Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects OT: Ratrod reckoning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ELpolacko, May 23, 2012.

1. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

lol

2. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Less talk more Pictures!

3. a-f**kin-men!

4. alchemy

alchemy

Steve, please show us how the rear suspension works. How does that short arc of the angled top bars agree with the longer arc of the lower pars? Is it to keep a certain angle on the pinion, or is it an "allowable compromise" to fit 10 lbs into a 5 lb tote?

5. Thanks for posting this Thread. At our annual Groundhog Gala carshow, "Best Engineered" is my trophy catagory. Actually as of late, here in central F-L-A, we(The Misfires) have noticed the bar being raised. Two years ago, I gave it to, what appeared at first glance, to be a rusty Model A truck. Upon closer inspection, I saw tons of hard work and race car quality fabrication. Really needed to be finished and painted. :cool: Not sure how it went down the road, but at least it was built with safety in mind.
    JT

6. pumpman

pumpman

Yes please, I was wondering the same thing, although your engineering and talent is waaaaaaay over my head I would appreciate a little more explanation that I hope I can understand. My brain is still throbbing trying to take in what you have created.

7. Stone

Stone

I just saw the row of nickles. Thank you for turning that pile of digested straw into gold.

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'll take a stab at it until Steve answers... What the small connecting arm on the upper bag holder does is keep the faces where the bag mounts on the same plane for the top and bottom mounts. You frequently see air bags with their mount faces on two completely different planes, where one side is stretched and one side is compressed. This doesn't necessarily mean failure, but certainly can contribute. Keeping everything moving on the same plane keeps it all happy.

I'm sure Elpollacko will jump on and give a much better discription of the whys and hows than I can, but I do know it solves some typical problems with bags. 'Course if I'm wrong... Well i'm an idiot too!

9. That's not the arm they were asking about. They're asking about the one that mounts to the top side axle and angles toward the frame.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The one on top of the axle angling in to the frame just behind the bag is the top link for the four link suspension. We are just used to seeing them inboard of the frame going from the axle to a crossmember.

This just gets better as it goes on.

11. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Looks like a triangulated four-link to me. It's just the apparent complexity of the airbag-seat control links that create the momentary impression that it's something other than a triangulated four-link.

I really like that detail, but I'd still like to see what Steve is going to do (or has done - I can't see) for front lateral location and steering.

12. alchemy

alchemy

Yes, I know it's a triangulated 4-link (I also understand how the "mid link" under the airspring is to keep the spring straight). I just wondered how the axle articulated with such a short arc on top, and a long one on the bottom. Usually the top and bottom links are fairly close to the same length front-to-back. It looks to me like this setup would make the nose of the axle change it's angle. Not usually good for the driveshaft.

Steve, do you have some diagrams or somesuch to show how it works?

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Sna?! Yes it's just a typical triangulated four link, and the upper arms are on a different angle than most you'll see in the street rod industry. I do know that Steve sets everything up so that the pinion angle is correct to the trans out put at ride height, and after that you have such a limited amount of articulation through it's natural suspension movement that pinion change will be inconsequential. Look at any triangulated four link from any manufaturer (say TCI for instance) and they will all have shorter upper arms mostly for packaging concerns. Just kinda industry standard.

14. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

Agreed, but unless you are carrying a heavy load or going over some really rough roads, I don't think the pinion angle would change badly enough for long enough to wear out the u-joints.

15. cornfed74

cornfed74
    from Washougal

Damn impressive engineering! Been a lurker for a while but had to join up to say how impressive this build is. Screw the haters who can't look past the rodent for the tech. Thanks for sharing!

16. hotroddeuce

hotroddeuce
    from Mi

DAMN!! That has to be my old body (And NO I had nothing to do with what happened to it after the body ONLY went down the road)I was going to build it on a 32 frame ect. until I came across my deuce
    ELpolacko shoot me a PM if interested I have the door garnish mouldings yet I think and maybe couple other parts yet will have to look around
    [​IMG]

17. Ned,

Front end just uses the shackles connected to the bellcranks for center location. Just as if it had a leaf spring across the front. At ride height the shackles are close to 30º from level so while it may sway or wallow a bit, it's no different than any 30s era car with a drag link. The low center of gravity will also help this track nicely.

If the need arises for some sort of lateral control a simple panhard would be easy enough to add. I have a feeling this will work out just fine.

Here are a few more shots, one with all edges highlighted and one wireframed so you can see the details inside the lift shafts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.

18. If you do have garnish moldings, windshield frame etc that would be very helpful.

19. Attention all you fine gentleHAMB folks, the videos have been shot and uploaded to that YouTUBE site.

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Wow that is some smooth shit man.....

ssssmmmmmmooooooovvvvvveeeeeee...

21. madmike8

madmike8
    from Tennessee

I don't know how you figure all that out in your head.... But that's cool as crap!

22. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

fatboy is now wore out from watchin' all them pushups...

23. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

One word... WOW!

24. I find this transformation from the original POS to this current chasis to be incredible.

I guess you feel this is all in a days work, but to this mere mortal, I say "GREAT JOB Steve, et al"!

25. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

So cool. Dude.. This thing is so awesome.

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

"Here at Disney, we use only the highest tech modern air powered animatronics..."

27. Cshabang

Cshabang

Steve, amazing...as always.

28. That's slicker than snot on a glass door knob!

29. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Thats Awesome!

30. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Man thats so cool! ELP is that setup your own design?