Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT: Racing, Whaddaya watch??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintagesurvivor, Sep 10, 2006.

1. I was a big Trans-Am fan back when. Can Am too. Liked NASCAR up into the mid 70's but can't get interested in it now.

2. RATCAMINO

RATCAMINO

if it has a motor and any number of wheels i will watch it race . i do prefer heeads up drag racing and grass roots dirt track racin

3. I get to travel in my work.. When I am in Asia, there is a TV channel out of Hong Kong, Star Sports. They often show obscure (to us in States) stuff like Diesel Truck racing from Europe and Canada. Hill climbs and rally racing from Europe are always cool as well. Years ago I remember catching some 4wheelers doing timed events running up and down sides of a rock quarry, that was interesting.. There is SOO much more racing going on than what we catch on the US networks.. Lawnmowers for one.. Shifter karts.. Motorcycle hillclimbs are fun to watch as well...

4. 46stude

46stude

NASCAR- was a huge Dale E Sr. fan. I still root for his car (the 29, Harvick). I really like the road course & short track races. Never have cared for the F1 or Indy series. Watching drag racing on TV is like watching paint dry, but watching drag racing in person is awesome.

There's an Aussie series I saw once that I'd watch if I could, but my cable don't carry the station. Its basically like NASCAR used to be, but IIRC they do road courses. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

5. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

ralley racing is pretty exciting

6. NHRA and motorcycle roadracing (AMA superbikes & MotoGP).

IMO, NASCAR has been and continues to spiral downward to the level of professional wrestling. :rolleyes:

7. oletruck

oletruck
    from Hurst, TX

swamp buggys, it's kinda funny when they fall into a hole

8. LongT

LongT

NHRA drag racing. I have too short an attention span for long races. 4.5-6.6 seconds is about it.

Bill

9. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Hardcore motocross fan & I still moto as often as I can.

Also watch F1 as much as I can maintain conciousness at 5:00am and also dig WRC too.

Hate NASCAR with a passion. NASCRAP has done to true racing what MTV did for music...and that aint good.

10. BigMikeC

BigMikeC

I can't stand to watch! I wana particpate! -Mike

11. Blair

Blair
    from xx

man.....there are a lot of people here like me.....

I like it all also....

I race hare scrambles (off-road motorcycles) every now and then....they are a fun race to watch. In person it is hard to beat a Flat track race....especially a short track.

I used to go to the Nascar race at sears point every year, but stopped about 5 years ago when it got too damn crowded. It is fun to watch nascar on a road coarse.

I like American Le mans and have been to a couple of races. I also like go to vintage events like the monterey historics, and the wine country classic.

I like Baja stuff too. I pitted for Pastrana/Grider at last years 1000. If you haven't ever seen a trophy truck in person....GO. They are bad ass. Scary fast. I would write more about them but it gets long-winded.

I like drag racing too. I used to race at sears point on Wed. nights for fun in high school, and I still like going to Famoso for the vintage nitro drags.

Just this last weekend I went to the local sprint car (360 non-wing) races. They are super fun also, I know a couple of guys who run them here. That makes it even better when you can go BS in the pits too.

I guess I like all kinds of racing. I've been toying with the idea of buying a shifter cart. I think I need help.

12. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

I believe you are talking about V8 Supercar racing Down Under. It's done with actual cars you can buy at the dealer on actual road courses....

Mark

13. 46stude

46stude

Thats it. I've watched parts of their races, but I can't get them here. Is it Speedvision that carried them? Pretty good racing.

14. Scrap Heap

Scrap Heap

Sprintcars on dirt without the wings, flattrack motorcycles, vintage drags and the SCTA at El Mirage.

15. slick64

slick64
    from Mobile, AL

F1 is my Favorite. Schumacher is the man. Super human driving ability. I'm going to miss him but I'm rooting for Kimi next year.. Alonso is great but what an Ego. I can't understand why he would leave renault when they have put him in such a great car! It wasn't so great sunday but it has been pretty damn good to him. GO Raikkonen!

American LeMans is great. Been going to road Atlanta for Petit LeMans for the past 6 years. I love the rotary Guys, Jim Downing, an IMSA legend, Is my favorite under dog. I know It's crazy but I have a soft spot for rotary engines.

Speed world challenge is a great series. I don't keep up with it anymore but I like to watch when I can.

Star Mazda is an Awsome amature open wheel series.

And I love watching the top fuel guys. Especially in person!

I used to love Trans AM and still would if they would do something with it. It has just gotten less interesting over the last few years.

Crazy about nastalgia drags. Especially Slingshots.

Rally is great to watch late at night when the family has gone to bed but I don't really keep up with it.

Mike

16. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WRC!
    (World Rally Cup)

17. Rally racing and vintage are tops with me. Sometimes at end of the US rally coverage they would show a little bit on the stock classes, and people flogging some unexpected old cars. Love that!

I've never seem this Australian V8 stuff that someone posted. Sounds like my kinda thing.

I went to watch an Autocross event before I ever ran, I was shocked that people would let you hop in their car with them while they ran. That was cool.

18. I attend NHRA events at Joliet (but only for the nitro classes), occasionally go to Indy, and always hit the vintage road races at Road America in Wisconsin.

NASCAR, as far as I'm concerned, is an anathema to motorsport. I sorta liked it when it was Cale Yarborough and Petty and 426 Stocker rough & tumble, it had a cool hardcore vibe. But now the TV networks have made it into the "NFL on wheels," with teams and playoffs and all that crap; car racing marketed to generic "sports fans" who watch ESPN but don't know anything about cars. To me the lure of racing is about the machinery, and there's nothing remotely interesting about NASCAR's hardware. And I have no clue why I should give a shit if Bobby Ricky or Randy Bobby or Jimmy Jeffdale wins.

19. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

YES,YES,YES, Those bitches can drive!!

20. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

As far as Im concerned, nothing beats ralley racing with newer passenger cars or Baja 250/500/1000 and the Paris-Dakkar. My favorite part of the Baja has to be either Dirtbikes or Trophy trucks. But it is cool to see the V-dubs going over some of that terrain.

21. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Love the drags....have gone to the Indy Nats 3 times..............

I also like watching the nostalgic road racing........Trans Am Camaros, Mustangs...............those old Minis are really cool.

Watch some NASCAR..........just because I participate in a couple of pools.

22. meangreen

meangreen

I find Formula One to be boring. It's a bunch of arrogant millionaires driving around playing follow-the-leader.

NASCAR is getting almost as bad. Most races are won or lost in the pits. I want to see drivers battling for position on the track. I grew up in USAC sprint and midget territory and then spent too any years behind the wheel of short-track stock cars myself to appreciate all that pit strategy crap.

Drag racing is OK if the cars are running "heads up" (Funnycars, Top Fuel, Pro Stock, etc), but it too has become a contest of money. Bracket racing has become a joke with all the electronic crap they use now (stutter boxes, delay switches, electronic throttle stops). The drivers are just passengers in slot-cars. Where's the talent in that?

Road racing is fun to do, but boring to watch. As a spectator, I'm partial to anything that goes fast and turns left on a track where I can see the whole thing and win or lose is up to the drivers. Dirt or asphalt; I've done both and love both. I prefer the sprint cars without wings. The wickedest cars on 4 wheels are the northeastern big-block super modifieds!

23. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Im sure everyone saw the movie "Dust to Glory" right, if not get out and get it today! It will make you want to move to baja , with out a doubt.

24. 2"

2"

I really like watching WTCC (World Touring Car Championship) and the FIA GT Championship. The nitty gritty action and overtaking in WTCC is really nice :D