Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects OT: Ratrod reckoning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ELpolacko, May 23, 2012.

1. Joe Jackman

Joe Jackman
    from SoCal

underneath your frame table there are a series of round holes with rectangular cutouts on each side of the round holes. what are those for and why are they cut with that style?

2. Yes, I use Alibre. Been using their software since 2007 and am self taught after going through the online tutorials. Pretty frustrating to get my head around how they want you to design and build a project.

They have a new version out that is much more like Solidworks and does kinematics much better. I might just have to pony up soon.

Time mostly. I would love to TIG everything in sight. But budget and speed compete on projects like this. So something I can tack together and wrestle around on my little bench gets TIGed because of aesthetics and convenience and the rest gets the "glue gun"

Quite!

Tell you what, I have an acupuncture appointment. When I get back I will load up a 3D PDF everyone can download and you can rotate and inspect every element of the chassis.

3. Leave it in the past. Dont let the previous builders work see the light of day after this beautiful transformation we have to see now.

4. I'm sure he wants to avoid the embarrassment of divulging that info. It's really no one's business.

5. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

Wow, this is some amazing stuff.

I hope Mister Funk makes this worth your while. You are going above and beyond.

On the other hand, you're like his guardian angel right now. That brings its own reward, right?

6. An amazing rebuild, I don't think I need to tell ELP this but everyonr needs to remember to document your repairs. If something you did not touch should fail and cause an accident or worse, you could be dragged into a nightmare of a lawsuit. Just a caution to you. The original hack job is why we have so many laws, rules, regulations, that almost killed hotrodding in the past.

Elp you are a true craftsman.

7. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Damn nice fab work! Like always, outstanding work!

8. madmike8

madmike8
    from Tennessee

Great Work, and awesome craftsmanship! I'm enjoying this thread.

9. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'm sure he is reserving that not only to save embarassment on the part of the owner, but also as safety precaution for everuone else involved... I know I spun into a level of pissed off here to fore unknown to the common man when he made the number known to me... Blood pressure issues for most the day.

11. Beau

Beau

Indeed. The correct way, according to this site, would have been to rebuild it in a period correct manner.

There's plenty of this fancy stuff on the RR forums and Mini truck forums.

It looks great! The work is beautiful! Just no reason to be here on the HAMB. (Am I wrong? Plenty of others get kicked off for this same stuff?)

12. Black Primer

Black Primer

What a marvel of "engineering"....I hope the owner takes it back to the original hacker and shows him the rebuild.

13. Yes, you are wrong. I am not a fan of overly slammed Tudors. But that is not what the thread is about. Steve is showing polar opposites as far as fabrication. And doing society a favor in the long run.

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

This from the guy that lists a '73 Mini in his profile.

HEY GET THE OFF TOPIC CAR OFF OF YOUR PROFILE...

:p

15. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

I know that Steve is busy. The holes are used for chains. Chain passes through the round part of the hole and the link is held in place by the rectangular cutout. That way you can push and pull on frames with come-alongs, hydraulic jacks, etc. to straighten out a bent frame. Standard heavy industrial practice. When you make your own table, like Steve did, you can add these little "helpers" to do just about anything you need to to fix, repair, fabricate, etc. Study his pictures of all of the fixtures, hold downs, supports, etc. he's fabricated to help in fabrication. Great lessons in "tools" as well as fabrication.

16. Joe Jackman

Joe Jackman
    from SoCal

That would be my best guess for this mess.

17. Joe Jackman

Joe Jackman
    from SoCal

thank you! i'll keep studying the pics. i like how Steve threaded holes in the table and how he uses strap clamps instead of some sort of dedicated fixturing.

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

What??!! No bullet holes??!!:D

19. Marty S1

Marty S1

El P, looking great! Now, scuse' me while I go ice my clam....:p

20. And I always assumed that as long as you don't post your OT car on a thread it was no harm no foul. You've got to admit that the style of this car is a bit OT, as nice as the craftsmanship is. Lots to be learned by this thread, but I've seen threads like this get killed also. Time to go work on one of my OT cars. :p:D

21. 62dragfalcon

62dragfalcon
    from Tucson AZ.

The de-ratrodification of this car is the is the automotive equivalent to an exorcism! Thanks for sharing this ElP, learing a-lot from your build, inspired much by your skill!:cool:

22. Both of you guys combined are still junior to my time here on the HAMB. If anyone knows what is or is not topical, I would. I will take your statements with the authority they carry and disregard them as chatter.

I have spent more time answering questions about off topic items that crop up here regularly, I handle it in stride. Unlike yourselves who have decided to play the role of the forum thug, something far outside your roll as a forum member. If the powers that be decide that what I have posted is not topical enough for them then they may make the decision to do what is best for this post. Until then, kindly piss up a rope.

Ahem, anyway.

As stated before, if you would like to see this in 3D on your own screen CLICK THIS LINK and click FILE under the header, select download. It will open up as a PDF if you have Adobe PDF reader installed. Click the image anywhere and it will render into a 3D image that you can roll around, rotate, zoom and highlight items at your own discretion.

23. rld14

rld14

ELP,

Gotta hand it to ya for how you're handling some of these comments. I'm REALLY digging this thread and that chassis that you're building... Wow. Just fucking wow. It's beautiful. Can't wait for the next installment!

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Still trying to figure out where taking a death trap rat and converting it to a working, functioning, driving hot rod would be O/T... The mind IS boggling.

25. Exactly!!!!! I have sat here for 10 minutes trying to figure out what to say in my post, and Chip has nailed it perfectly. Exactly what I was thinking, but way nicer than what was on my mind.

Well put, sir!

26. Some guys just love to bitch.

27. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That fugger's cool. Can't wait to see it done. Just one question....about how much time do you have in it and aprox how much more to a driveable state? Just curious.

28. 117harv

117harv

I have a bitch, your avatar needs to be bigger:D

What can i say that hasn't been said already? Stellar craftsmanship, metal fab at it's best....BIG thanks for your time posting:)

29. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Nice Save Steve. As always, Killer engineering, fabrication, welding, etc.....

The original work looks like someone got a Welder for Christmas.

VR&C.

30. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

ELpolacko great work as always. I would like to personally thank you for all the help and time you lend here on the hamb for everyone. So keep posting the pics of your awesome work.