire and can still see the dirt it would pick up off the road.

I wish......:rolleyes:

It seamed easy then....

30. Finktim

Finktim

Yes!! I remember that front tire having little rubberized strings hanging off the sides of it! LOL! That is too damned funny! The tire seemed to be white underneath of the black, and it literally turned into a whitewall and the white lettering disappeared! Thanks again for posting that pic! Where did you find that anyways?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.